(Archived) Better PDF Search?

Hi,

I am using Evernote to hold some of my pdf books but its bit disappointing.

The problem is that when searching, I am getting listed only pdf's which contain the searched phrase - thats completely unusable... :(

I get the pdf names but when I am keeping more books about some specific topic each of hundereds of pages, all of them are listed and its not clear which one is the right one based of on what I am looking for...

Are there any plans for enhancing the way how the evernote works with the pdf's (like showing the result in context of few other lines)? - its really not much usable now... :(

• Level 5

Are there any plans for enhancing the way how the evernote works with the pdf's (like showing the result in context of few other lines)? - its really not much usable now... :(

Evernote's search capability is awesome! I have over 20,000 notes and almost half of them are PDF's.

It finds stuff I have completely forgotten about.

But it is not a mind-reader. You have to put some effort into a system to let Evernote find the stuff you want.

My solution is to use Evernote search grammar to its maximum ability by narrowing the possible results:

Some search examples that can be combined to refine the search:

1.) Only PDF's: resource:application/pdf

2.) Consistent structure with titles: YYYY MM DD Subject

3.) Specific Date Range: created:20130201 -created:20130301

4.) Only quotations: tag:quote

5.) Key phrases: "pot calling the kettle black"

6.) Key words: wedding

7.) Stacks and notebooks also help refine your searches

There are many other ways to find info in Evernote.

Yes - the search ability is fantastic but my concern is that when I am searching in my library and the information is in some pdf file, I in fact can't see what exactly I have found but only list of files containing the string....

Just imagine that 30 books are listed but you have to open each of them to see if that is what you are looking for.

In short, I miss a list of results found in the pdf files...-nothing more, nothing less... 

• Level 5*

Hi,

I am using Evernote to hold some of my pdf books but its bit disappointing.

The problem is that when searching, I am getting listed only pdf's which contain the searched phrase - thats completely unusable... :(

I get the pdf names but when I am keeping more books about some specific topic each of hundereds of pages, all of them are listed and its not clear which one is the right one based of on what I am looking for...

Hi. Welcome to the forums. In addition to JB's excellent suggestions, I also suggest you consider textifying all of your books (extract the text and put that into Evernote in addition to, or in place of the PDFs). I've found this to be tremendously helpful (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127).  Your mileage may vary.

Archived