Sort Evernote table by one columnm, ascending or descending - can it be done?

• 1 month later...

Yes.

This has to be done in Firefox.

1) Open Firefox
2) Download TableTools2.

3) Create the table in EN on your PC . Use the top row as your header row.

4) Sync with EN web client.

5) Click on the edit icon (the pencil in the header section)

6) Right click in the header section of the column you want to sort / filter.

7) Scroll down to TableTools2 - select your sort/ filter option.

8) Sort

9) Click on Done

10) Sync with EN client

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I'm very surprised with all the other stuff Evernote does that this isn't part of it's basic functions.

Why is there no way to sort table data in Evernote? Could you put this on your to-do list?

My work around right now for this is to use my pc version, copy my table into Word, sort it there then move it back into Evernote. Rather cumbersome don't you think?

I think the other method posted here about sorting it in Firefox browser is also awkward.

Thanks

• Like 4
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, feufuk said:

@Evernotes team - Still no update on this one..?? 

For those interested in adding a sort function to Evernote, you might be interested in this discussion https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24043-how-to-sort-the-text-within-a-note/?do=findComment&comment=397677

Mac Platform Solution

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, TdeV said:

Doesn't help at all if one is not on a Mac, DTLow :(

Dear Evernote, we still want this, ya' know. :)

I agree, we really need this sort feature, in all platforms supported by Evernote.

For now, the best workaround is to cut the table in the EN Note, paste into a word processor like MS Word, do the sort, copy, and paste back into the EN Note.  Automation tools like AutoHotKey can  help you do this.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, TdeV said:

And where would this be?

Its right here.  You found it.  Windows Desktop Product Feedback

I picked that to honour the platform of the original poster, even though its a multi-platform request, and I'm a Mac user. 
I've been told we'll be a multi-platform feedback queue, but until then - this is it.

• 5 months later...

In general, I find Evernote tables to be poorly implemented.  I would much prefer that they leave the simple tables alone as they are easy to use for a basic table that a user might need.  Going forward for a proper solution, they should add embedded Google Doc spreadsheets in a scrollable frame inside a note for advanced table use  This is a far better solution then having the Evernote team waste their time to re-invent spreadsheet features for their existing tables.  

I am only a web user, and I have been frustrated by poor table/spreadsheet support, so I've been working on a Greasemonkey script to embed a Google Doc spreadsheet into an online Evernote page.  See the screenshot below.

It contains an embedded Google doc spreadsheet in my Evernote note page. It's a live spreadsheet, in that changes made in the spreadsheet are also stored back into Google Docs and changes made at Google Docs are reflected into the Evernote page.

I'm making this my own solution for now, until Evernote adds something permanent along these lines. 

Pros: easy, full Google Doc spreadsheet integration, live data
Cons: custom solution, possibly not supported in desktop clients, not available and/or difficult to do on small screen mobile clients, and spreadsheets are not searchable. 

yenxYQO.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Brian64 said:

In general, I find Evernote tables to be poorly implemented.

Agreed.  Or, it could be stated as "a very limited implementation".

54 minutes ago, Brian64 said:

I would much prefer that they leave the simple tables alone as they are easy to use for a basic table that a user might need.  Going forward for a proper solution, they should add embedded Google Doc spreadsheets in a scrollable frame inside a note for advanced table use 

I have no objections to this, but not as a primary solution to the poor table implementation.   I don't want to be dependent on a online Internet connection to Google to do basic table manipulations.

I would guess that many, perhaps most, of us just want decent table formatting in Evernote.  We are NOT asking for spreadsheet calculations capability.  For that I just embed an Excel file.  But it would be most helpful to insert, delete, move, format rows and columns, and to sort the table based on one or more columns.  We can insert and delete now, but not the other stuff.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
On 7/20/2016 at 7:18 PM, Brian64 said:

In general, I find Evernote tables to be poorly implemented.  I would much prefer that they leave the simple tables alone as they are easy to use for a basic table that a user might need.  Going forward for a proper solution, they should add embedded Google Doc spreadsheets in a scrollable frame inside a note for advanced table use  This is a far better solution then having the Evernote team waste their time to re-invent spreadsheet features for their existing tables.  

I am only a web user, and I have been frustrated by poor table/spreadsheet support, so I've been working on a Greasemonkey script to embed a Google Doc spreadsheet into an online Evernote page.  See the screenshot below.

It contains an embedded Google doc spreadsheet in my Evernote note page. It's a live spreadsheet, in that changes made in the spreadsheet are also stored back into Google Docs and changes made at Google Docs are reflected into the Evernote page.

I'm making this my own solution for now, until Evernote adds something permanent along these lines. 

Pros: easy, full Google Doc spreadsheet integration, live data
Cons: custom solution, possibly not supported in desktop clients, not available and/or difficult to do on small screen mobile clients, and spreadsheets are not searchable. 

yenxYQO.png

Can you kindly share your Greasemonkey script solution?  I would like to have the ability to link a Google Spreadsheet inside of EN and have it be an editable, "Live" document.  Thanks.

• 8 months later...
On 2/19/2016 at 9:15 PM, DTLow said:

Its right here.  You found it.  Windows Desktop Product Feedback

I picked that to honour the platform of the original poster, even though its a multi-platform request, and I'm a Mac user. 
I've been told we'll be a multi-platform feedback queue, but until then - this is it.

Could you add a link to the vote directly. There are 1000+ ideas and searching is tedious when you do not know the phrase to search. We must have this basic functionality in EN. To have tables and not being able to sort is not good enough. Please assist

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2013 at 12:21 AM, Rykmann said:

Yes.

This has to be done in Firefox.

1) Open Firefox
2) Download TableTools2.

3) Create the table in EN on your PC . Use the top row as your header row.

4) Sync with EN web client.

5) Click on the edit icon (the pencil in the header section)

6) Right click in the header section of the column you want to sort / filter.

7) Scroll down to TableTools2 - select your sort/ filter option.

😎 Sort

9) Click on Done

10) Sync with EN client

It's 2018 and the TableTools2 addon seem to be now defunct. 

19 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

More importantly, if it is that easy to do, why hasn't Evernote built in sorting in all of their apps?

It's a head-scratcher, that's for sure. 

You've got to question WHY the Evernote team refuses to implement this improvement. Is there an ulterior motive? 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, jasecutler said:

Is there an ulterior motive? 

I'm not seeing an "ulterior motive" other than not adding complexity/bloat to the product.
There's also funding for the development work; the majority of users are unwilling to fund this product.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, jasecutler said:

Is there an ulterior motive? 

Your question is a bit of a head-scratcher. What possible "ulterior motive" could there be? What' do you think? Is there a conspiracy underlying this? Do we need to launch a federal investigation? 

I suspect that the answer is somewhat more prosaic.

I can think of lots of reasons why Evernote might not implement this particular feature, but none of them are ulterior. They're just part of what any developer goes through when deciding which features get implemented and which ones don't. The article Minus 100 Points illustrates one way to think about it, in the context of deciding which features ought to go into the C# programming language: "Every feature starts out in the hole by 100 points, which means that it has to have a significant net positive effect on the overall package for it to make it into the language. Some features are okay features for a language to have, they just aren't quite good enough to make it into the language". Also, remember that every feature requires resources that are taken away from other features.

Personally, I think that it wold be cool to have sortable tables, with the ability to have spreadsheet-like formulas etc., and I know that that's not a huge technological task, but I'd have to rate that as nice-to-have, but probably not a requirement for a lot of Evernote's users.  It's most likely really that simple.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Oh, @jefito, you and your persistent rationality! :o My take is that for some people, this is a huge primary need, for others it would be nice to have, and for others it's not even on our radar. It's hard (it's certainly hard for me) to realize that something that seems so obvious and essential to one's own work is not one of the major needs of many other users.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It's hard (it's certainly hard for me) to realize that something that seems so obvious and essential to one's own work is not one of the major needs of many other users.

Ha-ha -- I'd say that that more or less the nutshell version of "dealing with other humans" (AKA the human condition). Most of us struggle with that; I know I do.

But understanding another's needs is only one aspect, in this case; the other piece of the equation is balancing one's own situation with someone else's needs. It's usually a bancing act. . Or to put it into context, many feature requests vs. finite resources. In that world, you take your best guess at what's important, and try to do that.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've looked through this, and I'm sure most people may have already thought of or done this, but for the newbies, just dumping the data to Excel, sorting and then pasting it back into the Evernote Table works pretty simply.

- Highlight the entire table (the little, "equal" sign in the circle at the top of the table) >> Edit >> Copy

- Go to a blank Excel Spreadsheet and Edit >> Paste

- Highlight the data >> Data >> Sort

- Edit >> Copy

- Go back to Evernote - should still be highlighted >> Edit >> Paste (do not Match Style - puts everything into one cell or column)

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, buzz0x0000 said:

I've looked through this, and I'm sure most people may have already thought of or done this, but for the newbies, just dumping the data to Excel, sorting and then pasting it back into the Evernote Table works pretty simply.

That will only work if your Excel copy/paste faithfully reproduces the original row/column layout. I've seen cases where pasting (at least from the Evernote Windows application) into Excel does not do this. So while this is a good idea, it may not work well in practice.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, buzz0x0000 said:

just dumping the data to Excel,

Evernote supports limited features for tables and sorting.

For extended features, I recommend working in an app like Excel instead of trying to copy the data back and forth.  The document can be stored in a note as an attachment.

• 3 years later...
  • Level 5

If nobody posted for 3 years in this thread, it is a pretty clear indication that sorting tables is not the latest hot ***** - far from it, like it or not.

A table in EN is a HTML structure, mainly a formatting feature. It is not a spreadsheet and does not try to be one.

• Haha 1