For Paperless, Download Statements into Evernote or Just Leave On-Line

aukirk

I have been trying to get more paperless this year... so far this has involved getting paper statements, scanning them into Evernote and then shredding the originals.  

I am now ready to move towards paperless billing statements... while it would be ideal if providers would have an option where they email you the actual statement (which could be sent directly to my evernote address) instead of sending a notification that a statement is ready to be downloaded... Until this becomes an option, I can live with logging in and downloading the statements.

However, this has gotten me thinking whether the better option is to just leave the statements at the provider?  Especially for utility bills like electric, phone, cable, etc... I have never once gone back and looked at a bill.  If I need to see one, I can log in and look at it.  For banks and credit cards I need to see how long they are available, but so long as it is a few years, not sure why I need them in Evernote.

Thoughts?

• Level 5

I don't trust leaving the information online. If I can grab it, I will. Storage is cheap and getting cheaper every year.

I have more confidence in keeping the data under my control than with a corporation with limited human interaction (a growing trend).

1.) On my investment statements, it is much more difficult to download statements over a year old. It requires several tedious steps for each month. The current statements are a breeze to capture into Evernote.

2.) If company is taken over, bought out, merged, etc. access might be more difficult or impossible.

In my mind, if I don't have a local copy of something on a drive that I control, then I don't own that thing...I'm only renting it.

The saying with hard drives is "It's not if it will fail, but when." Similarly, with information held by a third party, it's not if it will become inaccessible, it's when. Especially with billing statements -- over a period of a decade or so, the company gets a new computer system, goes out of business, merges, is taken over, etc. -- and either (1) older statements don't survive the transition process, or (2) someone in the new entity sooner or later says "Why are we keeping these 10-year-old billing records? Let's purge them."

(And remember, as long as you use a desktop version of Evernote, everything you save there is on your computer.)

Archaeologists learn enormous amounts about ancient civilizations by the bills and other minutiae they leave behind. I fully intend to supply the data archaeologists of the next millennium with a similar treasure trove from our age.

• 3 months later...

My question is about the security of having these types of documents in EN, with bank account numbers, SSNs, etc.  My plan is to have a local-only notebook (backed up separately to external hard drive)

to keep these in, but it somewhat defeats the searchability aspect.  Also, I currently have my scanner set up to go directly into EN, but that's through a folder that is monitored by the EN sync and it goes into my Inbox.  To keep these local I would have to change the scans to go directly to the local folder on my desktop EN and not allow any syncing at all, correct?  Once it's gone through the server, even if I then moved it from my Inbox to the local folder, it's out there, correct?   

• 2 weeks later...

I think the role of mobile technologies will extremely increase in the next few years that aims to create a more environmentally friendly business environment while the level of efficiency is not decreasing. In this way I think there will be more and more solutions like SignTechForms where the efficiency of a green office will effect also the relationships with the customers. I am convinced that office/business technologies should focus on the customer side as well. And at this point, security can not be a question. I think e-signature solution providers also care more about security to save every personal data, and in this way, data is stored securely.

Archived