(Archived) Local notebook uploaded and synced

reckoning

I have an offline notebook I created at home that contains all my personal financial information. Due to the nature of the documents contained within this Notebook I wanted to ensure it stayed on my home computer and didn't get uploaded to the Evernote servers and then synced to all my other computers that run Evernote.

Just recently i've been getting a message saying that i've nearly used all my monthly allowence in Evernote which confused me as i've only made small text-type changes to some existed notes. Then I opened evernote at Work and noticed that my offline notebook that I created at home had been synced at work and all my private documents were now available on my work computer!! Please see the attached screenshots that show my offline "Finance" notebook at home and the online version of the Finance notebook that Evernote's created on my work computer.

How did this happen and how do I stop it? To try and fix it I created a new offline notebook and moved all my notes into this, but this has now synced again. I just want my offline notebooks to stay offline.

post-83951-0-91285700-1369246718_thumb.j

post-83951-0-36625400-1369246719_thumb.j

• Level 5*

Your thumbnail of the home computer correctly shows an 'offline' icon for the notebook,  while the other seems to show a normal, syncable notebook.  Have a look at the web version to see what shows up on the internet.  I'd suggest you raise a support ticket immediately (see below),  and consider exporting the contents of that notebook to a file on your hard drive until you've resolved this.

There's no question that 'offline' should mean exactly that,  and according to Evernote notebooks can't change from one state to the other.  Is it possible that you had another notebook with the same name which might have confused the system?

Support should hopefully be able to delete any trace of the notebook from Evernote,  but you clearly need to know how this arose before you put your information on the system again.  if its any help I've had local notebooks for years without anything similar happening on my account...

I have an offline notebook I created at home that contains all my personal financial information. Due to the nature of the documents contained within this Notebook I wanted to ensure it stayed on my home computer and didn't get uploaded to the Evernote servers and then synced to all my other computers that run Evernote.

Just recently i've been getting a message saying that i've nearly used all my monthly allowence in Evernote which confused me as i've only made small text-type changes to some existed notes. Then I opened evernote at Work and noticed that my offline notebook that I created at home had been synced at work and all my private documents were now available on my work computer!! Please see the attached screenshots that show my offline "Finance" notebook at home and the online version of the Finance notebook that Evernote's created on my work computer.

How did this happen and how do I stop it? To try and fix it I created a new offline notebook and moved all my notes into this, but this has now synced again. I just want my offline notebooks to stay offline.

Please use correct terminology, when asking for help. You seem to be confusing offline notebooks (available only for premium accounts & only on mobile devices) with local (non-sync'd) notebooks.

Thanks for the reply gazumped.

I've also used offline notebooks for a long time and never had any issues like this.

I'm sure I didn't already have an existing offline notebook called that, in fact this is the second offline notebook that i've created that has magically started to upload its contents to the server, very worrying.

• Level 5*

Well it may be that Support will ask you to backup everything,  uninstall Evernote and start over,  and to create a new local notebook to test out the account.  No idea what may have caused this,  but please do come back with the eventual solution if no-one else chips in on this thread.

Can't imagine what is happening there. Can you let us know the answer to gazumped's qn "Have a look at the web version to see what shows up on the internet.". The web being the definitive version of what is on the server.

Coincidentally I just moved a local note into the web, so I could edit it with the ENML editor, and moved it back to local, no problem.

I can see my “offline” notebook on the web portal including all the files that I didn’t want floating around on the internet or my other computers. My home computer is still showing that Notebook as offline.

I’ve contacted support so we’ll see what happens.

By the way that offline Finance notebook is something I only created a few weeks ago when my previous offline Finance notebook (called something slightly different) suddenly uploaded everything despite being something that I’ve been using for years with no problems. So this is the second time this has happened now!

I can see my “offlinelocal notebook on the web portal including all the files that I didn’t want floating around on the internet or my other computers. My home computer is still showing that Notebook as offline local.

I’ve contacted support so we’ll see what happens.

By the way that offline local Finance notebook is something I only created a few weeks ago when my previous offline  local Finance notebook (called something slightly different) suddenly uploaded everything despite being something that I’ve been using for years with no problems. So this is the second time this has happened now!

Again, to clarify so it's less confusing to others...

Please use correct terminology, when asking for help. You seem to be confusing offline notebooks (available only for premium accounts & only on mobile devices) with local (non-sync'd) notebooks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe it. Evernote's just complained again that i've used up all my monthly usage again.

It turns out another offline notebook has been uploaded onto the server, complete with all the notes. This is a brand new notebook. How do I stop these things offline?

• Level 5*

I don't believe it. Evernote's just complained again that i've used up all my monthly usage again.

It turns out another offline notebook has been uploaded onto the server, complete with all the notes. This is a brand new notebook. How do I stop these things offline?

Unknown. As I said initially, local notebooks should not upload of their own accord. The Support team are the only ones who can look at your account records and determine exactly what happened.  Please post your ticket number here, and let us know what they say...

Checking in reckoning--the issue was escalated and is with a Windows tech, who I've flagged.  In the mean time, I've also upgraded you to a week of Premium, which should help take care of the usage issue for the moment.

Thanks for that.

Any update on this? All my private notes from my home computer have now been synced onto my work computer. I don't think creating a new offline notebook is going ito help as it just keeps syncing it back online. This has been going on for nearly 3 weeks now.

Looks like we had some resolution on this last Tuesday and you are back to normal--holler if there are any loose ends here worth reckoning. (heh--sorry, bad joke, couldn't resist)

• 3 weeks later...

I really thought this had been fixed. Unfortunately I got the familiar "you have exceeded your account" message and sure enough Endnote has uploaded my offline notebook again. Not sure if this is relevant but the notebook has an appended (local) multiple times at the end. In fact it's appended so many (local) at the end that it goes off the screen.

• Level 5*

At this point, I'd suggest making a new local notebook, and moving all of the notes from the original local notebook into the new one. Local notebooks are not supposed to be synced; this sounds like something glitchy with your local notebook.

Jefito, i've created a new local notebook several times now. It stays offline for a number of days or a week or two and then decides to start uploading everything. It continues to show offline local on my home computer but on the other computers and the web portal it appears as an online sync'd notebook.

I emailed support again a couple of days ago but i've not heard anything back.

Edited by BNF for correct terminology so the thread is less confusing to other users.  Reference post #8 above.

• Level 5*

Jefito, i've created a new local notebook several times now. It stays offline for a number of days or a week or two and then decides to start uploading everything. It continues to show offline on my home computer but on the other computers and the web portal it appears as an online notebook.

Hi reckoning. Could you post your support ticket number here? I've flagged your post for the staff to take a look at. Out of curiosity, would you mind doing an experiment?

Could you take a screenshot of you making the local notebook (so that we can all see it is clearly a local one, and not one that is synced), then a screenshot of the Web where it is not showing, a screenshot of the Web when it shows up, and a screenshot of your desktop with the local notebook that has been synced? I know this is a lot, but it will help us users get an idea of what is happening. If you don't have time / interest in doing this, no worries!

Could you take a screenshot of you making the local notebook (so that we can all see it is clearly a local one, and not one that is synced),

He does have screenshots in the first post.  the one called 'home' definitely appears to be a local notebook (grey icon) while the other one (named 'work') appears to be sync'd (green icon). Both have the same number of notes (129).  I've never heard of this before & wondered if perhaps OP was making the same notebook on two computers & if that could be causing the problem.  So I tried making the same notebook on my iPad (sync'd of course, since iPad doesn't have local notebooks) and PC (local).  But after sync'ing, I ended up with two notebooks - one called 'finance' that is sync'd & one called 'finance - local' that is not sync'd. So that doesn't appear to be an issue.

• Level 5*

but I feel like seeing is believing for this kind of stuff.

Absolutely agree.  Definitely a case where if this were my user, I'd be either doing a "GoToMeeting" and/or remotely controlling/watching their computer.  IDK if EN support has done anything along this line or not.  OTOH, if you can't anticipate when it will start going hinky, that may not even be helpful.  Definitely a head scratcher & causing me to try to think of weird scenarios that could be doing this.

Keep in mind that EN premium users receive a reply in one business day, California time.  Free users as time permits.  And Thursday was a holiday.  I know a lot of people took Friday off (not necessarily at EN but in general) so they had a four day weekend.  So it could be that support is running a bit behind, too.

Hey reckoning--I've gone ahead and escalated you to a higher level tech, and upgraded you to 3 months of Premium, which should at least ameliorate some of the possible quota issues from these local uploads. We've got to wade through a bit of holiday queue, but you're in there.  I believe we'll start recognizing you as Premium after a followup up, so Premium should also ensure you're responded to on a quicker basis.

Hello,

EN support got back to me and have suggested I uninstall Evernote and install a later version, which i've now done.

I can post some more screenshots if it helps but what is basically happening is this. I create a local notebook on my home computer called Finance. This holds all my financial documents that I don't want uploading to the cloud and copying to my work computer. This is something that i've had around for a few years and its never been a problem until recently. What happens is that after a while (days or weeks) this notebook will start to upload it's notes as if the notebook is an online notebook. The Evernote Portal and Evernote on my work computer create a notebook called Finance automatically and it has a green online notebook icon while my home computer continues to have an offline gray icon. Then my offline notes in the finance notebook at home start to get synced up to the cloud and then down onto my work computer.

The other thing i've noticed is that the word (local) keeps getting appended to the offline Finance notebook on my home computer. I'm guessing this is because when it tries to sync it's already seeing an existing notebook called the same thing so it appends (local) at the end. I've seen it end up with over a dozen (locals) added on before i've renamed and removed them.

gbarry, thank you very much for that. The first warning I get when my offline notebook goes online is that all my monthly usage gets used up so this will help.

I’ve just taken another look at Evernote in preparation of taking some screenshots and I forgot that I renamed the online version of the finance notebook to “finance-online”. This currently has a number of notes from the offline notebook finance but far from all of them at the moment. I’m not sure it would give you any useful information at the moment as they are currently called different things and have a different number of notes in them.

Hello,

EN support got back to me and have suggested I uninstall Evernote and install a later version, which i've now done.

I can post some more screenshots if it helps but what is basically happening is this. I create a local notebook on my home computer called Finance. This holds all my financial documents that I don't want uploading to the cloud and copying to my work computer. This is something that i've had around for a few years and its never been a problem until recently. What happens is that after a while (days or weeks) this notebook will start to upload it's notes as if the notebook is an online notebook. The Evernote Portal and Evernote on my work computer create a notebook called Finance automatically and it has a green online notebook icon while my home computer continues to have an offline gray icon. Then my offline notes in the finance notebook at home start to get synced up to the cloud and then down onto my work computer.

The other thing i've noticed is that the word (local) keeps getting appended to the offline Finance notebook on my home computer. I'm guessing this is because when it tries to sync it's already seeing an existing notebook called the same thing so it appends (local) at the end. I've seen it end up with over a dozen (locals) added on before i've renamed and removed them.

gbarry, thank you very much for that. The first warning I get when my offline notebook goes online is that all my monthly usage gets used up so this will help.

Could you take a screenshot of you making the local notebook (so that we can all see it is clearly a local one, and not one that is synced),

He does have screenshots in the first post. the one called 'home' definitely appears to be a local notebook (grey icon) while the other one (named 'work') appears to be sync'd (green icon). Both have the same number of notes (129). I've never heard of this before & wondered if perhaps OP was making the same notebook on two computers & if that could be causing the problem. So I tried making the same notebook on my iPad (sync'd of course, since iPad doesn't have local notebooks) and PC (local). But after sync'ing, I ended up with two notebooks - one called 'finance' that is sync'd & one called 'finance - local' that is not sync'd. So that doesn't appear to be an issue.

Are you sure you didn't have a local "finance" notebook at home & then create a sync'd one at work (which would cause the word (local) to be added to the non-sync'd one at home, after it syncs the sync'd 'finance' notebook down from the EN servers) & get them confused & start putting sensitive stuff in the sync'd one at home...???  (Which would then cause the sensitive stuff in the sync'd 'finance' notebook to be sync'd to the work computer.)

Additionally, I would suggest on your home computer, to rename the local finance notebook (the one with the grey icon) to "finance - home".  When putting sensitive info into it, be sure you're putting it into the notebook with the grey icon.  Then keep the sync'd finance notebook (the one with the green icon) as 'finance - online', even if there are no notes in it.  Move any notes that are residing in the green icon notebook, that should not be in the cloud, to the grey icon notebook & sync.  DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME OF THE TWO NOTEBOOKS.  Going forward, again, when at home & putting notes into the finance notebook that you don't want sync'd, be sure you're putting it into the notebook with the grey icon.  I'm guessing if you do this, you will no longer have this problem.

• 1 month later...

Things are just getting worse and worse with this. It's been going on for so long now and no-ones seems to be able to help. I've not heard anything from support since the 15th of August, and that was just a suggestion to give version 5 beta a try (it didn't make any difference). I was also told they would speak to the devs but I never heard anything back about that either.

Things have got progressively worse and Evernote has basically stopped working now. It won't even sync. Any notes I create on my desktop just sit there and don't make it up to the cloud,laptop,phone etc, so at this point the software has just become usable as I can't access my notes.

Bnf I've renamed the finance notebook a few times but it doesn't make any difference.

• Level 5*

Things are just getting worse and worse with this. It's been going on for so long now and no-ones seems to be able to help. I've not heard anything from support since the 15th of August, and that was just a suggestion to give version 5 beta a try (it didn't make any difference). I was also told they would speak to the devs but I never heard anything back about that either.

Things have got progressively worse and Evernote has basically stopped working now. It won't even sync. Any notes I create on my desktop just sit there and don't make it up to the cloud,laptop,phone etc, so at this point the software has just become usable as I can't access my notes.

Bnf I've renamed the finance notebook a few times but it doesn't make any difference.

Sorry to hear about this. I'll flag this for the staff and I'm sure someone will be with you shortly.

Why do you keep renaming the notebooks? Rename them once & then no more. As I said above, from what you've posted, it seems like you're trying to have two notebooks with the same exact name but on different computers & and one of the notebooks is sync'd & the other one is not. When the sync'd notebook (from work) hits the home computer, EN is renaming the notebooks, since they cannot have the same name. Then you get confused which notebook to use on the home computer. If you rename the notebooks (on the home computer) so they are entirely different, then there will not be any confusion.

No I don't want two notebooks with the same name. I just want the one single offline notebook on my home computer. This was how I had it for years up until a month or so ago. When the "offline" notebook started syncing it did create an online version of the same notebook with the same name, but that's because of this bug, not because I wanted multiple notebooks called the same thing. Once I ended up in this situation that's when I renamed the offline notebook to something else and then deleted the online version.

The problem with this is that after a period time it starts uploading it again.

Anyway this problem has been eclipsed by this second problem that i'm now having where it's just stopped syncing altogether.

Still nothing from support since 15th August.

Thanks GrumpyMonkey

• Level 5*

No I don't want two notebooks with the same name. I just want the one single offline notebook on my home computer. This was how I had it for years up until a month or so ago. When the "offline" notebook started syncing it did create an online version of the same notebook with the same name, but that's because of this bug, not because I wanted multiple notebooks called the same thing. Once I ended up in this situation that's when I renamed the offline notebook to something else and then deleted the online version.

The problem with this is that after a period time it starts uploading it again.

Anyway this problem has been eclipsed by this second problem that i'm now having where it's just stopped syncing altogether.

Still nothing from support since 15th August.

Thanks GrumpyMonkey

Flagging again for support. Sorry to hear about this, but I'm sure we'll get this worked out at some point. I'd definitely like to hear how it is resolved. By the way, if you haven't already, could you post your ticket number here? That might help support staff stay on top of it. 

I'm having the same problem as reckoning. Local notebooks are changing from one day to the other to online and then their notes get synced. Today it happend at least the 5th time. I've done some screenshots for documentation of the notebook status the have a before-picture when it's self-changing again....

Philipp

• Level 5*

I'm having the same problem as reckoning. Local notebooks are changing from one day to the other to online and then their notes get synced. Today it happend at least the 5th time. I've done some screenshots for documentation of the notebook status the have a before-picture when it's self-changing again....

Philipp

Have you raised a support ticket?

Philipp

Have you raised a support ticket?

Not yet, since I'm not able to document it for the moment.

Before and after would work I think, and also any information on the platform you're using.  Let me know the ticket # if/when you submit (we would like that you do) and I'll get it escalated immediately.

Before and after would work I think, and also any information on the platform you're using.  Let me know the ticket # if/when you submit (we would like that you do) and I'll get it escalated immediately.

Support-Ticket #140211

Attached some screenshots which shows the creation of the new local notebook "ToDos". Today morning it's shown as an online-notebook and the data got synchronised.

Evernote: 5.0.0.1051 (261559) Prerelease

post-144381-0-22390100-1378362028_thumb.

post-144381-0-83240400-1378362029_thumb.

post-144381-0-41418400-1378362030_thumb.

post-144381-0-03575500-1378362031_thumb.

post-144381-0-90268300-1378362031_thumb.

post-144381-0-54004600-1378362032_thumb.

Thanks, I've escalated the ticket and included this post. PM is taking a look too.

Just to keep you up to date:

- Nothing heard from support

- Another local notebook has moved to an online one today morning

Meanwhile I've updated to 5.0.0.1137 (Public)

Hey Picard,

Just so you know it took weeks before I heard anything back from support.

I wish I had some good news to tell you but there's no fix unfortunately. All my private financial documents that were meant to stay on my home computer are now scattered on the web and on my work computer.

The next step is to open a new email account and then a new evernote account and then start testing with that one.

Hey Picard,

I wish I had some good news to tell you but there's no fix unfortunately. All my private financial documents that were meant to stay on my home computer are now scattered on the web and on my work computer.

The next step is to open a new email account and then a new evernote account and then start testing with that one.

Your stuff is not "scattered on the web". Someone would need to either have access to your account or hack it & publish it somewhere else. Just because it got sync'd to the EN servers (and I agree that anything in a local notebook should not) doesn't mean it's "scattered on the web". Similarly, just because you can log onto your bank account & see what payments have cleared & the balance doesn't mean that info is "scattered on the web."

How can you make a statement like that without knowing all the details? I'm still trying to determine exactly how far afield my notes have ended up myself and i've been chasing this up for a while.

I wanted these notes to stay on my home computer for a reason. Not only have they gone up into the cloud on the Evernote servers, they synced down to my work computer, they've been backed up onto the universities file server and apparently I found out the other day they are also on some US backup cloud server as well. So when I say my files have been scattered around that's what I meant.

I'm battling at the moment to try and get the sysadmins to remove any trace of these notes from their servers and also find out where else they have been backed up to on the internet.

Maybe you can answer a question for me. If someone got hold of all my notes can they be simply be opened in Evernote? If they are strongly encrypted it would put my mind at rest that at least they would have some kind of protection even though they are out of my hands.

Picard how are you getting on?

How can you make a statement like that without knowing all the details?

Because sync'd notebooks are not "scattered on the web".

Hey Picard,

I've got a reply from support. The problem should be solved with version 5.0.1. Since the update it seems to look good...

Thanks to the support and DLU!

• 1 month later...

I forgot to come back to report on this issue. A couple of days ago support finally managed to fix my sync issues after all this time so i'm very happy now. My problem wasn't fixed by the 5.0.1 update but was caused by a ghost notebook that has now been exorcised. :)

Burgers I completely disagree and its still something i'm having to resolve even now. As I said you don't have all the information.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to come back to report on this issue. A couple of days ago support finally managed to fix my sync issues after all this time so i'm very happy now. My problem wasn't fixed by the 5.0.1 update but was caused by a ghost notebook that has now been exorcised. :)

Burgers I completely disagree and its still something i'm having to resolve even now. As I said you don't have all the information.

You really need to understand what does "scattered on the web" mean, BNF can't stress that enough to you since you don't get it.

Archived