(Archived) Can't read the Mac App Tag page -- so gray. Please add contrast

Mark F

Idea

Not everyone has perfect eyes. I'm one of them.  I would like to use the Tags page on my Mac app more often to get to content, but I can very barely read it.  The contrast is turned so low, with the gray lettering on gray background.  For what purpose, I ask? Some web designer said, hey yeah, that's the cool trend now -- unreadable pages.

Is there any reason why Evernote cannot take a few minutes and turn up the contrast in their CSS stylesheet? You know, like dark text on lighter pages, the way it's been since the Gutenberg? It really is ridiculous. Come on Evernote.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Sometimes I wonder if the Evernote designers actually use Evernote in their own life. Or is this caused because marketing came down with an iron fist and said that is the way it must be. It is difficult to understand how quality assurance could sign off on this before it was released. In either case, this often mentioned user problem does not seem to be a priority with Evernote.

• Level 5*

The usual process is that if program the meets design spec, then QA signs off. In some organizations, QA has input into the design process, and if so, then it's far better for them to speak then if they have concerns. But once the design is set, then QA's job is to verify that the program meets it. The customer feedback loop is performed by support, not QA, usually. Usability problems would come from support tickets, and forums like this one. Although, true enough -- some usability testing will be done by the QA folks usually.

Do-overs cost money.

[All of this is not to say that Evernote actually does things this way, or that they shouldn't do usability testing, or heed their customers. It's just a description of a typical way that things are often done in the industry.]

Sometimes I wonder if the Evernote designers actually use Evernote in their own life. Or is this caused because marketing came down with an iron fist and said that is the way it must be. It is difficult to understand how quality assurance could sign off on this before it was released. In either case, this often mentioned user problem does not seem to be a priority with Evernote.

Yes, I've noticed many, many very easy and very logical fixes do not get done.  I really wonder about Evernote sometimes. I's gives me pause.  

As for this one, it's a CSS change. A just a color value.  Literally minutes of time to do.  

EN should either agree, and then take care of it, or disagree and tell us.  This gray area (like the page in question) is unacceptable.

• Level 5*

Yes, I've noticed many, many very easy and very logical fixes do not get done.  I really wonder about Evernote sometimes. I's gives me pause.  

As for this one, it's a CSS change. A just a color value.  Literally minutes of time to do.  

EN should either agree, and then take care of it, or disagree and tell us.  This gray area (like the page in question) is unacceptable.

I'm not a big fan of gray on gray. Apple does it too (see the bottom of iTunes) and it looks (to me) like someone coding sight impaired audiences out of their user experience. I don't know why this is considered better than black on white text, or even black on gray. It is bizarre (in my opinion). However, I doubt anything in Evernote is just minutes of time to do. Heck, even on a website, you have to go through afterwards and ensure that any changes (even just colors) render correctly on the site, and this testing phase can take a long time, especially if you come across something (let's say it is a screenshot from the past) that has to be updated to maintain consistency with the product.

More importantly, I think they just don't agree, and that is cool. Sometimes, people disagree on what is best to do. In the end, it is a design choice they made, it does match with the general Apple aesthetic, and they are at least consistent about it :)

Archived