Help! I moved all notes into 1 notebook

Douglas Bray

Idea

Hi,

I was cleaning up my Evernote, deleting unnecessary notebooks and transferring notes over to other notebooks. I have some shared notebooks with my colleagues and I accidentally moved all my notes into my default notebook. I thought I only had one notebook open, and so I selected all the notes, not realising that I actually had all my notes open. I need some way to revert what I just did, to go back. Any ideas? This is urgent so I appreciate any support. Thanks.

11 replies to this idea

Hi,

I was cleaning up my Evernote, deleting unnecessary notebooks and transferring notes over to other notebooks. I have some shared notebooks with my colleagues and I accidentally moved all my notes into my default notebook. I thought I only had one notebook open, and so I selected all the notes, not realising that I actually had all my notes open. I need some way to revert what I just did, to go back. Any ideas? This is urgent so I appreciate any support. Thanks.

Do you have a recent backup you could restore from???

• Level 5*

I moved all of my notes into one notebook on purpose :)

I think BNF is right about the backup. That's the best way to go about doing this. If you don't have a backup (I strongly recommend everyone keep their own backups), I suppose you could contact customer service, but I don't know if there is anything they could do about it.

Short of a backup, did you sync? If you didn't & don't sync, the web client should be fine. You can rebuild the database on your Mac from that. I'm pc, so can't give you details.

I don't have a recent backup. To be honest, I don't know how to backup Evernote. After this experience I will have to learn that. Even if I did backup though, I work out of Evernote for everything, so the latest backup was 3 days old, then I would loose a lot of work. Not sure if this is the right solution. 

I think BNF is right about the backup. That's the best way to go about doing this. If you don't have a backup (I strongly recommend everyone keep their own backups), I suppose you could contact customer service, but I don't know if there is anything they could do about it.

Thanks, I still need to have some notebooks to share, otherwise, yes I am merging all my notes into 1 of 3 notebooks. Unfortunately, because I have synced, I think this is a lost case. It's okay, fortunately the shared notebook only has a few tags so I can likely relocate those notes (which is the most important), but for the majority of my Evernote home / work is in one notebook. I can deal with that. It's a good incentive to clean out my Evernote notes anyway. Thanks all.

I don't have a recent backup. To be honest, I don't know how to backup Evernote. After this experience I will have to learn that. Even if I did backup though, I work out of Evernote for everything, so the latest backup was 3 days old, then I would loose a lot of work. Not sure if this is the right solution. 

That's why there are such things as automated, daily backups & versioning.

• Level 5*

Thanks, I still need to have some notebooks to share, otherwise, yes I am merging all my notes into 1 of 3 notebooks. Unfortunately, because I have synced, I think this is a lost case. It's okay, fortunately the shared notebook only has a few tags so I can likely relocate those notes (which is the most important), but for the majority of my Evernote home / work is in one notebook. I can deal with that. It's a good incentive to clean out my Evernote notes anyway. Thanks all.

Glad it worked out in the end. On the Mac, I use Time Machine, and on Windows, I'd recommend something similar that keeps versions of your work. It requires no effort, is performed automatically every hour, and ensures that I protect myself from myself.

Sometimes, the problem with a cloud service that syncs is that it syncs not only the stuff you meant to do, but the mistakes as well :)

That's why there are such things as automated, daily backups & versioning.

I clearly need to learn more about the automated solutions for daily backups & versioning. Do you have any links that explain the differences between backups & versioning and teach make users how to do so? 

Here is a couple of questions I would have about backups & versioning:

1.   What's the difference between backup & versioning?

2.   When I sync Evernote as normal, would that constitute a backup?

3.   Because I work so much out of Evernote, if my backup is even 3 hours behind, I could likely loose 3 hours of work. I guess setting to automatically backup every 1-2 hours would be fine.

On another note, I ended up restoring all the notes back to my shared notebook. I just asked my colleague who hadn't synced yet to tell me all the tags and number of notes. Then I searched them and put them back. Fortunately there was only 29 notes so it wasn't too difficult. I am very interested to improve my backup habits so if something like this does happen, I can quickly go back. 

• Level 5*

Hi. Because you are on a Mac, I'd say the easiest solution (and arguably the best one) is to purchase an external hard drive (one at least double the size of the storage on your computer), plug it in, and (you should be prompted) set up Time Machine. It will keep hourly versions of today's files, and daily ones of everything else in the past. Here is a page explaining it.

http://www.maclife.com/article/gallery/10_tips_using_time_machine#slide-0

Evernote syncs with Evernote servers, so it is a backup of a sort, but it will also sync your mistakes! More importantly, I recommend you never put your digital eggs in one basket. External drives are inexpensive, and backup applications like Time Machine are very well designed, so there is no reason not to add this extra layer of protection.

Hi all I am new to the Evernote. Please explain in a simple words what the use Evernote and how to use it

I would suggest you read some of the many threads on the board that describe how people are using it.  You can download/install & play with Evernote.  It's free.

Archived