All notes deleted upon app update

I just had all of my notes from the past 7 hours deleted after using the app - I've been connected to the Internet the whole time, and signed into my account. I saw there was an update, and installed it - when I logged back in, all of my notes were deleted from today. Seems like a pretty big oversight to delete all of your data when updating the application, especially without giving any warning.

I've submitted a ticket already, but this information is time sensitive. Does anyone know how to recover this data?

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums,  sorry about the circumstances.

Upgrades don't,  as a rule,  delete notes.  It seems possible that since you logged back in,  you did so into a second account somehow - could you have created two accounts at any time?  If you log in by user name and/ or by email address,  try going to the web version of Evernote and logging in with both credentials.  You may find your notes there (provided they were saved from the client you were using).

The other,  less favourable option,  would be that you logged out of an Android or iPad session without syncing the notes as you created them,  which could well mean they were lost.

If you don't hear from support soon,  let us know exactly what clients you were using for your notes,  how you upgraded and what you logged back into,  and we may be able to offer more help.

I know that I'm logged into the correct account - before taking all of the notes this morning, I sent myself an email, and that one note was saved on my account (so I know the rest of the notes were taken on that account)

I was using the iPad application. I had finished taking a set of notes, went to the App Store, and saw an update. I updated the application and opened EN back up. I logged back in, and the only note that was there was the snippet that I had emailed myself earlier. Hopefully this helps, I never closed the app or anything; I just updated it, and it seems strange that the update would wipe all the information.

• Level 5*

Not an iPad user I'm afraid,  so I don't know at what point your local notes are saved and safe.  They're not truly secure though until synced with the server - which isn't necessarily immediate.  If there's no chance you have a duplicate account we'd better wait for Support to advise whether they can help...

Ok, thanks for your help. I was connected to the Internet for around 5 hours and it was never synced, despite having the sync option set to "sync." I still can't believe that the application would remove all my notes during an upgrade - although reading through previous issues of people losing information, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised...

• 4 months later...

Hey, did you have any luck with this?  I have had the exact same issue, i lost all my notes during an update and just cant get them back.  I too have issued a ticket but am still yet to have a response?  I am using an iPhone 4.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks

So i uninstalled and reinstalled and it has recovered all of my notes, so thank you for suggesting this.  But seriously, i have been panicking for 2 weeks over this waiting for the evernote support team to respond to my ticket, they haven't.  How can such a simple thing as updating an app cause this large a problem?  EN really need to get their s@#t together!

• Level 5*

Well in my experience with IT s@#t happens quite frequently whatever you happen to be doing.  As to a 2-week response time,  did you get a quick acknowledgement and a ticket number?  If not,  the request didn't get processed for whatever reason.  I wouldn't think that this is a normal waiting period - otherwise there'd be even more unhappy campers commenting here!

• 1 year later...

Evernote seemed so useful, I was relying on it for important notes. An upgrade was offered, and I agreed to it. The next thing I knew, all my notes were gone!

To say I was dismayed and chagrined I s putting in mildly.

This all took place on my iPad.

Evernote seemed so useful, I was relying on it for important notes. An upgrade was offered, and I agreed to it. The next thing I knew, all my notes were gone!

To say I was dismayed and chagrined I s putting in mildly.

This all took place on my iPad.

Have you used your desktop computer to log into www.evernote.com to see if your notes are still there? If they are there, then you have not lost any data. 

Archived