Can Evernote stop asking me to log in so frequently?

stephenscott

Love Evernote but I do wish it would not log me out so often, or give me an option to stay logged in.

Yes I get the security aspect, but when it logs you out so often or does not give you the choice of a checkbox to remain logged in, it forces people to make less secure passwords so defeats the point.

Why cant we have a permanant 'remain logged in' checkbox on the web version and clipper!?

Just a shout that I've experienced this since forever (both Chrome and FF on Linux) but cookie settings seem to make no difference (although you should always check to rule it out).

Now, I just don't bother anymore and am back to blocking trackers and third parties: the same, apparently random mechanisms seem to apply.

That said: a lot of "Remember me" settings all over the web fail miserably; no idea why -- probably an issue with the cookie itself, not the settings.

I would love a more aggressive sign-in method for those of us who're safe and secure on our home machines. Google never logs me out you know.

Update: just noticed all the other various topics about sign ins. Responded to one there too but it seems all over.

We released Chrome Clipper 5.9.13 yesterday with a re-written auth system. Please verify if you are using Chrome and 5.9.13 and still having issues... 

I checked and I am, but if this release came out yesterday, I'm not sure I noticed yet. Making this a note (how meta) and I'll try to get back. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I checked my release recently and it's 5.9.15 but I'm still having problems with the web clipper on Chrome constantly logging out. I have it installed on two computers and Chrome is set to sync everything between them (the standard Chrome sync settings). Could this be causing it to constantly log out? As it is I don't find it particularly usable :(

I started noticing this when I installed iobit and Advanced System Care, which makes everything a bit more secure.

I now have to re load web pages when I boot the computer up and have to log back on to clipper and other programmes. 

Just got used to it really and accept it is part of the security I now work with.

Best regards

Chris

We are looking into this but so far are not able to reproduce it. If you are affected by this issue and can send me some additional info in a PM or post it here that would be helpful. We'd want to know:

- What other extensions you have installed if any.

- When this happens, on every attempt to clip? Or every X days (roughly)

- If you have any settings that clears the cache or cookies on a regular basis. 

- If you have noticed any special action you take as a user that seems to trigger this behavior.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

One of the things that makes this more anoying than normal, is I use lastpass, so the password is not memorize-able.  So when I go to get the password, the login screen disappears, and I have to enter everything.

Also note... I don't have an option to select to say "Keep me logged in" or Remember me, just a question to show me results in my google searches.

Your questions answered below.

We are looking into this but so far are not able to reproduce it. If you are affected by this issue and can send me some additional info in a PM or post it here that would be helpful. We'd want to know:

- What other extensions you have installed if any.

Adblock Plus, Block Alert Popups, Evernote Web Clipper 5.9.15, Lastpass, Personal Blocklist.

- When this happens, on every attempt to clip? Or every X days (roughly)

Never found a pattern, appears to be every week or two.

- If you have any settings that clears the cache or cookies on a regular basis. 

No, everything "recommended"

- If you have noticed any special action you take as a user that seems to trigger this behavior.

No.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Love Evernote but I do wish it would not log me out so often, or give me an option to stay logged in.

Yes I get the security aspect, but when it logs you out so often or does not give you the choice of a checkbox to remain logged in, it forces people to make less secure passwords so defeats the point.

Why cant we have a permanant 'remain logged in' checkbox on the web version and clipper!?

+1

One clarification - the 'Remember me' checkbox is removed since by default we will keep you logged in until you sign out manually. We are investigating why users get signed out automatically, it is not by design so there is some kind of bug.

Thanks for investigating this.

The annoying thing is that I can be logged into Evernote in Chrome (which remembers my username and password) but the WebClipper thinks I'm logged out (and doesn't remember my username and password).

Forgot to say - I'm using Chrome Browser on ChromeOS (stable).

Hi all,

If you are experiencing being inadvertently logged out frequently can you please try one thing for me and see if it makes a difference.

Disable the 'Smart filing' feature on the Web Clipper options page and let me know if that changes anything on the logout issue.

or

If you know you have experienced the logout issue and know you have had 'Smart filing' disabled all along, please send me a wink.

Have the same issue. And also using LastPass too, so reentering password is a huge PITA. I changed to a simple (less secure) password until this gets fixed. 

Just disabled Smart filing so fingers crossed.

Windows 7

Chrome Version 27.0.1453.94 m

Evernote Web Clipper 5.9.15

Hi all,

If you are experiencing being inadvertently logged out frequently can you please try one thing for me and see if it makes a difference.

Disable the 'Smart filing' feature on the Web Clipper options page and let me know if that changes anything on the logout issue.

or

If you know you have experienced the logout issue and know you have had 'Smart filing' disabled all along, please send me a wink.

Still being asked to log in fairly frequently so the 'work around' does not appear to work.

Best regards

Chris

Me too. I was hoping to learn the cause was something I was doing wrong. This relentless signing out problem has led to my rarely using clipper anymore.

Has anyone looked into nanny antivirus software as a possible cause? I'm using ESET Smart Security.

Hi all, 

I just wanted to follow up on this topic as we have desperately been looking for the root cause for this evasive issue.

We found and fixed one confirmed bug that we released in version 5.9.18 build ID: 61ba7fb on 6/22.

- If you have been affected by the automatic sign out issue and it is no longer happening please give me a shoutout here.

- If you are still having this problem and are using the latest version 5.9.18, please yell at me here. 

Thx

• 1 month later...

Issue still exists using a web clipping applet from my bookmarks toolbar in Safari on the iPad.

Agree, it is annoying to have to log in every week. I use "Pocket" (formerly ReadItLater) and also sometimes use an applet to push content to my Kindle device and neither of those services require logging in after the initial login, even weeks/months later. Evernote is the only web app that doesn't seem to have a remember me function... At least, it won't remember you for more than a week.

It's like having an aging relative who can't remember you when you come for your weekly visit. "Who are you again?" "I'm your grandson, grandma. I'm Barb's son." "Oh, of course."

It just becomes annoying, and is an eye-roller when it happens. But it elicits the same reaction from me every time. Oh yeah, I have to tell Evernote who I am again. Which *does* actually reduce security, from one perspective, because it encourages you to use easy-to-remember passwords that you may use on other web services, just to be able to pull them more quickly from memory.

Plus it has the side effect of forcing me to make one more entry before trying to do a quick task that should be seamless... Making the experience far from seamless. Yet it only happens about once a week, so I get used to the seamless work flow... Until I'm interrupted in my flow by the weekly password request yet again.

Not to mention I just used 5 minutes of my time to log in and post a comment on this topic, which would have been unnecessary if your web app worked like others out there and remembered who I was on this device.

Whew.

Love the app. This, however, is the one thing I don't love about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same issue with Firefox 23.0 and the web clipper on Evernote 5.2.1 for Mac. Logs me out just about every time I try to use it, even though I always click the "Remember me" option. Definitely the most frustrating thing about an otherwise great service. I know I'd use Evernote more if I didn't have to stop whatever I was doing in order to log in nearly every time I clip something to save.

i have the same issue. i guess evernote asks me to login again about every day or every other day (at least it keeps my name and ***** filled in the fields). very annoying

+1. I think logging out happens every day (I'm not sure). Using Chrome on Windows

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue with Google Chrome and clipper signing me out. Using new version of clipper. 

Also, another annoying bug is that once im signed out and i try to sign back it, it keeps pushing me to the user guide page in a new tab, and i have to open 2 new tabs and click the thing like 3 times before I can actually sign in again.

Makes the 'instant clipping experience' not so instant... faster for me to copy/paste into evernote desktop. 

• 2 weeks later...

I start hating Evernote because of this bug / feature or whatever.

The web clipper only works if I don't have to login again ever. No, I don't want to re-login after x days, weeks, whatsover. No, I don't want to re-login after a new browser update, No, especially I don't want to re-login after an extension update. And  because my ultra-secure 25 digit password is not auto-filled from Lastpass. And guess what? I don't remember my evernote password, that's Lastpass' job.

The clipper becomes useless if I can't stay logged in forever. It's not seamless and it's not fun.

Using Both Firefox and Chrome on Linux. I neither block cookies or other other stuff from evernote.

@Gul

Sorry for the issues you are having. It would be helpful to know if this is also happening for your account if you are trying the Web Clipper on a Mac or Windows machine. If this is Linux specific we can probably resolve this faster so if you have opportunity to test on Mac or Win and post back the result that would be great. 

• 1 month later...

This problem still exists for me. Sometimes it happens daily but most times it's more like weekly. I have not changed my cookie settings. This started happening for me about 3 months ago. At present, Clearly is pretty annoying when I have to stop and login all the time. But you know that :)

Hints:

- I'm using Windows 7 with Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63 m

- Clearly's "Options" indicates that I'm "permanently" signed in. 

- Here are my Chrome privacy settings http://screencast.com/t/dsxrIsqb

Thx Mike, we don't really know what's going on here. We cannot reproduce the problem in any of the extensions at this point.

- Exactly when do you notice that you have been signed out? Is it when you start the browser for the day, after a clip, after doing something in Clearly or WC?

- If you can find you what shard you are on then we can look at the server logs, here's how to:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/ba313faf-c54d-4f3c-bea6-b9c62d4b1286/5ffad1e4dc14cf5a9d3f205711eecdfe

@Mike - seems like a cookie problem. 

- Please make sure you allow 3d party cookies from Evernote.

- If you have a setting or extension that resets Chrome / clears cookies / clears local storage regularly this is can be expected to prompt logins. But your screendump of your settings indicates you have settings that should work for WC. 

Can you try clearing cookies or resetting Chrome and see if that helps. 

OK, here's a bizarre clue that I found accidentally today.

I found something to clip.

Clicked on Clearly. It did its thing.

Clicked on the elephant to Clip to Evernote.

I got the login credentials page. 

I cussed. 

I accidentally clicked on the elephant again WITHOUT supplying credentials. The clip worked! 

Confused but true story. 

Clipping on another page works fine too.

It's like the prompt for credentials part gets temporarily confused but when you click again the code knows you're really logged in properly so it does its thing and resets whatever it is that causes the prompt. 

Just sharing. No closer to being able to make it happen on demand though. 

OK, here's a bizarre clue that I found accidentally today.

I found something to clip.

Clicked on Clearly. It did its thing.

Clicked on the elephant to Clip to Evernote.

I got the login credentials page. 

I cussed. 

I accidentally clicked on the elephant again WITHOUT supplying credentials. The clip worked! 

Confused but true story. 

Clipping on another page works fine too.

It's like the prompt for credentials part gets temporarily confused but when you click again the code knows you're really logged in properly so it does its thing and resets whatever it is that causes the prompt. 

Just sharing. No closer to being able to make it happen on demand though. 

OK, I was just forced to log in again and did the same thing as above. 

Bottom line: I don't know anything about the cause but the workaround is easy ... don't enter your password and just click the elephant again. Here's a visual: http://screencast.com/t/hOhHMk4Wwxq

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having the same frustrating issue over the last few weeks.  It's making Evernote unusable for me.

Chrome 31.0.1650.63

Webclipper: 5.7

Interestingly, if I go to EN Clearly, and then clip the Elephant button, the article is saved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This is driving me insane; we're talking a request to log in every second day (web version); across all browsers that I use (Firefox, Chrome, Safari) none of which has had cached sessions cleared.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Web Clipper requires me to log in again every time I close and re-open Safari. I have installed and re-installed the extension, trying both the version from the Safari extensions page and also the one from Evernote with no success. Further, the text now is garbled in a lot of places (for example pages from the Financial Times routinely are garbled) and scrolling through the notebooks when using the clipper is jerky and pretty much unusable. The first and second problems appear to have been going on for a long time for a lot of people and Evernote really needs to fix these bugs. This is especially true given the recent price hike.

On 7/26/2016 at 7:42 PM, Matt Berger said:

log in again every time I close and re-open Safari. I have installed and re-installed the extension, trying both the version from the Safari extensions page and also the one from Evernote with no success. Further, the text now is garbled in a lot of places (for example pages from the Financial Times routinely are garbled) and scrolling through the notebooks when using the clipper is jerky and pretty much unusable. Th

Garbled text: We working on a solution for this problem.

Notebook scrolling: Will be fixed too.

Login problem: Web Clipper should keep you login for a long time. Do you mean the Web version of Evernote?

• 3 months later...

I've been using Evernote for about two years and I never had to sign in over and over again..., but since I've updated recently or had a browser infection (maybe I still have)..., it's exactly what happens..., and it's annoying and distracting..., this ***** little red poing above..., as if I've received a message...! 

I am also using "Momentum" and "Grammarly" as browser extencions..., but this has always been that way...,sometimes even more...!

Is there anything I can do to stop this "misery"...?

• 3 weeks later...

Just changed computers and started getting the evernote sign in prompt page at sign up plus lots of pop in prompts to sign into web clipper..  Firefox 50, Evernote Webclipper extension 6.9.3.

Thank you.

Don't know if it was a recent Firefox update (to 50.0.2) or something else not obvious, but this has been happening to me too for a short while.  Rather annoying having to log back in after exiting the browser and rentering it (immediately or hours later).  Also noticed that an Evernote web quick clipper page usually (but not always!?) pops up (or tries to - sometimes a blank page appears, which I suspect is the EN one, since it sometimes is) when going back in to the browser.

Thing is, I've been using the same set of addons for some time, without issue. 

Now, I can, and probably will have to end up, reinstalling FF and the addons one by one to test if one of them is the cause (if one of these is the culprit), if/when I have time to do problem determination / testing.

Would love to give the full list of addons for the Evernote team to debug it, but seeing that it has been an off and on problem for a few years, seems that either some piece gets missed in testing, or that squeezing one end of the balloon makes the other end grow..

Hi Evernote team, 

I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro and the first thing I installed was Evernote. I find I'm frequently (i.e. every time I open Safari) asked to log back into the web clipper to use it. 

Being a new machine, I'm running latest version of everything (OSX, Evernote and Safari) and have no other applications or extensions installed. This suggests an issue with the Safari version of web clipper and not a conflict or other user-related problem.

I hope it can be addressed soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2016 at 2:14 AM, mj_cowley said:

Hi Evernote team, 

I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro and the first thing I installed was Evernote. I find I'm frequently (i.e. every time I open Safari) asked to log back into the web clipper to use it. 

Being a new machine, I'm running latest version of everything (OSX, Evernote and Safari) and have no other applications or extensions installed. This suggests an issue with the Safari version of web clipper and not a conflict or other user-related problem.

I hope it can be addressed soon.

Same here, clean install of OSX, Chrome and Web Clipper.

Using the new Google Sign-in option, it does not keep me signed in.

I am now a days asked to log in to the safari Web Clipper everyday. Often several times a day.

In the past it has always periodically asked me to log in. guess because safari doesn't save cookies forever (deletes monthly?) but to log several times a day is ridiculous.

On the plus side it seems that since the Clippers update it saves my preferences after I've logged in. So it doesn't try to 'smart file' and I don't have to reconfigure it every time. I'm not sure if the increase in being logged out has to do with new Web Clipper or that I've begun using the 'Freedom' app which blocks web access. 

This is very annoying.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the web clipper (6.10.3 (d02be41/1.1.0.926) and am using the latest version of Mac OS X.  If i quit safari, evernote clipper makes me log in again.  this is very very tedious.  will this never be fixed?

I'm having the same issue as mj_cowley and find it super-frustrating 

I have been using Evernote Web Clipper (I'm a premium member, if that matters) on my 2012 MacBook Air with macOS Sierra, the latest update of Evernote, Safari, and Chrome. With that setup I was only asked to Login to Web Clipper if I restarted my computer. 

Last week I got a new MacBook Pro and am running macOS Sierra, Evernote Version 6.10 (454267 Direct), Safari Version 10.0.2 (12602.3.12.0.1), Chrome Version 55.0.2883.95 (64-bit). Now when I am using either Safari or Chrome, I am asked repeatedly to login to Web Clipper, countless times each day -- and I've not logged out, my computer has not shut down, and the browser had remained in active use. This is very frustrating and time consuming. I don't understand why Web Clipper worked seamlessly on my MacBook Air and requires repeated login on my MacBook Pro. 

Help, please :(

I'm having this issue on multiple machines 3 different browsers. I have 2 factor enabled. So this makes EN web clipping completely unusable. why is this taking so long to fix. It's happening on 2 MBPs one brand new in Chrome, Safari. I haven't really tested it in FF yet. I'm signing in to EN not the google login. I think I his problem started around the time google login was introduced. 

Mine seems to log out right away. Maybe an hour. I started using google to sign in at least it doesn't ask me to 2 factor authenticate each time!  Sure doesn't give me much confidence in this product. Currently this app is nearly useless. EN should refund our fee for as long as this bug remains unresolved. This has been happening for at least the past month now. I'm losing patience with this service. 

II just purchased a new MacBook Pro and I am having this issue on the new computer but never had it on the previous MacBook Pro. I went into System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privace and added Evernote to the list of apps that could control the computer. I then went into Safari and Chrome and signed into the Evernote Webclipper. I closed both browsers and did a restart on the computer. I am signed into clipper on both browsers. Will see if it holds!

Tanzido, this is exactly what is happening for me, it worked fine on my old Mac two weeks ago, then I got a new MacBook Pro (same OS, same Evernote web clipper) and now I have to sign in constantly. Please let us know if your fix holds. I have been emailing + tweeting with Evernote Support and they said that Evernote Webclipper 6.10.3 is suppose to fix this, but it didn't work for me, problem persists. :(

kristinj--sorry to report that the fix did not hold. Two hours later (after closing and opening Safari numerous times) it is requiring login again. The fact that is is same OS and Safari version is very vexing. Should be some logical reason why!!

Not a new Mac (late 2015 iMac), but a new problem as of a few weeks ago. Very annoying, and strikes several times in the same day. As with others, this is a very big problem to my workflow. Not sure what happened, although it might have started about the same time as the macOS Sierra 10.12.2 update, which diddled somewhat with Safari Extensions.

Any help from EN would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there

have the same problem   as other users - everytime I open the browser I am asked to log back into the web clipper to use it. Use newest Chrome and Windows 10 Pro.

Please fix. Worked fine for many years but since some days the login problem arrived.

this is very annoying.

Hi y'all,

If you're experiencing issues with the Evernote Web Clipper logging you out in the Safari web browser, please review the following thread:

If you're experiencing issues with the Evernote Web Clipper logging you out in the Chrome web browser, please review the following thread:

I'm going to lock this thread so we can have one centralized place for these types of posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Archived