How to clip PDF in Firefox on Mac?

cdwilson

When I open a PDF in Safari and Chrome and click the Web Clipper button, there is a big button titled "Save PDF".  When I open the same PDF in Firefox (using pdf.js), this option does not exist. 

Is there a way to enable this in Firefox on the Mac?

Saving the file to the computer and adding to Evernote manually is not an option for me because the Web Clipper saves the URL in the info section of the note.  This information is lost when saving the URL to the computer and adding it manually.

• 1 year later...

It's currently available in Clipper version 5.9.1. One pre condition is that you have the Adobe Acrobat NPAPI plug-in to display the PDF in the browser. Other PDF renderers may work but we test against this one. 

• 1 month later...

It's currently available in Clipper version 5.9.1. One pre condition is that you have the Adobe Acrobat NPAPI plug-in to display the PDF in the browser. Other PDF renderers may work but we test against this one. 

I understand why the NPAPI plugin is used in Windows as Acrobat Reader is the most popular PDF viewer on that platform. However, given that Firefox has a built in PDF viewer (PDF.js) and Mac OS X has a decent PDF viewer in Preview.app, there is generally less of a need to install Acrobat Reader on the Mac (and given the constant security updates that need applying, it's not something you'd want to install unless absolutely necessary).

Would it be possible/practical for the Firefox plugin to use the built-in PDF.js viewer, since this is a known quantity on all Firefox-supported platforms? It would also remove an external dependency on third party software?

Archived