(Archived) Who is cjtucker and why are my notes shared with this person?

I usually don't use the web version of EN, but was checking it out to see how the new reminder feature works.  Normally I use the Windows desktop software.   Today I discovered that some of my notes are being shared with someone called cjtucker.  I have attached a screen shot showing this.  If a make a new note it is automatically shared with cjtucker.  I did not share my notes with this person.  Who is cjtucker and how can I stop sharing with this person?  How can I locate all of the notes shared with this person?

The desktop version of EN does not show the notes as being shared.  

post-43706-0-32403700-1369827881_thumb.j

• Level 5*

Hi. That certainly sounds odd. Could you attach a screenshot, or put the screenshot in a shared note and give us the link? Thanks. You can find your shared notes by putting sharedate:* into the search field. Yu should be able to turn off sharing for each note without any problem. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for why they were shared in the first place.

Hi Magnus,

I think this one needs to be sorted as soon as possible to find out the reason why. I and the other Evangelists could go through a lot of things for you but I think it may be better to turn this into a ticket which I am about to do.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Thanks for the screenshot. Could I ask for one more of the same note in Windows? The reason I asked is that (assuming you have synced everything) it ought to be impossible in the first place to get a shared note only on one client (the Web is actually quite important, because it tells you what is on Evernote's servers). Of course, I'm also interested in finding out how the note got shared, but that is something (as Chris said) that customer support will have to examine.

Can you provide us with a screenshot of your notebooks? (Just the notebook icons if necessary, maybe both web and windows client) The icon will tell us whether it is a shared notebook or not.

That is the only way that I know that a note will automatically be shared when created.

After doing some more testing here is what I found.  

I create a lot of my notes using my EN email address.  It is only notes that I email to EN that are automatically shared with cjtucker.  The desktop client gives no indication that the note is shared. I have attached a screenshot from the desktop client of the same note that is shared on the web client.  This has been going on for awhile.  I looked back as far as 2011 at notes that I emailed to EN, and they are shared with cjtucker.

post-43706-0-45099600-1369831577_thumb.j

That blue symbol certainly says it is shared Grumpy.

Magnus,

Right click the 'Blue Notebook' symbol and select sharing. Have a look and you will probably see under 'Manage permissions' that you have shared with another email address.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

It would appear, then, that the notebook is shared, and this information is simply being conveyed differently on the user interfaces. It would be nice if this could be unified a little more across clients, and Evernote has some more work to do in this regard.

Now, the sharing issue. Have you shared this notebook with anyone in the past? Let's say you shared it with Chris. You might know him as Chris, but his username is cjtucker, and that is why he is there. It isn't how long your notes have been shared (2011 is probably the oldest note in the notebook) that is an issue. It is how the notebook got shared in the first place.

Mystery solved.  A few years ago I shared a notebook with a co-worker and in the desktop client that Notebook shows that it is shared with my co-workers email address, which is as it should be. The individual notes in that notebook do not show that the note is being shared. The web client of EN shows the name of the person you are sharing with on each note when you are in edit mode.  Unbeknownst to me, my co-work was using his correct email address, but a fake name on his EN account.  It was the fake name showing up on the web client that got me panicked.  Thanks for the quick responses and I apologize for the false alarm. 

Archived