Powerbot for Gmail - beta channel

Hi everyone,

Some of you may be familiar with the flagship Powerbot product - http://trunk.evernote.com/app/powerbot-for-gmail/web-apps

We integrate two greatest productivity tools, Evernote and Gmail.

The tool itself is a browser extension. You can download the latest stable version using the link above (we support Chrome, Firefox and Safari).

Recently we decided to launch a beta channel for the product, which would have all the latest features available at least a couple weeks before everyone else gets them.

The beta version is currently Chrome-only and is available here - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/powerbot-for-gmail-beta/pclgjgcdpeaolckmdfbliamcebmcieof

At this point it contains some UI enhancements, but soon we'll be adding a revamped Related Notes feature.

I hope some of you would consider this interesting to try out.

Just adding that our friends at Powerbot could use your support, and are legitimate Trunk partners.  I'll pin this post for a few days to bring some attention to your beta.

• Level 5

Seems to do the same thing as I already do now for free.

1.) Save important emails by forwarding them to the appropriate Evernote notebook and add tags

2.) Insert Evernote content into my email with the Evernote share feature

Well, not exactly.  :)

1. You don't have to remember notebook names or the @/# synthax. Also, we auto-suggest both (just like the official Web Clipper). Also, you can save whole threads or specific attachments, not just messages.

2. You'd have to leave Gmail, do your thing in the desktop client, and then come back to paste the link. If you need to insert multiple items, it quickly becomes annoying. We make the process completely seamless.

Dear Dmitry,

I unfortunately used "Powerbot" before (the non-beta version, to my knowledge??). I say "unfortunately" because now, even when I install the Beta version, as I already used my 30 days free trial, I am forced to buy it! Right? So I guess there's no way to beta-test your extension for free? I'd really buy a licence, but ... if you compare your pricing with the price of an Evernote Premium subscription I guess you'll realize my gripe......

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Level 5*

I have two GMail accounts - a normal @gmail.com account, and a business account that uses Gmail. I can get one or the other connected, but not both. WHen I connect my business, the personal says it isn't associated with PowerBot, and vice versa. I am running both emails at once in the same browser session (chrome.) Google allows that for one personal and one business account. Seems PowerBot doesn't, or I am missing something.

• Level 5*

Also, where do we set the defaults. I always want my clipped emails to go to my @inbox notebook (which is my default) and never tag. It seems to require me to set it each clipping.

Hi Dimitry

Nice application when it works mine keeps crashing but i know it’s a beta. Your price model is far to expensive there are numerous ways to achieve what you app is doing for free.

I use a free Google script drag tags to my email and it pops up in Evernote correct notebook and tags no sending nothing.

I hope you do well but $2 a month for ever is a lot just to send an email.

i know your not a charity and Powerbot is a good brand but this is a little over the top imho

Good Luck

I cannot get the beta to work at all, i.e. no Evernote-related buttons show up in Gmail. I uninstalled it and went to try the standard version (which I had never tried before), and it works fine.

• Level 5*

Not sure if there is a way to do this but IMHO, the "Send Thread to Evernote" button in the top bar between "Back" and "Archive" should be moved to the far right. Having used Gmail for 8 years, it is a bit disconcerting when all of the buttons are shifted to the right by the insertion of this huge button.

The one in the mail message is ok, just to the left of the REPLY button. Reply has long been the upper-right most button in a message, and this doesn't affect that.

• Level 5*

It would be nice if it just did the email without the fancy HTML that goes around the thing. It is impossible to insert text at the top or bottom to add additional info to the note. Remove and Simplify formating trash all of the formatting, not just the gray box.

or at least add a few blank rows at the top or bottom where we can insert additional comments to the note. Right now, the only really effective way to do it is to put the comment in a different note entirely, them merge them., and all of those alterntives ONLY work on the desktop clients. You effectively cannot edit the note text on an iPad, iPhone or other mobile client without it showing up as if it were part of the original email.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Seems the Evernote Chrome Clipper just took the place of Powerbot for Gmail and it fixed two issues I had:

• I can edit notes created by the EN clipper without stripping out all formatting - PB put that thick gray border around it and I couldn't edit anything before or after it. I was forced to either edit the email itself (not good for documentation) or strip out formatting to get rid of the gray border.
  • It remembers my preferred save notebook instead of picking the first one that is in the list alphabetically.

I cannot think of anything else that PB did for me. Am I missing anything?

One more thing...

I really wanted to draw everyone's attention to the fact that right now our app already does so much more than Web Clipper (handling attachments, clipping conversations, inserting notes/notebooks, clipping outgoing emails). The next beta release will have two new and pretty huge things: Reminders Support and Related Notes. Expect an update in a couple days.

Hi Dmitry and Powerbot,

We love Powerbot! Many of us use the feature and it helps make the Gmail experience seamless with Evernote - Great work.

So as with all 3rd party integrations, it's inevitable that Evernote product teams will continue to iterate and make their products the best they can be. So for example, if the Web Clipper teams works on making the clipping of Gmail pages easier and better formatted than before, that is great for users. While we will definitely work on knowing product teams road maps, we believe Powerbot is an excellent in-page experience. As you guys know, web clippers and browser extensions are an evolving product that requires many little fixes such as gmail support, new site parsing, and a never ending list of improvements we get asked for weekly.

When we roll out new features such as our Reminder API, Business API, etc - the teams that integrate benefit from first mover advantage. So go judo on a new feature in our API and we work out hardest to promote good apps that our users love!

There's plenty of apps that are Evernote note editors, document scanners, browser extensions, and mobile apps using the same platform - in fact it's over 25,000 developers building applications and extensions. Keep building great products and we will continue to feature and promote great integrations. At the end of the day, we want users to find the perfect tool set to help them create notes on our cloud platform - certainly Power bot is one of them we have been actively promoting in the Trunk, blog, etc.

Gerv and Julien will follow up offline - talk soon!

• Level 5*

Hey Chris, thanks for the support!

I really hope we'll be able to change everyone's current opinion that Powerbot has become redundant after the Web Clipper update.

Here's a side-by-side comparison we did: http://blog.powerbotapps.com/post/53676551106/powerbot-vs-web-clipper

Your comparison is not correct on the attachments.

I just used the Evernote clipper to get an email with 6 attachments, totaling 10MB and Evernote captured all 6, so not sure what failed with your test above, but EN does capture more than one attachment. It seems to capture all of them.

I tried to post it to your blog with my Twitter account, but it tried to force me to use Disqus, and I don't need to use that. If you are going to only use one thing, don't have the twitter/google+/facebook icons.

the one thing I see PowerBot doing better is capturing full conversations, but for me, that is not a plus. 99% of the time, if I get the last email, I have the full thread in the replies. If someone wants the full conversation, then yes, PowerBot is the way to go, but in 6+ years of using Evernote at work extensively, I personally have never even conceived of sending a full conversation over. I just emailed the last message or used the Outlook clipper - back when I had Outlook.

Hey Chris, thanks for the support!

I really hope we'll be able to change everyone's current opinion that Powerbot has become redundant after the Web Clipper update.

Here's a side-by-side comparison we did: http://blog.powerbotapps.com/post/53676551106/powerbot-vs-web-clipper

The Chrome clipper beta works, the Powerbot beta doesn't (at least not for me). That makes a compelling difference.

Also, the Chrome clipper does clip an entire conversation - or rather, it clips all expanded messages. 

Good news!

We've recently added two big new features to the beta channel:

1. Evernote Reminders support - you can add a reminder and specify date/time when clipping something.

2. Related Notes - see relevant Evernote content when browsing a conversation or composing a message.

• 3 weeks later...

So two questions. I bought this application for my Toshiba computer several weeks ago, and now have purchased a MacBook Air. How do I transfer the account over there.

Also, although I like the product, it doesn't seem fair to me that the credit card automatically charges again on the anniversary of purchasing and there doesn't appear to be any way to turn off the account (or change the credit card, for that matter).

Thanks,

Michael

• 5 weeks later...

@Michael

I'm sorry - haven't visited this thread in a while. To use the app on a different machine you only need to download the extension and log in - we don't charge extra for multiple devices. As for automatic charging - I believe that is standard practice for subscription services (e.g. Evernote does the same thing when you sign up for the annual plan). If you need to change something about your account, please reach out to support@powerbotapps.com.

Good news everyone!

The new build, which is going live in a minute, has a pretty huge new feature - support for Dropbox. Now you can clip messages/threads/attachments to Dropbox and insert file links when composing new messages or replies.

As before, the beta extension is available for Google Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/powerbot-for-gmailbeta/pclgjgcdpeaolckmdfbliamcebmcieof

Let us know what you think - hello@powerbotapps.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not at the moment, but are planning a separate email app for Mac/iOS, that would have Evernote interation as well.

Of course, many of us are migrating much of our "digital" lives onto iPad.  Only having Powerbot on my desktop is a bummer.  I'm currently using other workarounds, but oh, how I long for Powerbot!

• 1 month later...

Features stopping me from using Powerbot

This looks like a great product, particularly the Apple Mail clipper, but I can't use it yet for two reasons:

Major inconvenience: Although the URL is stored in the note, it can't be clicked (in Evernote) to launch the browser to get back to the original message.

Show-stopper: I use an alias on my company gmail account my.name@mycompany.com, but the account login is my.name@mycompany.org, so Powerbot will not clip any messages I receive at my.name@mycompany.com, which is almost all of my work messages.

Suggested solutions would be to use the mail:// URI for the messages URL (then it would actually open in Mail, which would be great. For the alias problem, allow me to define an alias.

Archived