Undo Mistake After Sync Saves It

I just opened one of my notes on my iPhone, and was trying to copy the note (so I could paste it in a phone IM), but as I was selecting the handles to drag over the text, the Copy/Paste bar popped up and I hit paste inadvertently, and ruined a long text that I really needed to keep. Is there nay way to get my original text back, or to force a revert to the note before these changes took effect?

I couldn't find how to 'Undo" changes on the iPhone before it synced with the Evernote server.

I just opened one of my notes on my iPhone, and was trying to copy the note (so I could paste it in a phone IM), but as I was selecting the handles to drag over the text, the Copy/Paste bar popped up and I hit paste inadvertently, and ruined a long text that I really needed to keep. Is there nay way to get my original text back, or to force a revert to the note before these changes took effect?

I couldn't find how to 'Undo" changes on the iPhone before it synced with the Evernote server.

If you have a premium account & access to either the web client or a desktop client, you could look at the note history.  Note history is taken once about every eight hours.  So if the good note had been on the EN servers for at least that long, you should be able to get it from the note history.  If you're not premium, it's $5 for a month.  Or...if you use EN on a desktop computer & have a recent backup.

• 1 month later...

You can "shake" to undo, even after its been synced, as long as you're still in the note.

and a even better fact, you can shake it multiple times (more than three you're playing with it I heard...)

But seriously, you can "undo" with shake method many times until you get back to your note as it was before messing it up  :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Similar situation here, but I'm editing on an Android tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard. I don't know what bad keystrokes I did that all the text in my note was wiped out. Ctrl-Z did nothing. I turned off the radio on the tablet so it wouldn't sync, I opened EN from my phone and created a copy of the note, but lost today's edits.

I would have saved all this hassle had there been an UNDO function. Shake doesn't work on Android tablets.

:-(

• 2 months later...

Hey just in case anyone has a similar problem sometime: Just right click on the field where your accidentally deleted text used to be. Just where you would select copy, paste, delete etc. select undo. That solved my problem because i can't shake my computer screen.

No one expects you to shake your computer.  This is in the iOS section.  No right click. 

• Level 5*

You guys crack me up but at least the question has been answered.

The Shake iOS feature is a great one that not many realise is there :)

You guys crack me up but at least the question has been answered.

The Shake iOS feature is a great one that not many realise is there :)

Make sure that you shout "Stupid Phone!!!" while you're doing this.

so....Evernote does NOT have an undo option for Mac?

is that typical of a program like this?

WHERE on earth did you even get this idea from this thread???

(This is how rumors get started.)

Keep your shirt on, Burger....iOS is Apple, duh

Thanks, Scott.

so....Evernote does NOT have an undo option for Mac?

is that typical of a program like this?

WHERE on earth did you even get this idea from this thread???

(This is how rumors get started.)

Keep your shirt on, Burger....iOS is Apple, duh

Thanks, Scott.

Mac is not iOS. Duh.

• 3 weeks later...

NOPE! If you do changes in the WEB you are SOL.  There is no UNDO in most instances.  I tried several scenarios and NOTHING worked.  Roght clicking did NOT have UNDO selectable.  Does not do it in ANY operating system I tried.  And the UNDO keyboard shortcuts did NOTHING!

I guess Evernote expects you to be PERFECT if you use the web interface.

NOPE! If you do changes in the WEB you are SOL.  There is no UNDO in most instances.  I tried several scenarios and NOTHING worked.  Roght clicking did NOT have UNDO selectable.  Does not do it in ANY operating system I tried.  And the UNDO keyboard shortcuts did NOTHING!

First, this is in the iOS section.

Second, wrt the web client, see post #2 in this thread. Note history (a premium account feature) is available via the web client.

Wow - there are so many things wrong with what you just said - as BurgersNFries has pointed out.  

You can undo typing on any website by using command Z (mac) or control Z (PC).  If it didn't work, you're doing it wrong.  It works on Evernote web.  I tried it just now.  You need to simmer down and take care of that anger problem.  

• 6 months later...

I checked with Evernote support. This is the answer I got from them:

To undo if you accidentally delete text on your desktop, please press "control+z" to undo.

If you are on an iPhone or iPad, you can shake your device to bring up an option to undo.

I checked with Evernote support. This is the answer I got from them:

To undo if you accidentally delete text on your desktop, please press "control+z" to undo.

If you are on an iPhone or iPad, you can shake your device to bring up an option to undo.

On iPad, there is also an undo button when you invoke the numerical/symbol keyboard by pressing the "123" button in the bottom corners. 

• 1 year later...

Hey just in case anyone has a similar problem sometime: Just right click on the field where your accidentally deleted text used to be. Just where you would select copy, paste, delete etc. select undo. That solved my problem because i can't shake my computer screen.

That did not work for me.

And 8 hours... really? That is ludicrous. It should save revisions immediately, or at the latest, once every five minutes if a note is being edited.

• Level 5*

That did not work for me.

And 8 hours... really? That is ludicrous. It should save revisions immediately, or at the latest, once every five minutes if a note is being edited.

This is an old thread.  Currently IOS updates are sent to the server when you complete the edit in the the note.  A little arrow appears and disappears when the sync has been completed.

• 6 months later...

I've been using Evernote on and off for the past year and a half. Today, I was using the note feature to write answers to essay-type questions, and when I had just completed my work, I went to "copy" my written material but accidentally hit "paste" instead, deleting my work and replacing it with whatever was on my clipboard. I was in awe to find that there is no "Undo" feature on Evernote. This thread has existed since 2013, and there is still no solution. REALLY, Evernote? I also could not find any way to submit a complaint/feedback to the company, which further agitated me, so it looks like it's going to be here.

I will not be using Evernote after finding this easily-fixable flaw, seeing as the "Undo" feature exists in other digital writing programs. Furthermore, I find it very unprofessional that there is no way to submit feedback to the Evernote team, and that there is no solution to this problem despite it being brought up over three years ago.

p.s. I know that this is a thread regarding issues on iOS, but there really isn't another one regarding the similar issue on a computer server. I found one, but it redirected me here.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread still comes up as a main Google hit, so still relevant. 

I had the same problem, added a photo to a note, was trying to get below it and pressing return deleted it because it was selected. <sigh>. 

I turned off 'shake to undo' ages ago because it was always popping up and I've found that the keyboard undo is also present on the landscape keyboard on the larger iPhones (7 Plus, etc.).  I suspect on the smaller ones, the shake option is all you have.  Too bad it's not one of the Evernote formatting options.

• 1 year later...

If you have premium access then go to "Note History".  To access Note History, go to the note that you need to restore, and click the little (i) with the circle around it.  You can go to a prior version of the note and restore your note by copy and pasting it.

I hope this helps.  I almost had a heart attack until my son helped me figure this out!!!

Archived