(Archived) Double database after upgrade?

LunaBooks

Idea

The last version that I was running was installed off the Evernote website (because it wasn't available in the Mac App Store yet then). I wanted to upgrade today, and the Evernote website referred me to the appstore, from which I downloaded and installed. It did say I hadn't "purchased" before.

After installation, I saw that tons of notes weren't there yet, and had to be re-downloaded. Also, my "recent notes" referred to the notes that were there before I did the previous update from the Evernote website. This made me think that maybe I now have 2 databases stored on my Mac? One for the version downloaded straight from the Evernote site (previous version) and on for the version that I downloaded from the Mac appstore today?

It is so strange that none of the recent notes (a few hundred) seemed to be there, and also that my recent notes weren't correct.

Any input on this? How do I find out?

TIA!

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the Forums.  I'm not a Mac user so take any advice with a tiny pinch of salt - but I don't think it was the best plan to download a new version while still running the old one.  An update would do exactly that to your existing database.  A duplicate install - even if you then open it with your existing username/ password combo - would most likely start to download your 'old' database all over again; and I'm not sure what that would do to the copy stored on your local computer.  It might overwrite the existing version,  or just create a duplicate as you suggest.  Certainly it sounds like you're currently seeing the partly-downloaded contents of your database,  and if you give it a day or two more,  you should get the whole thing.

Suggestions:  If you want to do a clean up and make sure there are no mystery databases stored locally -

1. Give it a day or two in case someone else here has a better idea,  or your notes download in full and you don't want to do any more.
  2. If neither of the above applies,  grab a hot drink and ...
  3. Have a look at these two posts - http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26267-howto-back-up-a-mac-database-answered/ and http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494
  4. Use a browser to check the web version of your account and make sure you've still got all your data
  5. Disconnect from the internet and backup (see link#1 above) your existing local database -just in case- and remove (link#2) everything you can find from your computer.
  6. Reconnect to the web and start over - install Evernote, log in with your existing details and wait for the full download to give you all your notes.  If you have a lot of content it might  take a day or two.
  7. Next time you have the urge to update,  use the 'check for new version' option in Evernote!!

Good luck..

Thanks for your reply, gazumped! As soon as I opened the newly installed Evernote, it immediately downloaded all my notes. I have a 120 Mb internet connection, so things go super fast, even though it had hundreds of notes (including hundreds of pdf's) to download. Everything is there, except now I don't know if there's duplicates on my harddrive or not. I'll go check your two links and see what I can find!

• Level 5*

Glad you have all your notes, anyways.  You might want to remember the First Rule of computing too - "If it works,  don't mess with it.."  -unless you;re running really short of hard drive space,  I wouldn't worry about possible duplicates...

The last version that I was running was installed off the Evernote website (because it wasn't available in the Mac App Store yet then). I wanted to upgrade today, and the Evernote website referred me to the appstore, from which I downloaded and installed. It did say I hadn't "purchased" before.

After installation, I saw that tons of notes weren't there yet, and had to be re-downloaded. Also, my "recent notes" referred to the notes that were there before I did the previous update from the Evernote website. This made me think that maybe I now have 2 databases stored on my Mac? One for the version downloaded straight from the Evernote site (previous version) and on for the version that I downloaded from the Mac appstore today?

It is so strange that none of the recent notes (a few hundred) seemed to be there, and also that my recent notes weren't correct.

Any input on this? How do I find out?

TIA!

Not sure if this was answered, but the app store version and non app store version store notes in a different location on your computer.  Search the forum and you'll be able to find the location (don't have a link offhand).  If you have a big account , you may want to delete the storage from the old version you're  no longer using to save space on your hard drive. 

Thanks for all the replies!

My question that remains now is what version I should use; the mac appstore version or evernote's website version - if there's a difference. The previous time it installed, the evernote website gave me an install file to download. Yesterday, the evernote website redirected me to the appstore, so I downloaded it there. I figured there was no difference, I'd just get the latest version! Apparently there IS a difference!

The joys of Evernote... the gift that keeps giving...

Today I install a minor new version, and find Horizontal List View is gone!!!  Which is indispensable for me.  But after looking in the forums, I find after a flood of protests that EN has already restored this - and there is a link to download the new version NOW (sidestepping the several days wait for the Mac Store to approve it).

Foolishly (never trust Evernote) I click on the link and install the new version.  Which then tells me it must copy all my notes  (20GB) to a new spot on disk.  Which it has now been doing for 6 HOURS on a brand-new SSD top-of-the-line MacBook Pro - wiping out my whole day (since all my work is in EN).

[some investigation shows that unlike Windows, where all your notes are in one big .exb file, on Macs every single note translates to about ten files on disk in their own directory - so copying my 30,000 notes means copying 366,000 files.  Unbelievable]

It's STILL "copying", with no status as to how far it is, so I must either leaving it running overnight and hope it's finished by tomorrow morning, or figure out how to recover EN from Time Machine (which will probably also take hours to restore 366,000 files) and put everything back together again, which is bound to take another hour or two.

It's stuff like this, which happens regularly (I've been using EN for six years and am locked into it), that have made me loathe EN with a passion.

The joys of Evernote... the gift that keeps giving...

Today I install a minor new version, and find Horizontal List View is gone!!!  Which is indispensable for me.  But after looking in the forums, I find after a flood of protests that EN has already restored this - and there is a link to download the new version NOW (sidestepping the several days wait for the Mac Store to approve it).

Foolishly (never trust Evernote) I click on the link and install the new version.  Which then tells me it must copy all my notes  (20GB) to a new spot on disk.  Which it has now been doing for 6 HOURS on a brand-new SSD top-of-the-line MacBook Pro - wiping out my whole day (since all my work is in EN).

[some investigation shows that unlike Windows, where all your notes are in one big .exb file, on Macs every single note translates to about ten files on disk in their own directory - so copying my 30,000 notes means copying 366,000 files.  Unbelievable]

It's STILL "copying", with no status as to how far it is, so I must either leaving it running overnight and hope it's finished by tomorrow morning, or figure out how to recover EN from Time Machine (which will probably also take hours to restore 366,000 files) and put everything back together again, which is bound to take another hour or two.

It's stuff like this, which happens regularly (I've been using EN for six years and am locked into it), that have made me loathe EN with a passion.

First, it sounds like something is hinky on your computer. I'm PC but my database is over 35 gigs with over 56,000 notes & it wouldn't take even an hour to copy my database. I would think you should be able to look at your EN parent folder & get the size. That should give you an inkling how much time it should take. If the app is taking significantly longer, then it sounds like the app is hung up.

Second, you are NOT locked into EN except by your own desire to feel this way. If I loathed an app "with a passion", I would most certainly make it a priority to find another app that worked for me.

Archived