(Archived) Changing Windows 7 database location without overwrite?

AndyDent

I have just had my SSD die and been replaced (only good bit being I now have a 512GB C drive) so am busy re-installing software.

My documents including Evernote database all live on another drive.

As I have several GB of notes I didn't want Evernote downloading them again. However, there seems no way to change the database location and have it recognise that is an existing database that is almost up to date.

On changing the database location through Tools - Options it warns that there are existing files there and they may be overwritten.

It may be too late by now but is there a way to handle this? It seems a fairly obvious thing even for someone just moving their database between existing drives.

thanks

• Level 5*

This has come up before - the normal suggestion is to drop the 'old' EXB file on top of a newly installed and blank database and let Evernote rebuild the connections.  In your situation though why don't you copy your old database somewhere else for safety,  then change the storage location to point to its present folder?  If there are problems you'll have a backup copy; just restore that over the top of the new version.  If not, you've saved lots of copying around...

I have just had my SSD die and been replaced (only good bit being I now have a 512GB C drive) so am busy re-installing software.

My documents including Evernote database all live on another drive.

As I have several GB of notes I didn't want Evernote downloading them again. However, there seems no way to change the database location and have it recognise that is an existing database that is almost up to date.

On changing the database location through Tools - Options it warns that there are existing files there and they may be overwritten.

It may be too late by now but is there a way to handle this? It seems a fairly obvious thing even for someone just moving their database between existing drives.

thanks

What I do is just install & setup Evernote. Then when it starts to download, fully exit, then copy (not move) my old exb file over the newly created & empty one.

Archived