(Archived) Request: edit tag tree hierarchy in side bar

Jeroen the Stig

Idea

Since I've switched from Windows to OS X, I'm missing a feature that I used a lot when I used Evernote on a Windows PC, namely editing the tag tree hierarchy in the side bar. I'm using Evernote for GTD, based on The Secret Weapon, which means I have a couple of tags, like pending projects, finished projects, reference tags etc. During my GTD weekly review, I usually drag some tags, such as project tags, between my main tags. On the mac, I first have to open the tag editor to drag the tags to another place.

I think editing the tag hierarchy in the tag editor is too cumbersome:

- Hierarchy of tags is messy when there is not enough vertical space

- All tags are collapsed by default. The side bars stores which tags are expanded

- When there is a tag in the side bar I want to move to another place, I first have to open the tag editor, find the tag by expanding the tags, and move it to the right place. 

Hopefully, Evernote will implement this functionality for the mac users.

5 replies to this idea

Another drawback of the tag editor window compared with the side bar:

- Long label names are cut off after 23 characters, so for my project tags (yymmdd <project summary>) I miss the context of it.

Am I the only one who finds the tag editor window awkward? In my Windows 'era' I never used this window, because new tags where directly added to my notes. Now I'm forced to use it because otherwise I cannot edit the tag hierarchy tree. 

I agree. The old Evernote for Mac client used to have this feature, and then in a moment of "form over function", it was removed in Evernote 5. I also always liked the tag window in the Windows client where you could easily see all tags assigned to a note, something which is impossible on the Mac client.

I'm afraid it's never going to happen! I have complained to EN extensively about these issues:

Long tag names are not visible

Can't rearrange tags in the side bar

I even sent them a video of how these issues cause so many problems - but they told me that's the way it's going to stay.

The EN team basically want to dumb the product down, so they can get millions of "users" and then sell the company on and make their fortunes. That's why they want to keep it "simple".

It's also why I am still on version 3.3.0 - and so are the 9 other users in my company!! EN was once a great product that was so promising; but it's slowly gone downhill as they remove or mangle its great features.

Shame.

Archived