(Archived) HELP NEEDED: Restore Previous Notebook Assignments of Notes

Does anyone know how to restore the notebook that a note was assigned to?  I have a 1.5yr old daughter who somehow managed to put all of my notes into a single notebook.  I have 1000s of notes that were across many notebooks and I've lost all this.  I'm trying to figure out how to restore my previous notebooks.  

Unfortunately the computer that I was using synced to the Endnote servers before I realized what had happened.  I'm hoping there is a way to restore a previous version of my entire Evernote library.  Any thoughts?

Thank you

Does anyone know how to restore the notebook that a note was assigned to?  I have a 1.5yr old daughter who somehow managed to put all of my notes into a single notebook.  I have 1000s of notes that were across many notebooks and I've lost all this.  I'm trying to figure out how to restore my previous notebooks.  

Unfortunately the computer that I was using synced to the Endnote servers before I realized what had happened.  I'm hoping there is a way to restore a previous version of my entire Evernote library.  Any thoughts?

Thank you

What client are you using?

Do you have a recent backup?

Suggest you make it more difficult for a 1.5 y/o to access important things on your computer.

• Level 5*

Ouch. Check your account on the web on the offchance that the sync didn't happen.  If it did,  put in a support request - Evernote might be able to help you out,  but beyond looking at each individual note's history I can't think of a way to reverse engineer that bit of small person magic.  While you're still in shock I won't do the usual "backups can be really useful" speech,  but its definitely something you ought to think about before your little angel goes computing again...

Edit: snipped by BnF!

running evernote in Mac OS X 10.8.3

My Evernote library is backed up regularly both locally and through a cloud service.  I backup via the "Export Note..." function so my backup consists of an .enex file of my Evernote library and I also have all attachments saved to a backed up directory.  This all happened because I had all my notes selected, had just completed a local backup, and then my daughter who insisted on being on my lap hit the keyboard with all notes selected and moved them to one of my notebooks.  Evernote had synced to the server by the time I realized her hitting the keyboard had moved files.  Unfortunately I learned that the backed up .enex file only seems to store tags and not the assigned notebook.  When I imported my  backed up .enex file all the notes went into a new imported notebook and previous notebook assignments where lost.  As I understand right now either: (1) the .enex file does not have the notebooks encoded in it; this seems to be the case as viewing the file in a text editor I'm not seeing anything that is obviously a notebook assignemnt, and (2) I was stupid to not realize that exporting all notes as a single .enex did not capture notebook assignments.  

And yes, this will be the last time I let my daughters sit on my lap while I'm working, even if they are crying...

Any suggestions welcomed...

running evernote in Mac OS X 10.8.3

Please search the Mac section on 'restore'.  I know the restore process has been discussed already.  If you are still unsure what to do, you should submit a support ticket.  (see my sig)

PS - when restoring, to retain any changed or newly added notes since your backup, you would want to tag them with the notebook name & export them to enex.  Then you can restore from your current backup & import the enex file.  These are general instructions & you should make sure you understand them & the process before doing anything.  As I said above, if you're unsure, you should submit a support ticket.  I'm PC so can't be more specific on Mac stuff.

So tag is really a smarter way to orginize notes. But I did not know that the .enex files don't keep the info about assigned notebook. Maybe we should chosse to tag notes rather than to spilt them into the notebooks again? But if we do, EN may need to develop a new function-- share notes by tags.

So tag is really a smarter way to orginize notes. But I did not know that the .enex files don't keep the info about assigned notebook. Maybe we should chosse to tag notes rather than to spilt them into the notebooks again? But if we do, EN may need to develop a new function-- share notes by tags.

Enex files are not intended to be used as backups. IE, restoring from an exb file on Windows retains notebook info. Please search the board on backups to find which library to backup for a Mac. Backup/restore has already been discussed extensively on the board.

Archived