(Archived) Why on earth do you have to keep fiddling with things

Eseifani

Idea

It’s a classic: every new version of Evernote, you find some basic functionality of the programme has been modified without any reason — completely throwing your workflow up in the air in the process.  A few versions ago, it used to be that when you opened a note in a separate window, it stayed put: every next note you open takes exactly the same position.  But then they changed this: now every time you open a note in a separate window, it moves a few millimeters to the right.  It looks nicer, when you have several notes open, to have them stacked like a deck of cards, but it is totally useless if you have an Evernote window open side by side with, say, an MS Word document in which you’re writing a report based on stuff from Everenote, as note windows keep creeping on your Word window.  I complained about this a number of times (first I thought it was a bug), but in vain.

And now they’ve changed the way notes are organised by modification date.  Before EN 5.1, adding tags to a note changed its modified date.  It was useful when you had hundreds of untagged notes that you needed to organise.  You have them listed by date modified and scroll down the list, pick a few notes in a general category and add a tag to them, the notes jump to the top of the list, which means you could now go through them one by one to take a closer look, add more tags etc.  Now that’s impossible, for adding new tags no longer changes the modification date, meaning that notes you just tagged won’t jump to the top of the list.  It just uselessly complicates the task of organising notes.

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202013-05

Dear developers: As you can see from the screenshot above, I have a big collection of notes, and I need to be efficient about the way I work with them.  Every little change you make has a huge impact on the way people work.  If you want people to think about EN as a grown up business and productivity service, you have to guarantee stability, and that means that basic functionality cannot be changed willy nilly.  At least gives an option to retain the old way of doing things.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. Not a developer I'm afraid,  though they have been seen hereabouts from time to time. 

I know what you mean about the need for consistency in handling your notes - I've got rather more than twice your total and I'm quite fond of all of them - but at the end of the day it's up to Evernote to decide how best to develop their product.  If they chose to alter something,  it could be because they felt enough users wanted that change;  or it could be that they needed the change to support another feature they were developing.  With feedback like the comments here,  they can decide whether they might want to take back some changes - or maybe they won't. 

Like Darwin said I've learned to adapt or die ..get really frustrated - like with new versions of Windows (what was actually wrong with 3.1 anyway) / Office (ribbons: Ptui!) / smartphones - if this is pocket sized,  I need bigger pockets - it's kind've the story of my life that someone,  somewhere is plotting a release that will make me rethink the benefits of using a specific service.

All we can do is register our feelings,  and if the disruption is sufficient,  consider migrating to another option.

It's possible that this is actually a bug. I'll check on it.

Confirmed - it has been changed by design. Metadata changes (like tags) are no longer considered material changes as far as modification dates are concerned.

Hi. Not a developer I'm afraid,  though they have been seen hereabouts from time to time. 

I know what you mean about the need for consistency in handling your notes - I've got rather more than twice your total and I'm quite fond of all of them - but at the end of the day it's up to Evernote to decide how best to develop their product.  If they chose to alter something,  it could be because they felt enough users wanted that change;  or it could be that they needed the change to support another feature they were developing.  With feedback like the comments here,  they can decide whether they might want to take back some changes - or maybe they won't. 

Like Darwin said I've learned to adapt or die ..get really frustrated - like with new versions of Windows (what was actually wrong with 3.1 anyway) / Office (ribbons: Ptui!) / smartphones - if this is pocket sized,  I need bigger pockets - it's kind've the story of my life that someone,  somewhere is plotting a release that will make me rethink the benefits of using a specific service.

All we can do is register our feelings,  and if the disruption is sufficient,  consider migrating to another option.

I understand all that.  But the way they do things, Evernote only hurts its customers and, ultimately, itself.  I’m an analyst at a consultancy and the only one there to use Evernote, for which I pay from my own pocket.  The other people at the company are too old/technophobic to care.  I was thinking of pushing Evernote on them as a companywide organisation/collaboration tool, but the constant fiddling in CORE FUNCTIONALITY by the developers made me think again.  It would be hard enough to train the dinosaurs in my company to use the service; if I’m going to have to retrain them with every new version of the app, forget about it.

I can understand the logic behind the changes to the way metadata is handled.  Still, it is a significant change to a core function of the whole service, and yet there was no pre-announcement, no public beta, no way to toggle it on and off, nothing.  It’s like “we’re gonna throw your workflow up in the air, just get used to it”.  And the window behaviour change… More than a year later, I still haven't got used to it, for it makes working from an Evernote window arranged side by side with another app quite cumbersome.  And why all that?  Go figure.  I challenge anyone at Evernote to give us a remotely reasonable explanation of why they changed window behaviour.  What value does it add to anyone?

Evernote needs to understand that their user base is no longer made up of enthusiastic early-adopters, but increasingly of people who use the service for serious work.  They need to define a set of core functions that will be tampered with only with extreme caution.

You mention Microsoft, and they are a case in point: the basic functionality of Office has not changed for at least the past 15 years; they’ve added stuff and modified interfaces etc; but if you learned an Excel trick in the mid-90s, it probably still works today.  There is a price to pay for that: bloat and too many preferences.  But that is a price grown-ups software companies have to live with.

A couple of years ago I was probably the most enthusiastic user of Evernote on the planet, now I'm seriously thinking of finding another service.  Congratulations Evernote, you’re losing a loyal client.

You probably don’t care anyway.

I suspect a lot of Evernote users are like me. We dump things into Evernote and later, we search for it. To date, in the 3 or so years I've been using it, Evernote has not changed my ability to do those things in any substantive way. They've improved them in some cases (Clearly is very nice). But, honestly, I work the same way I always have. I bet most people didn't even know there was a horizontal list view before the recent kerfuffle. I don't use Evernote for GTD (how I wish that man had become a plumber). I don't try to make it handle invoices or any number of other things it wasn't designed to do. I'm no saying there's anything wrong with using it to do those things. Just I don't do them. And, again, I think most people who use Evernote don't.

If Evernote tries to make the product be all things to all people (please, please, please don't turn it into yet another GTD program!) or conversely, stops improving it, then it will hurt its business.

For what it's worth, I read a thread within the last 24 hours ago where someone begged for having tag changes not change the edit date. Their point was that what they were editing was not the note but the tagging structure. So, for that person, this change in "core function" improved their ability to use Evernote.

Best of luck.

It's possible that this is actually a bug. I'll check on it.

Confirmed - it has been changed by design. Metadata changes (like tags) are no longer considered material changes as far as modification dates are concerned.

Conversely, this is actually a feature I have wanted for a long time. i always found it annoying that the modified date (which I usually sort my notes by) updated when I added or removed a tag. It makes my notes management easier.

Archived