(Archived) Can search return Notebooks instead of Notes

I want to create a search that returns all Notebooks that don't contain any notes with a specific tag.

I have project-related notebooks. Each notebooks contains notes representing individual tasks.All of the active projects are collected in a stack named: Projects-Active

I have a system where I tag a task note with ".next" when I want to make that the current task, which I can retrieve with a saved search across all my active projects. That works fine.

I want to identify any active projects that don't have at least one task tagged ".next" because every project should have at least one such task.

If I do this: stack:"Projects-Active" -tag:".next"

I get a list of notes that don't have the .next tag. That's not what I want. I want a list of project notebooks that don't contain any notes with the .next tag.

Can this be done?

Glenn

I want to create a search that returns all Notebooks that don't contain any notes with a specific tag.

I have project-related notebooks. Each notebooks contains notes representing individual tasks.All of the active projects are collected in a stack named: Projects-Active

I have a system where I tag a task note with ".next" when I want to make that the current task, which I can retrieve with a saved search across all my active projects. That works fine.

I want to identify any active projects that don't have at least one task tagged ".next" because every project should have at least one such task.

If I do this: stack:"Projects-Active" -tag:".next"

I get a list of notes that don't have the .next tag. That's not what I want. I want a list of project notebooks that don't contain any notes with the .next tag.

Can this be done?

Glenn

AFAIK, there is no way to do this.  You're trying to do a search with results that supply notebooks & not the notes themselves.  The Evernote search engine is geared toward returning notes, based upon the search criteria.

• Level 5*

Search returns only notes, not notebooks -- actually it filters the note list according to your search, and the note list only contains notes. So, no -- I don't see any way to get Evernote to do what you want in this case.

If you're on the Windows client, you could try:

* switch to list view, sorted by Notebook

* Use the search: stack:"Projects-Active" tag:".next"

* see if there's a 1-1 correspondence between notes (and their associated notebooks) in your list and notebooks in your stack

Yes, it's ugly,and doesn't scale.

• Level 5*

One avenue you might try is the 3rd-party program BitQwik (http://www.bitqwik.com/), written by forum member roschler. Don't know if it does what you want, but he might be helpful in your quest (he might even make add the capability to BitQwik).

One avenue you might try is the 3rd-party program BitQwik (http://www.bitqwik.com/), written by forum member roschler. Don't know if it does what you want, but he might be helpful in your quest (he might even make add the capability to BitQwik).

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the program. I don't think it does quite what I want, but I'm still glad to know about it.

Glenn

Archived