(Archived) another limits question - contradictions!

TechGuy

I saw this post and I am reading conflicting answers:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34227-total-account-limit/

which says:

"Each Evernote account is subject to the following limitations:

• 100,000 Notes; each note can be a maximum of 25 megabytes (mb) for free users and 100 megabytes (mb) for Premium users.
  • 250 Synchronized Notebooks (including Notebook Stacks). All 250 notebooks can be shared. There is no limit to the number of Local Notebooks (which aren't synced) you can have.
  • 10,000 Tags.
  • 100 Saved Searches."

I saw this on the business faq:

What is the monthly upload allowance for an Evernote Business account?

Every user that joins an Evernote Business account is automatically upgraded to Evernote Business Premium, which provides a monthly upload allowance of 2GB in their Personal Notebooks every month. The business quota — the amount of new material anyone in the business can put into Business Notebooks — is 2GB times the number of users, shared amongst everyone. For example, if a business has 10 users, the entire team may upload a total of 20GB of new content into Business Notebooks every month! As always, there is no limit on the total amount of data a user can store in Evernote.

Now, at first I didn't think anything of it... but it says "as always" and that confuses me. Are we capped on premium? What about the business plan? Are they capped?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

which says:

• 100,000 Notes; each note can be a maximum of 25 megabytes (mb) for free users and 100 megabytes (mb) for Premium users.
  • 250 Synchronized Notebooks (including Notebook Stacks). All 250 notebooks can be shared. There is no limit to the number of Local Notebooks (which aren't synced) you can have.
  • 10,000 Tags.
  • 100 Saved Searches."

Every user that joins an Evernote Business account is automatically upgraded to Evernote Business Premium, which provides a monthly upload allowance of 2GB in their Personal Notebooks every month. The business quota — the amount of new material anyone in the business can put into Business Notebooks — is 2GB times the number of users, shared amongst everyone. For example, if a business has 10 users, the entire team may upload a total of 20GB of new content into Business Notebooks every month! As always, there is no limit on the total amount of data a user can store in Evernote.

Now, at first I didn't think anything of it... but it says "as always" and that confuses me. Are we capped on premium? What about the business plan? Are they capped?

Thanks!

Hi. Technically speaking, Evernote is incorrect. There is a limit of 9.6 Terabytes based on a hypothetical case of 100,000 notes (the maximum) x 100 MB per note (the maximum). There are other limits, as well (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169).

which says:

• 10,000 Tags.
  • 100 Saved Searches."

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you're finding contradictory, although it may be a bit confusing at first.  IOW, I can have a million gigs of info as long as I have less than 100,000 notes, no more than 250 sync'd notebooks, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not sure I understand.

A limit on the note size and a limit on the number of notes != " there is no limit on the total amount of data a user can store in Evernote"

Well, my issue isn't having 100mb notes, it's the limit of the number of notes. If they are all 1-2 mb and there is a limit... thus my "no limit" is really "limited".

• Level 5*

A limit on the note size and a limit on the number of notes != " there is no limit on the total amount of data a user can store in Evernote"

As I said, Evernote is incorrect. There are many limits in Evernote (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169). Some of them are known, and some of them are not so well known. I think Evernote's point is that they calculate data by the amount uploaded, not the amount stored. This is an important feature that clearly distinguishes them from most other services where you do have to worry about the amount of stuff you have stored.

As I said, Evernote is incorrect. There are many limits in Evernote (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169). Some of them are known, and some of them are not so well known. I think Evernote's point is that they calculate data by the amount uploaded, not the amount stored. This is an important feature that clearly distinguishes them from most other services where you do have to worry about the amount of stuff you have stored.

Lies!! SLANDER! CONSPIRACY!!!

<wonders if they know who shot JFK...?>

• Level 5*

Lies!! SLANDER! CONSPIRACY!!!

<wonders if they know who shot JFK...?>

Well, I think there is a way to make the statement true. Each account has a hard limit, but assuming you reach it, you could open a new account, transfer your Premium subscription to it, and keep adding data. For each "person" the storage is unlimited :)

The information about who shot JFK is in Phil Libin's shared notebook, but I don't know if he'll give you access. He will tell you about funky Japanese signs and wines, though!

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/sharednotebooks.html

I think our statement is pretty fair, in terms of its delivery, and arguing that things aren't *really* unlimited is getting into semantic territory. The total amount you can store with us is theoretically unlimited for two reasons--A--as GM mentioned, you can have multiple accounts, even if they are free--so hit that upward bound on one, and you can always pivot to another, which is pretty easy to do now with account switching. And B--the limitation is not one of total storage but from note count and note size, meaning that storage is fluid, based on those two variables. Storage was "lower" before when Premium note sizes were 50mb, and now it's significantly higher with possible note sizes of 100mb.  Storage, under the system of notes and note sizes, is arbitrary.  Put another way--if you somehow found a glitch in the system and were able to upload 200mb notes and hit that 100,000 note limitation barrier at the same time, essentially doubling the capacity of an Evernote account, you still wouldn't hit a storage limitation.

I might also add that the "unlimited" line is from Evernote Business, which has note limits of 500,000 per user.  So, the upward possible bounds of those accounts are fairly massive.

Again, this is just semantics, but you can truthfully say that there is no limit on storage within Evernote, since the account limitations are upload rate, note, and note size based.

I think our statement is pretty fair, in terms of its delivery, and arguing that things aren't *really* unlimited is getting into semantic territory. The total amount you can store with us is theoretically unlimited for two reasons--A--as GM mentioned, you can have multiple accounts, even if they are free--so hit that upward bound on one, and you can always pivot to another, which is pretty easy to do now with account switching. And B--the limitation is not one of total storage but from note count and note size, meaning that storage is fluid, based on those two variables. Storage was "lower" before when Premium note sizes were 50mb, and now it's significantly higher with possible note sizes of 100mb.  Storage, under the system of notes and note sizes, is arbitrary.  Put another way--if you somehow found a glitch in the system and were able to upload 200mb notes and hit that 100,000 note limitation barrier at the same time, essentially doubling the capacity of an Evernote account, you still wouldn't hit a storage limitation.

I might also add that the "unlimited" line is from Evernote Business, which has note limits of 500,000 per user.  So, the upward possible bounds of those accounts are fairly massive.

Again, this is just semantics, but you can truthfully say that there is no limit on storage within Evernote, since the account limitations are upload rate, note, and note size based.

Symantecs.

GIVE ME UNLIMITED OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!!!

Also, who shot JFK???????? I know in your guy's infinite amounts of data, someone has got to know.

• Level 5*

A new limit there that I did not know about (the "unlimited" line is from Evernote Business, which has note limits of 500,000 per user)!

The problem with the "unlimited" statement is that a single account is not unlimited, and I think it implies this. Let's assume that it means unlimited per "person" instead. When I peak at 100,000 notes and switch to a new account, I run into a problem: the original account will become Free and I will be unable to add any data to the notes in that account. When I get to the third account, then I run into another problem. You can switch between as many Premium accounts as you want, but you can only have one Free account remembered in the app. If you want to switch between more than one Free account, you have to enter your login details each time. Now, the system is looking a lot less "unlimited," isn't it :)

Of course, all of this is hypothetical for most users at the moment. At my current rate of note accumulation, it will be at least another decade before I hit 100,000, and by then we'll all be zombies anyhow. Still, semantics or not, "unlimited" is probably not the best phrase to use. I wouldn't call it a falsehood, or even misleading, but certainly poorly worded, and at best unclear.

I would suggest rephrasing it to stress the important point: once you put something into Evernote, you never have to worry about losing it, or deleting it, even if you later change to a Free account, because Evernote only counts the upload amount, not the amount stored.

A new limit there that I did not know about (the "unlimited" line is from Evernote Business, which has note limits of 500,000 per user)!

The problem with the "unlimited" statement is that a single account is not unlimited, and I think it implies this. Let's assume that it means unlimited per "person" instead. When I peak at 100,000 notes and switch to a new account, I run into a problem: the original account will become Free and I will be unable to add any data to the notes in that account. When I get to the third account, then I run into another problem. You can switch between as many Premium accounts as you want, but you can only have one Free account remembered in the app. If you want to switch between more than one Free account, you have to enter your login details each time. Now, the system is looking a lot less "unlimited," isn't it :)

Of course, all of this is hypothetical for most users at the moment. At my current rate of note accumulation, it will be at least another decade before I hit 100,000, and by then we'll all be zombies anyhow. Still, semantics or not, "unlimited" is probably not the best phrase to use. I wouldn't call it a falsehood, or even misleading, but certainly poorly worded, and at best unclear.

I would suggest rephrasing it to stress the important point: once you put something into Evernote, you never have to worry about losing it, or deleting it, even if you later change to a Free account, because Evernote only counts the upload amount, not the amount stored.

I agree. It was misleading to me until I read the limitations... so limits. :D

On a side note, if only we could store our canned food in Evernote for the Zompocolypse. I'd go business then!!  You could share your resources and zombie notes with all your 'clan'.

Everzombie!!!!!!!  Get on it Evernote!!!

Archived