(Archived) Outlook Send to Evernote Suggestion (Link Back)

Goud

Hello,

It would be helpful if when using the MS Outlook plug-in "Add To Evernote" the note was pre-pended with a link back to the email from which the note was created.

Currently, the only way I know to do this is to use a 3rd party free program called Linker, but it would be a nice time-saver if Evernote created the link.

The only real caveat on linking back to the email item is if you move the item to another folder in outlook, the link no longer works. Many people add an item to Evernote, then archive the item (you know who you are Inbox Zero people!). For people who do this, a link created for the item while it was in the Inbox would become invalid.

I wonder if there could be an archive option in the Evernote plug in? You could optionally specify an Archive Folder associated with the plug in, then the plug in would do the following when clicked:

1. Move the item to the specified Archive folder.
  2. Get the Outlook link to the item's new location
  3. Add the item to Evernote and pre-pend it with the link to the archived item.

Just some thoughts... happy little thoughts...

Hello,

It would be helpful if when using the MS Outlook plug-in "Add To Evernote" the note was pre-pended with a link back to the email from which the note was created.

Currently, the only way I know to do this is to use a 3rd party free program called Linker, but it would be a nice time-saver if Evernote created the link.

The only real caveat on linking back to the email item is if you move the item to another folder in outlook, the link no longer works. Many people add an item to Evernote, then archive the item (you know who you are Inbox Zero people!). For people who do this, a link created for the item while it was in the Inbox would become invalid.

I wonder if there could be an archive option in the Evernote plug in? You could optionally specify an Archive Folder associated with the plug in, then the plug in would do the following when clicked:

• Move the item to the specified Archive folder.
  • Get the Outlook link to the item's new location
  • Add the item to Evernote and pre-pend it with the link to the archived item.
Just some thoughts... happy little thoughts...

I would say this is probably not something EN would do.  Especially since most people (at least IME) try to keep their email file pared down.  IE, after I archive the email into EN, it goes into the "delete" folder.  Once a month or so, I backup my Outlook file & then empty the deleted folder. 

• 3 months later...

I threw together some snippets that may meet your requirements. Surely, there's a lot to improve (I have no clue of VBA outlook programming, so feel free to optimize!).

Background and Objectives: I keep my emails in Outlook, but want to store some of them in Evernote. In Evernote, I tag all items by type (.note or .mail) and what-context (e.g. ':tennis').

Having setup the macro, the workflow is as follows:

DragnDrop an email from your inbox to a folder ('tennis') in your outlook-structure and, after confirming, this email will be flagged and a copy is sent to your evernote account.

This copy contains a link directly back to the email item in outlook. (Note: http://teamscope.com/support/faq.asp#gen-hyperlinks "The Outlook protocol no longer works outside Outlook") Furthermore, the evernote item will be tagged with ".mail" and ":tennis".

I put this in "ThisOutlookSession" (Alt F11 - Microsoft Outlook Objects). No guarantee for absence of errors, so at your own risk, but for me it works quite nice!

Private WithEvents surFolder As Outlook.FolderPrivate Sub Application_Startup() 'Surveilled Inbox Folder  Set surFolder = Outlook.Session.Folders("name of your mailbox").Folders("folder to monitor, e.g. Inbox") End SubPrivate Sub surFolder_BeforeItemMove(ByVal Item As Object, _                  ByVal MoveTo As MAPIFolder, Cancel As Boolean)               Dim featMail As Object                                        If MoveTo Is Nothing Then                       'hard deleted        ElseIf MoveTo.Name = "Deleted Objects" Then    'deleted                   Else:                     'User Prompt          answ = MsgBox("Forward to Evernote?" & vbNewLine & "tags:  .mail, :" & MoveTo.Name, vbOKCancel, "Evernote")                     If answ = 1 Then 'Execute Forward to Evernote            'Cancel move            Cancel = True                       'Flag to indicate evernote export state is true & Move Item to get correct EntryID for Linking            Item.FlagStatus = 2            Set Item = Item.Move(MoveTo)                       'Get Link to Outlook Mail            strLink = "<a href='outlook:" & Item.EntryID & "'>Open in Outlook</a>"                       'Create link-featured Mail for Evernote            Set featMail = Item.Forward            featMail.DeleteAfterSubmit = True            featMail.To = "your evernote email address to submit notes via email"            featMail.Subject = Replace(featMail.Subject, "FW: ", "")            featMail.Subject = featMail.Subject & "@yournotebookinEvernote #:" & MoveTo.Name & "#.mail"            featMail.BodyFormat = olFormatRichText            featMail.BodyFormat = olFormatHTML            featMail.HTMLBody = strLink & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & Item.HTMLBody            'Send to Evernote Account            featMail.Send                     End If        End If               Set featMail = Nothing    End Sub

Archived