(Archived) Move note to a joined notebook

Hi,

I have been using Evernote with my students for a few weeks now and I am really excited about the possibilities it offers.

I have a premium account and have created notebooks for all of my students and shared these notebooks with them.

Many of them however, are adding notes in their default local notebook and not the one that I have shared with them. I have now made sure that they have all accepted my notebooks, but I have the problem of telling them how to move their notes to the 'joined' notebook. This is easily done on the app for mac which I use, but I have scoured the forum to find a simple way of moving the notes on web-Evernote on non-premium accounts. Most of the replies suggest that I right-click the name of the note and that an option for moving the note will pop up. This does not happen in my experience. 

Another suggestion was that they click on the pencil icon and change the notebook from a dropdown menu - but the joined notebook is not in the list.

There must be a way to do this! 

Can anyone help me?

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum,

Glad to see you are getting a great use out of Evernote with your students.

Not by my Mac so have searched for you and found this:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37453-move-notes-from-one-notebook-to-another/

Not sure if you need to copy, but this is a possibility:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26021-howto-move-note-to-shared-notebook-when-not-the-owner-of-the-notebook/

That will keep you going until someone with access to a Mac comes along. Otherwise I will check this evening.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks for your reply C6REW.

The first link led me to a topic that did not seem to be about the topic title.

The second link let me to a topic that I have read, but which refers the the first of my two scenarios in which there should be an option to 'move note' if they right-click it. I have tried this on both pc and mac and it doesn't seem to work. 

Have things changed since that topic was written a year ago?

Hi Chris,

Are you doing this on the software or web?

If you take another look at the first link it explains what you need to do on the Mac to turn on the Notebook list. 

As to the Windows software I can confirm that if you are in 'Snippet' view, to the right of the Note 'title' you will see the Notebook that the Note is currently in. This has a down arrow to the right, if you click on this, it allows you to select another Notebook to move the Note to.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Although I am using the mac software, I am assuming that most of my students will be using Evernote on the web on a pc at home.

On my pc I have gone in to 'snippet view' on the web. Next to the name of the note there is no notebook. If I right-click on the note name I get the following options:

Open note in a separate window

Print...

Edit

Delete...

I have attached a screenshot of snippet view.

I am using Chrome, but it is the same in Internet Explorer.

post-122936-0-76681800-1367237432_thumb.

Hi Chris,

Forgive my brevity, I am suffering a migraine and cannot see the whole screen.

Click on the pencil icon and this should give you options which include changing the Notebook.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Right, I am up and feeling a little better now.

Click on the pencil icon and it should open another window strip and put the Notebook name in a separate window just below the Note name. Obviously just click on this to change the Notebook location.

This should work for you.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Sorry to sound repetitive, but the joined notebook is not available as an option on the dropdown menu next to the notebook name. I have even created my own test account, shared a notebook with it and tried it out this afternoon to check that I wasn't imagining things.

Hi and morning Chris,

Don't worry about being repetitive, it is important with distances between us that our meaning is understood!

Seems to me that something is very wrong, but it really does not make sense if you are working on the web.

I have asked someone else to pop on the thread and have a look to see if they have any other ideas.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hi,

I have been using Evernote with my students for a few weeks now and I am really excited about the possibilities it offers.

I have a premium account and have created notebooks for all of my students and shared these notebooks with them.

Many of them however, are adding notes in their default local notebook and not the one that I have shared with them. I have now made sure that they have all accepted my notebooks, but I have the problem of telling them how to move their notes to the 'joined' notebook. This is easily done on the app for mac which I use, but I have scoured the forum to find a simple way of moving the notes on web-Evernote on non-premium accounts. Most of the replies suggest that I right-click the name of the note and that an option for moving the note will pop up. This does not happen in my experience. 

Another suggestion was that they click on the pencil icon and change the notebook from a dropdown menu - but the joined notebook is not in the list.

There must be a way to do this! 

Can anyone help me?

Hi. Apologies if I have not followed the discussion well and missed something, but if I understand correctly, you:

(1) Shared a notebook with your students

(2) Confirmed that they have all "joined" your "shared" notebook

(3) No one is making notes in the shared notebook

The first question I have is do you have a Premium account, and did you give them the option to modify the notebook? If not, then they cannot put their notes into the notebook.

If you did do this, then perhaps it is another issue. Could you send me a link to the notebook (by private message if you would like)? I could take a look at it from my end. 

Hi Grumpy Monkey,

You are correct on point one and two, but most of my students are posting in their shared notebook. However, some of them have been posting into their 'home' notebook, and I want to help them move their work to the 'joined notebook'. 

Yes, I have have a premium account and have given them the option to 'modify'. 

I'm not sure which notebook you should look at.

I opened a new account which isn't premium and shared a notebook with it. I created a note in the 'home' notebook and then tried to move it to the 'joined' notebook - this is as far as I can get. The option to move to the joined notebook is not there.

How do I send you a private message?

• Level 5*

Hi Grumpy Monkey,

You are correct on point one and two, but most of my students are posting in their shared notebook. However, some of them have been posting into their 'home' notebook, and I want to help them move their work to the 'joined notebook'. 

I opened a new account which isn't premium and shared a notebook with it. I created a note in the 'home' notebook and then tried to move it to the 'joined' notebook - this is as far as I can get. The option to move to the joined notebook is not there.

OK. I think I see what is happening here. 

(1) Shared a notebook with your students giving them the ability to modify it

(3) Want them to move notes from they made in their personal notebooks into the joined one using the Web interface

Is this right? Try as I might, I cannot get the notes into the joined notebook either. It looks like they will simply have to download and install one of the native clients. Obviously (in my opinion), this is a major deficiency in the Web client, and I will be sure to let the Evernote development team know about it. 

Well, let's work with what we've got now! One workaround I would suggest is to give the students the Evernote email associated with the account that owns the shared notebook. From within the Evernote interface, students can email their notes to that address, and if they put @<notebook name> in the subject line, it will get filed into the appropriate shared notebook, and then they can then edit the note as they would like. LOL. I know, it is kind of bizarre that they cannot move a note from one notebook to another, but they can email it. Sometimes life works like that :) 

• Level 5*

Hmmm it's a bit complicated, but I'm glad that at least I am not going crazy! Thank you for all your help, let's hope Evernote get this sorted!

Indeed. It is an unfortunate complication, but in terms of actual usage, it probably only adds a few extra seconds to the process, so not a big deal. Once the email address is in their contacts, all they have to do is append that @<notebook> thing to the end of the subject line. 

• Level 5*

Often I email to @notebook, but the note still goes into another notebook.

Leslie

Really? I don't use a lot of notebooks, so that might be why I fon't see this. Could you give me details?

Also, it is possible that an auto-filing alpha feature is turned on in your account. You might want to take a look at the settings on the web. I honestly don't understand this feature's behavior yet (it hasn't done anything in my experiments), so it may be totally unrelated to your issue.

Unfortunately, the moving notes from personal notebooks to Joined or Business notebooks on Web is presently by design--older users may recall we used to have a pretty clunky "switch" between joined notebooks and personal notebooks, and the big revision to Web last year brought everything accessible onto one page.  A Web-only workaround would be to have your students copy the entirety of a note (you unfortunately can't copy-to on the client like with the desktop versions, which is what you're looking for here I think) move over to a Joined notebook, and create a new note, paste in the content and add a title.  That's clunky, but may work for your needs.  We are constantly reevaluating usability, and this is one of those things that we'll need to take a look at.

Otherwise, I'm on board with Grumpy and his feedback above.  I'm not seeing anything that would indicate @Notebook isn't working on email--it's a powerful feature that could be useful for your students from a research perspective too.

I may have missed it, but where are your students accessing from?  Home?  A computer lab?  1:1 iPads?  It may be worth looking at installing one of the desktop or core clients on these devices if you're able.

Hi Grumpy Monkey,

OK. I think I see what is happening here. 

(1) Shared a notebook with your students giving them the ability to modify it

(3) Want them to move notes from they made in their personal notebooks into the joined one using the Web interface

Is this right? Try as I might, I cannot get the notes into the joined notebook either. It looks like they will simply have to download and install one of the native clients. Obviously (in my opinion), this is a major deficiency in the Web client, and I will be sure to let the Evernote development team know about it. 

Well, let's work with what we've got now! One workaround I would suggest is to give the students the Evernote email associated with the account that owns the shared notebook. From within the Evernote interface, students can email their notes to that address, and if they put @<notebook name> in the subject line, it will get filed into the appropriate shared notebook, and then they can then edit the note as they would like. LOL. I know, it is kind of bizarre that they cannot move a note from one notebook to another, but they can email it. Sometimes life works like that :)

Thanks everyone.

I have just tried to email using the inbuilt send icon ( an arrow pointing up and to the right) on the note. I sent it to my Evernote email address, but there was no subject line, so it ended up in my default notebook. 

gbarry, most of my students use their smartphone to post - there is no problem for most of them, but many use their family computer at home and I am loath to push the clients on them. 

Thanks everyone.

I have just tried to email using the inbuilt send icon ( an arrow pointing up and to the right) on the note. I sent it to my Evernote email address, but there was no subject line, so it ended up in my default notebook. 

gbarry, most of my students use their smartphone to post - there is no problem for most of them, but many use their family computer at home and I am loath to push the clients on them.

Just to clarify, you can email into your Evernote account from any email client using your Evernote email, so it's probably easier to add notebook and tag information from there.  I believe Premium users can also choose what this is (assuming it's not already taken), so if you're Premium (which you are), open up a quick support ticket and request a personalized version of your Evernote email. On the off chance this becomes a regular use case for you, it'll be easier to remember, and for your students to remember.  For a full rundown of emailing into Evernote: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/04/20/quick-tip-friday-emailing-into-your-evernote-account/

As for their devices and not wanting to push the client at home--that makes sense.  All of the smartphone clients (and Web) allow you to add notes within the Joined notebook, so it may just be that the students need to be encouraged to actively create within the Joined notebook--though I'm not sure how that fits in with the workflow you're trying to build.

That's great, but as my initial problem was moving an existing note from a 'home' notebook to a joined notebook, using an external email client is less interesting than Grumpy Monkey's suggestion of emailing it using the send option which would have been simple. Can you confirm the lack of subject line? Is there a workaround which doesn't involve cutting and pasting? If I have to cut and paste into an email, I can just as well cut and paste into the correct notebook (which it looks like is going to be the easiest option now anyway).

LeslieG, on 30 Apr 2013 - 13:07, said:snapback.png

Leslie

Really? I don't use a lot of notebooks, so that might be why I fon't see this. Could you give me details?

Also, it is possible that an auto-filing alpha feature is turned on in your account. You might want to take a look at the settings on the web. I honestly don't understand this feature's behavior yet (it hasn't done anything in my experiments), so it may be totally unrelated to your issue.

GrumpyMonkey,

I have one notebook set as my "default" notebook, so if I do not put in @Notebook, then notes go there.  The problem I am having is if I put @Notebook, the notes are still going to my default notebook and I have to move them.  You are supposed to be able to put @Notebook #tag1 #tag2 ....etc. and the note will go into the correct notebook with the tags already attached.

• Level 5*

LeslieG, on 30 Apr 2013 - 13:07, said:snapback.png

Leslie

GrumpyMonkey,

I have one notebook set as my "default" notebook, so if I do not put in @Notebook, then notes go there. The problem I am having is if I put @Notebook, the notes are still going to my default notebook and I have to move them. You are supposed to be able to put @Notebook #tag1 #tag2 ....etc. and the note will go into the correct notebook with the tags already attached.

Hi. You are correct in your understanding of how it works, but I am wondering what the issue could be that is preventing it to function properly for you. Could you provide an example of the subject line you are using? The feature works fine for me.

Maybe you can just give them the email address for the EN and ask them not to forget to add "@shared notebook name" in the email title. Change the address after the course is over to make sure the email would not go into you EN again.

That's great, but as my initial problem was moving an existing note from a 'home' notebook to a joined notebook, using an external email client is less interesting than Grumpy Monkey's suggestion of emailing it using the send option which would have been simple. Can you confirm the lack of subject line? Is there a workaround which doesn't involve cutting and pasting? If I have to cut and paste into an email, I can just as well cut and paste into the correct notebook (which it looks like is going to be the easiest option now anyway).

That makes sense.  There's unfortunately no subject line in the web client's share via email option.  BUT--and this is where things get fun--the subject line of an emailed note is actually the note title.  I just tested it out, and you could email to a specified notebook using the note title.  Both notebook and tags work this way--so simply change the title of the note to include @notebook name and #tags you want to include, then email over to your account using your Evernote email address.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, the moving notes from personal notebooks to Joined or Business notebooks on Web is presently by design--older users may recall we used to have a pretty clunky "switch" between joined notebooks and personal notebooks, and the big revision to Web last year brought everything accessible onto one page. A Web-only workaround would be to have your students copy the entirety of a note (you unfortunately can't copy-to on the client like with the desktop versions, which is what you're looking for here I think) move over to a Joined notebook, and create a new note, paste in the content and add a title. That's clunky, but may work for your needs. We are constantly reevaluating usability, and this is one of those things that we'll need to take a look at.

I may have missed it, but where are your students accessing from? Home? A computer lab? 1:1 iPads? It may be worth looking at installing one of the desktop or core clients on these devices if you're able.

Yes, it would be great if this "move to" and/or "copy to" feature could be added...

I would like to confirm that this feature is also currently absent in the iOS client on iPad.

• 2 weeks later...

I will second (third? fourth?...) the desire to copy notes from a Personal notebook to a Joined noteook. The example I have is when you take a photo with an iOS device, it defaults to a personal notebook. there is no way to copy and paste the photo to a Joined Notebook note.

Thanks

I will second (third? fourth?...) the desire to copy notes from a Personal notebook to a Joined noteook. The example I have is when you take a photo with an iOS device, it defaults to a personal notebook. there is no way to copy and paste the photo to a Joined Notebook note.

Thanks

If you're using the Windows client, you can move notes between personal & joined notebooks.  I do this every day.  If you want to make a copy to add to a joined notebook, make a copy of the note, then move the newly created copy to the joined notebook.

You can also move notes from a personal account to a joined notebook via the web client.

Thanks

If you're using the Windows client, you can move notes between personal & joined notebooks.  I do this every day.  If you want to make a copy to add to a joined notebook, make a copy of the note, then move the newly created copy to the joined notebook.

Not using Windows. Either iOS, OSX or web/chrome on OSX.

Thanks but I see no way to do this with the web client. There is no copy nor is there any way to move them. When I open the Joined Notebooks, it opens a new tab and I do not have access to the others. This is exactly as the other people in this thread have described.

Thanks but I see no way to do this with the web client. There is no copy nor is there any way to move them. When I open the Joined Notebooks, it opens a new tab and I do not have access to the others. This is exactly as the other people in this thread have described.

You edit the note (in your account) & go to where you change notebooks. Easy peasy. Really. Like I said, I do this (moving notes to/from personal & joined notebooks) almost every day with both the Windows client & the web client.  In fact, did it just now.

PS - these are both "personal" accounts, not EB.

I wish it were that easy-peasy... I can copy the content from an existing note in a personal notebook into another note in a joined notebook, but not the whole note. There is nothing that enables that in any of the menus, buttons, drop-downs and incantations I can find.

I wish it were that easy-peasy... I can copy the content from an existing note in a personal notebook into another note in a joined notebook, but not the whole note. There is nothing that enables that in any of the menus, buttons, drop-downs and incantations I can find.

I don't know if you can COPY a note via the web client..  You CAN MOVE a note from a personal notebook to a joined notebook.  You may need to use your desktop, if you want to copy the note first.

If you're using the Windows client, you can move notes between personal & joined notebooks. I do this every day. If you want to make a copy to add to a joined notebook, make a copy of the note, then move the newly created copy to the joined notebook.

You can also move notes from a personal account to a joined notebook via the web client.

I don't know if you can COPY a note via the web client..  You CAN MOVE a note from a personal notebook to a joined notebook.  You may need to use your desktop, if you want to copy the note first.

Sorry, I miss-wrote that...I cannot MOVE it as you describe. I cannot have both the Joined Notebooks and Personal Notebooks open in the same window. Evernote is not allowing that. Any time I click on one or the other it opens a new tab and will not allow access to the other.

Sorry, I miss-wrote that...I cannot MOVE it as you describe. I cannot have both the Joined Notebooks and Personal Notebooks open in the same window. Evernote is not allowing that. Any time I click on one or the other it opens a new tab and will not allow access to the other.

As I said above in post #33, on the web client, go to the note in your personal account & edit it.  Go to where you change notebooks.  The joined notebooks are in the drop down list.  I don't know how to be more clear about this.

Good luck.

As I said above in post #33, on the web client, go to the note in your personal account & edit it.  Go to where you change notebooks.  The joined notebooks are in the drop down list.  I don't know how to be more clear about this.

Good luck.

Just as others have said before me, when I do that, the drop-down menu list includes ONLY all of my personal notebooks, but NONE of the joined ones. I have a dozen or so of both.

Just as others have said before me, when I do that, the drop-down menu list includes ONLY all of my personal notebooks, but NONE of the joined ones. I have a dozen or so of both.

Ah, you are right. I was looking at the wrong account. My apologies. However, moving notes between personal & joined DOES work on the Windows client.

• 3 months later...

Hi again everyone!

I absolutely love the fact that one can now move notes simply from ones home notebook to a shared notebook on mobile devices. This is exactly what i was hoping for!

Does anyone know whether there is a way of doing it on the evernote desktop app on a mac without copying and pasting?

Archived