Using Evernote to help organize a moving sale

QuikaTB

Hello,

We recently decided to downsize our home here in Singapore and as a result found ourselves with quite a few items we wanted to sell. I tried e-Bay but found it to be quite cumbersome. I ultimately decided to use Evernote. I used Evernote on my iPad to take pictures of the items I had for sale, and then recorded the dimensions and price in the note field. For electronics I used Web Clipper to take snapshot of the manufacturer web sites listing the technical specifications and pasted that into a note along with the picture I took from my ipad. When I was done, I had a notebook with all the items I wanted to sell, the technical specs and the price.  

I then made the notebook Public and created a memorably bit.ly link to the notebook and referenced the bit.ly link the paper flyers I posted on various message boards and my Craigslist listings (one point to note here Craigslist doesn't like url redirection so it complained about bit.ly references. I worked around that by simply embedding the link in an image). Bit.ly lets me track clicks to the notebook. When Items sell, I use Skitch to update the image showing the item was sold, or simply move that item to another notebook thus preventing someone from calling on items I have already sold.  As I move closer to our move date, i will begin lowering my asking prices and posting the current highest offer for any item. 

In one small project I used Evernote, on my iPad and Mac, as well as Webclipper, and Skitch.

By way of example I have uploaded one of the ads I posted on Craigslist. If interested the bit.ly link is http://bit.ly/tbmove

Tim

post-131788-0-52635300-1369565565_thumb.

• Level 5

Thanks for the idea.

I'm getting ready to move as well. Keeping a record of the items sold and items moved would be helpful

The issue I would have is that people concerned with security would avoid clicking the link from an unknown person.

I don't know how to get around that issue.

I did a similar thing so that people in a large email list I am on could click on my link and see photos of the items I offered for sale. Evenote makes your note look great!

Thanks for the idea.

I'm getting ready to move as well. Keeping a record of the items sold and items moved would be helpful

The issue I would have is that people concerned with security would avoid clicking the link from an unknown person.

I don't know how to get around that issue.

Good point, I'm not sure how to get around that either although I don't actually send them the link, I merely post it and they have to enter it into their browser, but your point is still valid. 

Good luck on your upcoming move.

Tim

Archived