(Archived) Change of direction at Evernote - GTD?

• Level 5

In their very first sentence - GTD?
Hmmm....

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -   -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 

About Us

Our goal at Evernote is to help the world remember everything, communicate effectively and get things done.

From saving thoughts and ideas to preserving experiences to working efficiently with others, Evernote’s collection of apps make it easy to stay organized and productive.

http://evernote.com/corp/

• Level 5*

"Getting things/stuff done": a general aim of most people, and of which various methodologies could apply.

GTD: a specific time-management methodology, rooted in the writings of David Allen.

I see it mainly as #1; I don't see Evernote subscribing to any particular methodology, but will offer some general, simple facilities, as has been their wont to this point.

As David Allen states, there is no perfect system: Key GTD principles for myself are 1) Your mind is a focusing tool, not a storage device > get things out of your head .  2) Workflow Managment:  > capture everthing (stuff) , transform suff into next actions, execute on your next actions. 3) Your system should focus your mind on the right things at the right time.    The Secret Weapon (TSW) on youtube is an attempt to apply GTD principles within the Evernote environment, and I find it useful to a degree and highly recommend it (Reading the GTD book recommended). TSW has you use your notebooks and tags in a certain way.  I agree Evernote does not follow a particular methodology, but is a breakthrough for managing "knowledge work" no matter how you use it.  The more I think about it, I dont think there is a perfect way of leveraging evernote (many good ideas out there).   Add a calendar and contact management and we have a winner.

• Level 5*

I hope Evernote is following the low case "gtd" route and not the David Allen version - I hate prescriptive software that requires you learn and follow a very specific routine;  I'd far rather have the 'lego kit' that is Evernote - you take from it what you need,  and use it how you can.  It's possible to build quite complex processes and very simple ones to suit individual need.  And it aids creativity rather than stifling it.

In their very first sentence - GTD?

Hmmm....

About Us

Our goal at Evernote is to help the world remember everything, communicate effectively and get things done.

"Remember everything"

OK they've got that one down.  Thanks to browser plugins and the iphone app, I can use it as a ubiquitous capturing tool.

"Communicate effectively"

not sure they've got this one down, I don't see Evernote as a communication tool although I would love to have fully integrated email in Evernote.

"Get things done"

Calendar integration would be nice but the reminders are already a huge step forward, I hope the windows version follows soon.

I agree with Gazumped that Evernote should remain software you can use as you want, I don't think they mean David Allen's GTD specifically either...  I sure hope Evernote will continue to evolve to even be better for GTD.  Again the reminders are a huge step forward.

Archived