(Archived) Colored notebooks? come on

rikarr

Messed with EN and gDocs for a while. Finally moved over to EN as OneNote for Android sucks.

Colored Notebooks!!!! Come on. Its the same with Microsoft Outlook. We are visual beings. EN search is powerful as, so i have made 100's of notebook with notes in each but scanning my sidebar for the right one is time sapping. Having a cool green and silver thing going on it fine but really.

I payed for and use EN as its the "least bad" tool. Pleeeeeeeeeeease make these changes.

Dont get me started on search's not returning Notebook titles. These forums are huge, how haven't these things been implemented.

• Level 5*

Messed with EN and gDocs for a while. Finally moved over to EN as OneNote for Android sucks.

Colored Notebooks!!!! Come on. Its the same with Microsoft Outlook. We are visual beings. EN search is powerful as, so i have made 100's of notebook with notes in each but scanning my sidebar for the right one is time sapping. Having a cool green and silver thing going on it fine but really.

I payed for and use EN as its the "least bad" tool. Pleeeeeeeeeeease make these changes.

Dont get me started on search's not returning Notebook titles. These forums are huge, how haven't these things been implemented.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Notebook colors (and colors in general) have long been requested, but I think it is at least unlikely that they will ever be implemented. Time will tell, and maybe I am wrong, but that is my guess about the future. I can certainly see the benefits, and I know people who would get a lot out of it.

For the time being, you might want to tweak your workflow to take advantage of Evernote's features. A couple things that might help would be to work with more tags and fewer notebooks. That alone won't solve the problem, but it will at least alleviate it. If you adopt a naming convention that keeps your notebooks / tags clumped together into groups, you might also find this helps to sort through them. I have some suggestions for tags and notebooks here (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-notebook.html).

Personally, I only have one notebook, so color isn't a feature that would help me out much! I also don't use tags myself, so colors for these would also be wasted on me. I've written a little bit about my system here (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html).

Regarding searches, I encourage you to become familiar with the powerful features that are available (https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23245321). Evernote is easily has the most robust search on any mobile device, and I think you'll find this will help out a lot with navigation of your notes.

As for the implementation of suggestions, the developers read the user forums, listen, and respond in discussions, but in the end they have to make design decisions, and it would be impossible to implement all of the suggestions.

Hey Grumpy, 

Thanks kindly for your reply. Its actually the powerfull saved queries and tags that made me go nuts with "collections" of named notebooks.

Its the tags and search's that woo'd me and had me purchase. What with the "watched" folders and OCR'ing, iv bought a ScanSnap 1300 (which id been looking at for a few years tbh) to go paperless.

Regardless, colors would be a a seemingly small change for a large visual benefit. Branding being the issue they want to avoid I think is silly. EverNote is easily best of class, i sell it to anyone that will listen. What with Google setting their sights on the area, i don't want to see EN loose ground and get swallowed by another product due to resting on laurels and making potentially product limiting decisions, ala Nokia, RIM etc.

Iv spent many hours researching "poweruser use" of the tool before setting up but thank you kindly again for your links, will check.

• Level 5*

I doubt the lack of colored notebooks puts Evernote into "resting on their laurels".

Nokia and RIM (actually, the company formerly known as RIM, but now called Blackberry) in the same sentence as Evernote. I guess that is kind of a compliment, because both companies are valued much higher (billions) than a tiny startup like Evernote  :)

At any rate, I agree that the lack of colored notebooks or any other feature probably does not point to laziness. It is a design decision, and whether we agree with it or not, we ought to at least recognize that they are making huge strides in improving the service (a massive overhaul of many of the major apps last fall, a re-thinking of how shared notebooks work, the introduction of Business, several new features like Related Notes, Reminders, etc., etc.). For a lazy bunch of developers, they sure are doing a lot!

I doubt the lack of colored notebooks puts Evernote into "resting on their laurels".

Yah, probably a sketching connection, still :)

They may have been ( still are?) a small start up, though at last check, were valued at 1B, and have 1.4M paying customers.

As i hinted, i don't think they are being lazy, i would imagine they are trying to keep the whole green and silver thing going on.

Anywho.

Archived