Skitch for Mac 2.5.2 is Live

Joe Lopez

Idea

32 replies to this idea

I added the system name and that fixed the crashing problem.

I checked and sure enough, my images were getting exported despite the error message. And now I no longer get the error message. 

Thanks for your help - this resolved my issues.

Quentin

I'm glad we could help! We're working on a fix to make sure the error message does not display.

Update on crashing and export.

Thanks for everyone who has sent in their activity logs and letting us know about your issue. We are investigating the cause and working to come up with a solution. 

As for Export: We're also investigating this issue, but having a hard time reproducing the problem. For those who are having an export problem can you please shoot me a private message with steps that you followed along with your acitivity log. That may help us track down the issue you're seeing.

And a quick reply to this comment:

Rather than trying to solve this via PMs and secret "tricks" - wouldn't it be better to do it out in the open here on the forum?

There are no secret "tricks." My reason for asking people to send me private messages vs. posting in the forums is to let them send me their activity logs, contact emails, and specific details about their Mac configuration. This is information that I would prefer users keep private and not share in a public forum.

There are times when I ask people to try out some things to resolve their problems which generally require them to send us messages back and forth. Most of these are simple things like uninstall/reinstall/restart. There is one suggestion I ask some users (not all) to try, but it comes with the potential for data loss for any unsaved note. I don't often ask someone to do that unless it seems like the only thing to try and if the user can risk potentially losing some unsaved data. I don't post this method, because it isn't the kind of thing I would want anyone "just trying" because it can result in data loss and also blows away the activity log which is very helpful for us in diagnosing potential problems. 

So I hope everyone understands that the request for private messages is partly protect people's personal information and partly to try specific steps to a person's unique situation or to give them a method which shouldn't be applied haphazardly. 

Hi everyone, seems there are two main issues being reported here, Skitch crashes upon login and "The operation could not be completed" when trying to Export an image. Our dev team is currently investigating these and we're working on fixes as we speak. In the meantime, could you try the following suggestions? Please let us know if these suggestions help or not. We appreciate the feedback and continue to work on making Skitch perfect!

Skitch crashes upon login

We've identified a crash when the "Computer Name" is blank. For those that are running into this problem, please check that your Computer Name is not blank. This can be found under Apple > System Preferences > Sharing. If it is, please enter a computer name and then try logging in to Skitch.

13%2011:54%20AM.png

13%2011:56%20AM.png

"The operation could not be completed..." when Exporting

I encountered this error when I try to Export the image while I am not signed in. Even though I get an error, the image actually still gets exported. Can you please check that this is the case? We are currently investigating the cause of the error. If the image is NOT exported at all or if this happens even when signed in, then please let us know because that means you're probably encountering a different issue.

Even if the "Export" image works, I understand the error message can be an inconvenience. I would actually suggest using the "Drag Me" tab, which does not throw this error and is, in my opinion, much quicker!

13%201:27%20PM.png

And a quick reply to this comment:

Rather than trying to solve this via PMs and secret "tricks" - wouldn't it be better to do it out in the open here on the forum?

There

are no secret "tricks." My reason for asking people to send me private

messages vs. posting in the forums is to let them send me their activity

logs, contact emails, and specific details about their Mac

configuration. This is information that I would prefer users keep

private and not share in a public forum.

There

are times when I ask people to try out some things to resolve their

problems which generally require them to send us messages back and

forth. Most of these are simple things like uninstall/reinstall/restart.

There is one suggestion I ask some users (not all) to try, but it comes

with the potential for data loss for any unsaved note. I don't often

ask someone to do that unless it seems like the only thing to try and if

the user can risk potentially losing some unsaved data. I don't

post this method, because it isn't the kind of thing I would want anyone

"just trying" because it can result in data loss and also blows away

the activity log which is very helpful for us in diagnosing potential

problems. 

So I hope everyone understands that the request for private messages

is partly protect people's personal information and partly to try

specific steps to a person's unique situation or to give them a method

which shouldn't be applied haphazardly.

All fair comments - thanks for that.  I agree totally about keeping peoples' information private, but posting various suggestions and fixes - along with any caveats about data loss or whatever - is what open forums like this are intended for, surely?  Mutual help?  But I take your points, and recognize that you are providing an almost one-on-one help situation for some folks, which is good for them, but leaves everyone else in the dark.

OK - I won't bang on about it further, as I'm not having the problem as I'm still using Skitch v1 as posted above.  But I AM following all these threads to find if or when I might try again with an update... :)

And thanks for being a responsive Evernoter on here - it IS appreciated :wub:

This worked for me (crash on evernote authentication).  Thanks for the followup!

Hi everyone, seems there are two main issues being reported here, Skitch crashes upon login and "The operation could not be completed" when trying to Export an image. Our dev team is currently investigating these and we're working on fixes as we speak. In the meantime, could you try the following suggestions? Please let us know if these suggestions help or not. We appreciate the feedback and continue to work on making Skitch perfect!

Skitch crashes upon login

We've identified a crash when the "Computer Name" is blank. For those that are running into this problem, please check that your Computer Name is not blank. This can be found under Apple > System Preferences > Sharing. If it is, please enter a computer name and then try logging in to Skitch.

I added the system name and that fixed the crashing problem.

I checked and sure enough, my images were getting exported despite the error message. And now I no longer get the error message. 

Thanks for your help - this resolved my issues.

Quentin

We've identified a crash when the "Computer Name" is blank. For those that are running into this problem, please check that your Computer Name is not blank. This can be found under Apple > System Preferences > Sharing. If it is, please enter a computer name and then try logging in to Skitch

Thanks Jer Villanueva!

Started having the problem with "Evernote Quit unexpectedly" after applying the patch this morning as well.  Adding the computer name under sharing fixed the problem for both Skitch and Evernote.

Oh, how I long for the day when Skitch is as seamlessly integrated into EN on Mac as it is in Windows… Today, for example, I used Clearly (Firefox) and imported an interesting article. How I'd like to draw just some arrows into it before sharing!

I thought of a possible solution, waiting for the real integration: What if I could, easily, export from EN to Skitch (and then back again)?

(For the time being, it seems like OneNote's combination of writing and drawing is unsurpassed. But then, who wants to be forced into the Office Pack for every note you take?)

r.

Thanks Jer Villanueva! Setting the "Computer Name" fixed the crashing-at-login problem. w00t!! (FWIW I had to make the change twice - the first time I changed it didn't seem to hold.)

I abandoned Skitch last year and removed it from my system.

Today I installed from the AppStore to give it another try and it's working fine.  Copied to email, synced to EN, etc. etc.

No problems, unlike many other posters.  Not sure why I'm having no problems, but clearly something is different.  OSX 10.8.4

@Boatguy - Many of the users reporting issues in this thread hit a bug where if they did not have a computer name set on their Mac, it caused some login and export bugs. 

We have a bug fix in with the next release which will address the computer name problem. 

• Level 5*

I don't agree with all of the changes in the Mac Evernote app, and there are others I want to see, but on the whole, I think it is considerably better than v. 3, so we'll have to agree to disagree there. In fact, they have added a lot of new features that really make the app work smoothly for me such as a plain text option, related notes, and faster incremental searching.

As for Skitch, I didn't agree with the hue and cry that occurred with the update, but while Skitch is useful for me, I have to admit that it isn't integral to my work right now. This is nothing against Skitch, but just a function of what I am doing. There are a few features I guess I got used to using, and without them, there wasn't any point. Does it still not have font control? I should upgrade again to check.

Penultimate? Well, it never had a zoom box, so as nice as some aspects were, it couldn't really work for me. I am not so keen on Notes Plus, and much prefer GoodNotes, but the key is to find something that fits your workflow. It doesn't have to be Evernote, though it would be nice if it all could be! If we could have all of the features in v.1 in v.2 of Skitch, I'd be all set. If we could have a zoom box in Penultimate and the ability to markup PDFs, then I would probably be using it as well. Until then, they are round pegs in square holes for me.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't see any degradation in the apps like you do! Penultimate and Skitch have just moved in a direction that doesn't make them suitable for my particular workflow. I still recommend them to people all of the time if I think they will fit someone's use case.

Hi Grumpy :)  Yes, I agree completely about not posting individual log files here - they should be via PM etc.  But the process of sorting things out, suggestions made, etc should all be out here on the forum, for the benefit of others.

Interesting that you too are still on Skitch v1.  I'm also still on Evernote v3.3.0 on the Mac for similar reasons - the updates to v5 and above have way too many problems, and things missing.  For you, it's fonts in Skitch.  For me, it's the lack of a configurable toolbar in Mac v5 - apparently I still can't put things where I want them or put a print button on there.  Not to mention all the other problems that have been discussed at GREAT length in here.  v3.3.0 just keeps on working for me, with absolutely no problems whatsoever.  I just don't NEED to upgrade either Skitch or Evernote.  And I've given up on Penultimate due to the non-selective syncing and the lack of a zoom feature, and gone to Notes Plus - HIGHLY recommended.

I've turned "Check for updates" off in Evernote and I never check in Skitch - v1 still has all those features that made Skitch such a great app in the first place.

Wonder just WHY both Skitch and Penultimate have been degraded since taken on board by Evernote?  And the main Mac Evernote program has also been degraded by the "updates".  I'm getting the distinct impression of a trend here....  and not a good one.  Design plans and directions that are fixing things that aren't broken, and not fixing things that are...

• Level 5*

Given that several people are having problems, it would be educational for all - including those who read forums but never post - to go through the process along with the Skitch team and the people with the problems.

I'm not having any problems myself, as I'm still on Skitch v1.0.11 - does everything I need, and remains problem-free.  But I'm following the evolution of v2.x.x to see if or when I should take the plunge and upgrade, so watching this problem get sorted out would indeed be very useful.

I don't think people ought to be posting their Activity Logs here, and it is probably a lot better if they send them to Joe via PM. However, I agree with you about the suggestions. It would be nice if we could see some of the solutions so that we could flesh out what works, what doesn't, and get a better sense of what is happening.

As for me, I am also with Skitch v.1. I've upgraded several times to 2, but it always seems to have this or that feature missing, or it does things differently, and I find I spend so much time fiddling with it that I don't get my work done. It's a fine product, don't get me wrong, but 1 just works better for me. I need to spend more time with the app to see what exactly it is about it I have trouble with, but if memory serves me (I could be wrong!) I couldn't even change font sizes in Skitch 2, and I'm afraid that is a non-starter for me.

Given that several people are having problems, it would be educational for all - including those who read forums but never post - to go through the process along with the Skitch team and the people with the problems.

I'm not having any problems myself, as I'm still on Skitch v1.0.11 - does everything I need, and remains problem-free.  But I'm following the evolution of v2.x.x to see if or when I should take the plunge and upgrade, so watching this problem get sorted out would indeed be very useful.

Joe, I am a big fan of Skitch. However I see the same problem (2.5.2 crashes when I try to login with my Evernote account). I have uninstalled, rebooted, and tried both the App store and Evernote versions of 2.5.2 with no improvement. See the attachment for crash info.

When I tried to export a small image as png or jpg I get this error: "The operation could not be completed. No other information is available about the problem."

Skitch does not allow me to view the activity log -- it is grayed out in the Help menu. Perhaps because I cannot login?

I have Ticket# 35796 open with support.

Thanks

Quentin

@dwoodwoo

What issue are you having with export? I just exported an image as a PNG without any issues. What exactly is broken?

Can you also send me a PM with the contents of your Activity Log? You can find it by going to Help->Activity Log. Thanks.

I'm having trouble with the new skitch 2.5.2.  Any time I try to log in to my evernote account, it unexpectedly quits.  This happens whether I try to do it first thing, or say "Do this Later" and go back to it.  I tried both the apple store and evernote.com versions and both have the same problem.  I am using mac os 10.8.3.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Archived