(Archived) Suddenly can't view individual notes unless I edit...

Hi, I hope I'm not missing something obvious here, but I can't figure this out.  If I am viewing my list of notes and try to open any one of them, nothing comes up.  There is just a white screen, while the little wheel icon keeps turning and turning like it's working on it, but the note never appears.  If I click on the pencil to edit the note, suddenly the text appears and I can edit.  When I save my changes and go back to the list, I can see from the preview that my changes have been made, but I still can't view the note in its entirety unless I act like I want to edit it.

This happened both at home with my wifi, which was working fine, and at work, where the wifi is also working fine.  I haven't changed any of my settings.  I am just using the free version, btw.

Can anyone shed light on this?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi, thank you!  Um I am a bit ignorant, new to both having a smartphone and Evernote, so please forgive me for any idiotic answers.

While I did download the desktop version to my Mac laptop (on which I use Safari), I've only synced it with my phone once, a few weeks ago.  Primarily I just use Evernote on my phone (Galaxy S3),  and to my knowledge nothing has changed about my phone settings or this application recently (other than automatic updates).

I am not a very busy user, I just have a few running to-do lists (basic, text-only) that I update daily or every 2-3 days.  

Hope this helps.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Evernote isn't a "just on my phone" sort of app. The main database lives online and your phone doesn't store notes for longer than it has to before uploading the latest version to the server.  If you know how to do it,  you can hold a copy of the notes on your phone (look for ~settings and ~offline access) but it's still going to want to phone home sooner or later,  and I'd guess now is later as far as your account is concerned.  You should improve things if you let your phone sync with the server for a while,  and continue to do that regularly.

Hm, so are you saying that Evernote considers what is on my mac the "master list," even though having that program on the mac at all was secondary to having it and using it on my phone?  So when I am using it on my phone I am not online but actually offline, and I only get "online"  (and can subsequently sync) when I connect phone to computer?

Hope I've got the right of it now.  I thought I was always online!  But what you are saying makes sense.

I will sync to computer tonight and let you know what happens.  Thanks gazumped.

• Level 5*

Actually both your phone and your mac sync with Evernote's servers,  and any information goes between phone and servers and mac and servers - they don't talk direct.  But syncing is good; let the phone and the mac have a chat with the server,  and maybe things will settle down.

Archived