(Archived) Feedback for Evernote on the Mac: Version 5.1.3

GrumpyMonkey

Idea

• Level 5*

This thread is for general feedback on the Evernote app for Mac, and though you are welcome to post whatever you like along those lines, let's not post only about the horizontal view. We already have a lively discussion going about that (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38283-view-missing-in-511/), and there are other things that we'd like to see improved as well.

(1) Search inconsistent

- Sometimes a search works, sometimes it doesn't. Just now I did a search for intitle:index and got 0 notes. I cleared the search to do it again and got 123 notes. This has been reported for previous versions as well. Is it just me, or are other people seeing this as well?

(2) New Note

- Now it doesn't tell me where I am making the new note in the toolbar. I am OK with this, because I only have one notebook. However, I should note that I removed all of my shared and joined notebooks because I was inadvertently creating notes in them that were being seen by everyone as a result of the combination of shared/joined notebooks in the fall. I guess if no one else is having this problem, then that is fine, but if they are, I strongly consider revisiting the workflow to find a way to ensure that we post in the intended notebook.

(3) Note history view broken

- The note content is not displayed properly within the box. This has been reported for previous versions as well. Is it just me, or are other people seeing this as well?

24 replies to this idea

AppleScript support seems to be broken. I have a rather complex script that was working fine before and is now broken, and in troubleshooting it, even this simple script won't work:

tell application id "com.evernote.evernote"

synchronize

set foundNotes to find notes "notebook:Inbox tag:todo"

repeat with aNote in foundNotes

open note window with aNote

end repeat

end tell

I just get this error message in Applescript Editor: "Evernote got an error: Can't get note id..."

I experienced a similar issue. After the 5.1.3 version installed, Evernote would freeze upon starting up, and I had to force quit. However, when I reverted to version 5.0.7 it would experience the exact same issue, and I have no way of accessing my notes.

My Evernote app didn't show any of my notes after upgrading to 5.1.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.8. It then crashed. I reported the crash to Evernote upon restart, but I still had no notes. I reverted to 5.0.7 and everything is working again. 

Having no notes after the upgrade makes me nervous as I lost all of my notes on one of these upgrades one major revision ago (i think going from v3 to v4) and had to pull them off of my CrashPlan after downgrading the app.

Thanks GM good to see you still here, all good here just busy :unsure:

In snippet: Select a note to be copied > Right click > copy note link > select the receiving note > right click in the note body > paste

Didn't you have trouble replicating this when it happened previously?

I'll try tomorrow. Batch links were broken for a while. Now they aren't, thank goodness. I was working from list view and didn't see that. Does list view work for you?

Same here. It's working fine in snippet and list view. Both single and batch links are pasting correctly.

• Level 5*

In snippet: Select a note to be copied > Right click > copy note link > select the receiving note > right click in the note body > paste

I'll try tomorrow. Batch links were broken for a while. Now they aren't, thank goodness. I was working from list view and didn't see that. Does list view work for you?

• Level 5*

(5) Note links broken.  Again displaying as a blue hyperlink rather than the green note name

Hey. Long time no see. I am not experiencing this. Could you explain how you are producing the blue links?

Odd anomaly: When I use the Paste to Evernote shortcut from Safari, certain content, particularly from Wikipedia, doesn't show up in Recent Notes in the Sidebar, even though it's sitting happily in the Snippet view. Other times Wikipedia extractions show up fine.

• Level 5*

(4) Focus lost

- If there is a search term in the search field, the screen often goes blank while I am editing a note, even though the search term is still relevant to the note. For example, just now I was editing my note that contains all of my search strings. I searched for intitle:saved, found the note, edited one line of text inside of it, and poof! It was gone. This has been reported for previous versions as well. Is it just me, or are other people seeing this as well?

Missed this post earlier, just tested in a few different ways and it's working fine on my end.

Are you seeing it when you have an intitle: search in the search field?

It's working fine with intitle: and the all others tested. I can edit, save, add/remove attachments, do everything. The search term, note and search related notes (snippet view) all remain where they should be.

Thanks for checking. I'll make another video of it and send it along to the developers. It sounds like I am on my own with this one.

(4) Focus lost

- If there is a search term in the search field, the screen often goes blank while I am editing a note, even though the search term is still relevant to the note. For example, just now I was editing my note that contains all of my search strings. I searched for intitle:saved, found the note, edited one line of text inside of it, and poof! It was gone. This has been reported for previous versions as well. Is it just me, or are other people seeing this as well?

Missed this post earlier, just tested in a few different ways and it's working fine on my end.

It's working fine with intitle: and the all others tested. I can edit, save, add/remove attachments, do everything. The search term, note and search related notes (snippet view) all remain where they should be.

• Level 5*

(4) Focus lost

(4) Focus lost

(1) For searches, there seems to be nothing I can do about it within the app. It is hit or miss, and the best solution I have found is to just use Spotlight if I am busy, because I don't have time to keep redoing searches. It works OK.

I'm using spotlight too but it slows down my workflow, other option is Bubble Browser -http://bubblebrowserapp.com-  but takes time to get used to it in everyday use.

• Level 5*

(1) Search inconsistent

- Sometimes a search works, sometimes it doesn't. Just now I did a search for intitle:index and got 0 notes. I cleared the search to do it again and got 123 notes. This has been reported for previous versions as well. Is it just me, or are other people seeing this as well?

I'm seeing the same, it was also present on previous versions, sometimes I have to do it 3 or 4 times to get results. My search also hangs and then crashes sometimes when I start typing.

- The note content is not displayed properly within the box. This has been reported for previous versions as well. Is it just me, or are other people seeing this as well?

Mine displays fine but haven't used it enough to be conclusive.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that it isn't just me.

I think that, if anything, the situation has gotten worse over time for me. Today has been full of incorrect search and lost focus incidents. For you and anyone else experiencing this, there are some workarounds.

(1) For searches, there seems to be nothing I can do about it within the app. It is hit or miss, and the best solution I have found is to just use Spotlight if I am busy, because I don't have time to keep redoing searches. It works OK.

(2) For the lost focus, the best solution I have found is to double click and open up a note in a new window if I want to edit it. Otherwise, I have to keep trying to go back and find it. It's OK, but rather inefficient.

(1) Search inconsistent

I'm seeing the same, it was also present on previous versions, sometimes I have to do it 3 or 4 times to get results. My search also hangs and then crashes sometimes when I start typing.

Mine displays fine but haven't used it enough to be conclusive.

• Level 5*

I see 5.1.3 (on my machines) but I don't see an announcement. Am I being especially stoopid? :-)

I don't know if you would receive an announcement or not. I can't say. I think I got one :)
  • Level 5*

(4) Focus lost

Archived