(Archived) Scansnap newbie questions

jacgus

Idea

I am using Scansnap with Evernote and it working really well. However, I have a few questions and I am hoping someone can enlighten me.

1. What is the difference between Scan to Evernote (Note) and Scan to Evernote (Document) in the Scansnap Manager tool?

2. If I scan two pages, I get two separate notes in Evernote. How do I avoid this?

3. What do I need to do to get the PDF OCR'ed?

Thanks in advance!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I am using Scansnap with Evernote and it working really well. However, I have a few questions and I am hoping someone can enlighten me.

1. What is the difference between Scan to Evernote (Note) and Scan to Evernote (Document) in the Scansnap Manager tool?

2. If I scan two pages, I get two separate notes in Evernote. How do I avoid this?

3. What do I need to do to get the PDF OCR'ed?

Thanks in advance!

Hi fellow ScanSnap user! Welcome to the forums.

I actually can't remember the difference between the Note and Document options - I think one gives you a JPG output,  and the other a PDF.  Depending on your other SS settings though,  you might like to scan to folder first,  and adjust layout/ file names and any other details before you move to Evernote.  In the case where you had two files for instance,  you could have merged them before putting them into a note.

My ScanSnap came with ScanSnap Manager,  which it sounds like you are using - if you go into the properties of your chosen scan,  you should be able to choose between 1 page = 1 file and all pages = 1 file.

The OCR question is another roundabout answer - your file will get OCR'd if you add a PDF or JPG to a note and just wait.  However the ScanSnap normally comes with its own OCR software,  and you can opt to scan to 'searchable PDF' - which means it's already OCR'd and won;t be processed further by Evernote.  The advantage being you know it's been done,  and you don't have to wait any further!

Hope that helps..

Also new to SnapScan and Evernote.  ADVICE PLEASE:  I intend to scan thousands of pages into Evernote.  Then, they'll all appear as thousands of files on Evernote, right?  Then, I can search for words/content when I'm looking for the document?  Should I "scan to Folder" (on the SnapScan Manager choice) and make a folder for (as yet) un-filed scans?  

What I'm asking is for suggestions and good practices for scanning into Evernote in bulk and then finding or organizing later.

Many thanks for all responses

• Level 5*

Please see my reply above.  You can choose whether to have a note per page or a note with several;  you can choose whether or not to OCR in the process.  Experienced Evernote users seem to tend towards descriptive names for the scanned files rather than the date/ time options that ScanSnap offers - it helps to find stuff later.  Scanning to folder means you can edit files and occasionally merge and rename content if necessary.  There have been lots of comments here about the benefits (or otherwise) of tags,  multiple notebooks and fancy codes in titles - whether it's necessary to do so is entirely up to how you prefer to work,  and what your content is going to consist of.

Best advice is always do some scanning - and be prepared to redo it if necessary (ie no shredding yet...) - you'll quickly find out what works and what doesn't.  But you won't ever stop fine-tuning your filing system.  I'm heading for 15,000 notes containing everything from one scribbled scrap to 300 pages of fine print;  I started with Evernote a few years ago,  and I'm still working on my best practices...

Archived