Change keyboard shortcuts for Crosshair Snapshot?

Da Da

Idea

hey to all!

Wondering how can i change default hot keys for Skitch especially  Crosshair Snapshot?

I'm using Box app which have same shortcut for video capturing so both running same time.. And i can't find how to change it in both   :wacko:

Thanks!

27 replies to this idea

I found that using 10.14 you can turn off the native shift-command-5 screen capture and then Skitch works as normal.

Go to Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts

Then click on "screenshots" and uncheck the last one.

• Like 1

Hey folks... it's Q4 2020 in case anyone is counting.

Since 2013 you have this thread specifying a request to add a simple feature to your Skitch and Evernote products.

To clarify, I'd like to see you add a feature that allows users to customize the default keyboard shortcuts that you chose to use to 

1. Launch the App (skitch in particular) from within any other App running on the Mac
2. Take a crosshair snapshot

That's it.... 

Your competitors have done this in version 1 of their software years ago so, please give it 30 minutes of your attention and put the control back where it belongs - IN THE USER'S HANDS ! ! !

• Like 1

@Da Da

Currently Skitch does not allow for setting custom shortcuts inside of Skitch, but if you're using a recent version of OS X there is a way to over-ride our settings. You can do the following (btw this works for most applications):

Step 1 - Go to System Preferences.

Step 2 - Go to Keyboard

Step 3 - See pic below:

Keyboard.png

Step 4

13%209:03%20AM.png

Step 5 - Quit and restart Skitch. You must do this in order for OS X to over-ride our settings. 

OS X requires you type the name exactly as it is written in the app. For example: If you want to over-ride "Fullscreen" simply type that as the Menu Title. If you want to over-ride "Screen Snap..." you have to type: Screen Snap OPTION+; (the key combo not the actual word OPTION)

• Like 1

I tried to do this to alter/remove the Timed Crosshair Snapshot shortcut, because:

1. I don't want a shortcut for Timed Crosshair Snapshot
  2. The default shortcut conflicts with other applications (specifically Emacs)

I modified the shortcut in both Skitch and the Skitch Helper application as new Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferencees.

Keyboard_177F1F2F.png

I also verified that the shortcut overrides were taken by Skitch and Skitch Helper. 

Capture_177F1FD1.png

Screen_Shot_2013-06-29_at_10.01.00_AM_17

Even though the menu items show that there should be new shortcuts (⌃⌥⇧⌘5) for Timed Crosshair Snapshot, they don't work. The default shortcut (⌃⇧⌘5) still takes precedence and conflicts with Emacs.

I tried to do this to alter/remove the Timed Crosshair Snapshot shortcut, because:

1. I don't want a shortcut for Timed Crosshair Snapshot
  2. The default shortcut conflicts with other applications (specifically Emacs

Even though the menu items show that there should be new shortcuts (⌃⌥⇧⌘5) for Timed Crosshair Snapshot, they don't work. The default shortcut (⌃⇧⌘5) still takes precedence and conflicts with Emacs.

If you manage to resolve this issue, I would be very interested. Currently I have to disable the helper and start skitch again every time I need to use it. 

Quick update: We've traced the issue back to the Skitch Helper app. It appears that while the main app will respect your defined custom key mapping helper apps like Skitch Helper are not updated by OS X. We will have to investigate an alternative way to solve this problem.

Unfortunately at this time we do not have a way to change the key commands for Windows and Windows doesn't have a similar remapping feature like OS X. 

This is a known issue, but we don't have an ETA on when we'll have custom key mapping in Skitch for Windows.

Unfortunately at this time we do not have a way to change the key commands for Windows and Windows doesn't have a similar remapping feature like OS X. 

This is a known issue, but we don't have an ETA on when we'll have custom key mapping in Skitch for Windows.

Thanks, joe. Appreciate the response and will keep my eye out. Love the product suite. 

Hello, is this resolved? Just set it up the way you described but it doesn't work for me.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s9/sh/f962fe2d-2b4a-401d-9271-2607c6825bf6/0c726906893fa260844443d71dc29d56/deep/0/Keyboard.png

As a sidenote, I think you guys underestimate how important keyboard shortcuts are and that they should be integrated into your preferences pane. I am switching my screenshot software (which I use 20x more often than evernote) from Jingproject.com->uploading to my personal SFTP to Skitch->Evernote. But lack of a customizable keyboard shortcut is a deal breaker. Evernote search not having a keyboard shortcut was a major problem too, until I got this alfred workflow: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/840-evernote-80-search-create-append-preview-set-reminders-all-within-alfred/.

Hey,

I have the same problem.

I tried it with the "keyboard setting", not just for Skitch, even for Skitch Helper, and the hotkey shows correctly in the menu bar, but it still reacts to cmd + shift + 5, instead of the custom one.

It would be very nice, if you could add the hotkey mapping functionality (I don't think that this is hard to implement  :D).

Currently I can't open the Helper because of a conflict.

Kind regards

On 11/13/2013 at 5:58 AM, arturino said:

SELECT ALL APPS and not SKITCH!!

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=832

thanks

I'm seeing the remapped shortcut work - but only if Skitch is the active app - that kind of defeats the purpose. I'm thinking the quoted example above tries to tackle this issue by also selecting All Applications? Still not working for me though... I can only invoke the skitch screenshot if skitch is already the app currently active. 

Unable to customize keyboard shortcuts, this and subsequent suggestions all fail.

I only returned to Evernote for a promised refreshed and better Skitch experience.

Sadly, re-deleted Skitch and Evernote and off to look at Monosnap etc.

The inability to customize keyboard shortcuts is like a car where you can't move the drivers seat forward or backward—what a waste of great software :/

On 7/10/2017 at 8:37 AM, alanevernote said:

Unable to customize keyboard shortcuts, this and subsequent suggestions all fail.

I only returned to Evernote for a promised refreshed and better Skitch experience.

Sadly, re-deleted Skitch and Evernote and off to look at Monosnap etc.

The inability to customize keyboard shortcuts is like a car where you can't move the drivers seat forward or backward—what a waste of great software :/

Thank you so much for suggesting Monosnap!! What a lifesaver! 

Here is my fix. Works with Mojave.

Requirements:

You need Xcode or something else for editing .plist-files!

Open the Activity Monitor.app.

And Search for "skitch".

Then open the Terminal.app.

cd ~/Library/Containers
find . -iname '*skitch*plist'

results could look like this:
./J8RPQ294UB.com.skitch.SkitchHelper/Data/Library/Preferences/J8RPQ294UB.com.skitch.SkitchHelper.plist
./com.skitch.skitch/Data/Library/Preferences/com.skitch.skitch.plist

Next step needs Xcode!

Still in Terminal.app:
open ./J8RPQ294UB.com.skitch.SkitchHelper/Data/Library/Preferences/J8RPQ294UB.com.skitch.SkitchHelper.plist

Change the StartHelperAtLogin value:

from
StartHelperAtLogin: YES
to
StartHelperAtLogin: No

And SAVE the file.

Now do the same with com.skitch.skitch.plist:
open ./com.skitch.skitch/Data/Library/Preferences/com.skitch.skitch.plist

Don't forget to SAVE.

Back in Activity Monitor.app.

Quit the Skitch and Skitch Helper (use the lite "x"-icon).

Now the Skitch Helper should only start when Skitch.app starts and should never re-spawn automatically if the processes were killed.

On 10/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, GmailUser said:

Requirements:

You need Xcode or something else for editing .plist-files!

That doesn't actually require Xcode. The `.plist` is a plaintext XML file, so you can open it in any plaintext editor. (Like TextEdit or BBEdit, not MS Word.)

However, this preference seems to do it on Mojave just fine, without manually editing anything. Just uncheck both of the Skitch Helper checkboxes:

Skitch_Helper_Preferences.png

The May 14, 2013 solution which re-maps the Crosshair Snapshot shortcut from CMD+SHIFT+5 to something else did not work for me.

The October 22, 2018 solution which disables the Skitch Helper only works for me when Skitch is not running.

Currently, I'm using the October 22, 2018 solution but am required to quick Skitch if I want to use Mac's CMD+SHIFT+5 shortcut to do a screen recording. I would love to see a feature in Skitch that allows customizing shortcuts!

I'm a paying customer of Evernote. The feature I use most often is Skitch. I am shocked to come here and find that this problem has been known about for seven years and nothing has been done. It seems like a pretty easy change. Personally, I'd like to just bump them up to the next number — Command-Shift-5 to --6 and Command-Shift-6 to -7.

Can we get an update from the Evernote/Skitch team?

This crosshair issue has been plaguing me for years, and only this month did I discover that Skitch was the culprit.

I was hopeful that overriding the shortcut in the macOS system dialog would fix this, but that doesn't seem to work with Skitch 2.9 (265157) and on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H114).

The discussion did point me to the Screenshots keyboard shortcuts settings though, so in the end I remapped the Screen Capture shortcut - which I use a lot - to Ctrl-Alt-Command-5. But I think Skitch should respect the OS shortcut override.