(Archived) Telephone Hyperlinks

On a Note, if you highlight a phone number, copy the number, then do Hyperlink, Add... and enter "tel:nnn-nnn-nnnn" (or really any number following the tel:) if you bring up the note on a mobile device, you can click on the number to have the phone dial it (or at least on Android phones, but I image other phones will follow the tel: type). It makes it much easier and safer to dial a number from Evernote while driving, then the current way of trying to select the number, copy and paste it into the phone app.

I would like to suggest as an enhancement request that Evernote looks at the selected text, and if it is numbers, -, (, ) or spaces, the Hyperlink context menu also displays "Add Phone link...". and automatically puts the tel: in front of the phone number text.

• Level 5*

I'll go a +10 on this one - dialling numbers from notes is insanely useful on the Android,  but a pain to set up in the first place.  An 'official' hyperlink to the phone call would be a great help.

On a Note, if you highlight a phone number, copy the number, then do Hyperlink, Add... and enter "tel:nnn-nnn-nnnn" (or really any number following the tel:) if you bring up the note on a mobile device, you can click on the number to have the phone dial it (or at least on Android phones, but I image other phones will follow the tel: type). It makes it much easier and safer to dial a number from Evernote while driving, then the current way of trying to select the number, copy and paste it into the phone app.

I would like to suggest as an enhancement request that Evernote looks at the selected text, and if it is numbers, -, (, ) or spaces, the Hyperlink context menu also displays "Add Phone link...". and automatically puts the tel: in front of the phone number text.

Thank you for the great tip!! I always like it when someone makes my life a little better.

Regards,

David in Wichita

It already does this on my phone. As soon as I save ###-###-####, or even ##-##-####, it is underlined & blue, a phone link. Tapping it brings up the dialer with the field already entered. The tel: isn't necessary, neither is declaring it a link.

This was discussed a while back. This has been the case for both my Android phones, but not for other users. The difference might not be Evernote, but the phone brand. Both mine have been branded "Nexus", Plain Jane Android. It's possible that it's native to Android, but altered for the various over-lays that the manufacturers install.

I'm glad there is a way to accomplish it on the other phones.

Regards,

Gary

• Level 5*

Wow.  Just tried this on my Android - Samsung Galaxy S3 with the latest upgrade of ICS;  save a note with a phone number,  and when you come back to the note,  it's a clickable link!  No fiddling required!  My life just became a little easier.  :)

(Although on the down side, a thumb drive on which I was consolidating some important data just gave me a "this drive needs formatting" error.  You win some...  :huh:)

Archived