(Archived) How to create a Stack

• Level 5*

<Deity> forfend that Windows users ever get that notebook view, but there is some Windows-y stuff at the end of this video.

Whoops. Sound off, working on iPad, so when the cursor stopped moving at the end of the Mac part I thought that was it! Good to see that Windows is there. You'll get your gigantic icons soon enough :)

I'm a text kind of guy myself, don't go in for all of that Apple-y Fisher Price look myself, and prefer to be inundated with information, but I get it. The Mac developers made something that looks aesthetically pleasing to a certain crowd, and I have met people who prefer it. Windows (as you see in 8) is headed that way too; your iconification, simplification, and de-featurication is only a matter of time!

In this case, I concede that the developers know their audience better than me, and I admit that my preferences in this regard are probably not representative, so I encourage them not to listen to my griping. Continue down the path of darkness and don't go towards the light, because most people are actually saying Evernote does too much and looks too complicated.

Maybe we need a "developer's choice" version with all the bells and whistles / without all the graphical splendiferousness. I'd love to see word counts, search explanations, note size, note histories, etc. all accessible without having to crawl inside the informational popup. How about other diagnostic info like number of times viewed, 25 related notes in order of relevance, smart tagging suggestions, markdown, etc.?

• Level 5*

Hmph... there were some folks who thought that fins on cars and Nehru jackets and Crocs were aesthetically pleasing too. :) Some people even like lima beans, for Pete's sake!!

• Level 5*

Hmph... there were some folks who thought that fins on cars and Nehru jackets and Crocs were aesthetically pleasing too. :) Some people even like lima beans, for Pete's sake!!

My car has fin like appendages (nothing like the old days, but definitely taking inspiration from them) and I wear crocs every day (there are a lot of fashionable ones besides the original clogs). Some designs just take a while to mature. Black on white text never goes out of style, though. When Windows folks get gray on gray, we'll know that the end times are near, and that the prophesied convergence is nigh!

As for overkill (BNF mentioned), no way. The more info the better, and now we have something to link to when users ask. Of course, mobile folks might not know they can't do this, and that needs to be written up somewhere! But, one thing at a time :)

• 6 months later...

Why doesn't the stack show up when I search for it in notebook view?  For example, I have a stack called "Recipes," with about 50 notebooks in the stack.  If I type "recipes" in the search bar in the notebook view (Mac desktop version), nothing shows up.  The only way to find a stack is to scroll through the notebooks and find it.  Can this be changed? 

• Level 5

Why doesn't the stack show up when I search for it in notebook view?  For example, I have a stack called "Recipes," with about 50 notebooks in the stack.  If I type "recipes" in the search bar in the notebook view (Mac desktop version), nothing shows up.  The only way to find a stack is to scroll through the notebooks and find it.  Can this be changed? 

To find the stack named Recipes, use the following search

stack:Recipes

Archived