(Archived) How to return Penultimate to pre-Evernote functionality?

Stuke

I've never found Evernote to be my 'cup of tea.'  I certainly don't pay on a regular schedule for storing information across third party services (yes, I do iCloud because of my historical Apple-centric life).  So, somewhere in the past using Penultimate that I purchased before Evernote's acquisition, I must have linked it to Evernote.  Now, I can't use Penultimate!

I can't create new notebooks...unless I'm signed into Evernote.  :(

I can't see existing notebooks...unless I'm signed into Evernote. :angry:

I can't stop Evernote from always syncing...when mandatorily signed into Evernote. :blink:

In other words, I can't use Penultimate, an App I paid for in the App Store.

The version I have is 4.1.1 now on my iPad.

Am I just too critical that an App I love is not gone?  Does anyone else have these issues, and moreover found a solution to getting back to Penultimates elegance in handwritten note taking on the iPad?

Thanks in advance.

Evernote is free. You don't need to pay unless you want to upgrade to Premium. So, I'm not sure what the drawback would be to be logged into Evernote and have your notes backed up. You can control when Penultimate syncs to Evernote in the Penultimate settings (if you have the latest version).

Until Evernote bought Penultimate and turned it into an app that I love (never cared for it before), I used NoteShelf. It's a very nice, simple note taking app. They do keep adding more features which I find a bit unfortunate as I basically just want to write notes. I don't want a web browser or handwriting recognition or any other bells and whistles. Still, it's worth a look.

Best of luck.

megsaint...agreed, it is free.  But I put Penultimate on my wife's iPad (also before Evernote's acquisition of it) and she has full functionality WITHOUT being linked to Evernote.  Same version...4.1.1.  So, what I'm trying to ultimately figure out is how to get Penultimate back to the way it functions on her device...without an tie to Evernote.

I've begun a transition to Notes Plus.  It is feature rich (more so than Penultimate ever was in the state I enjoyed it...pre-Evernote) so I think this will have to become my primary app.  I'm still wondering, though, how the same version functions on her device without the need for the Evernote account but on mine, if I log out, I lose the ability to use Penultimate in any way!  It start-up (even after I force it to quite in iOS) with the log-in screen to Evernote...I don't even 'see' my notebooks under the log-in dialog and no way can you dismiss the dialog work Evernote-free (as she has on her device).

Strange and frustrating at the same time.

Archived