(Archived) Always launches with a specific notebook

jmontana

For some reason, when I start Evernote, it always has a specific notebook selected. This notebook is not my default notebook. Sounds like a little thing, but it's kind of driving me nuts. I go to do a search and can't find anything, and then realize it's because it is searching in that notebook and not my default notebook. Hoping there's a fix for this!

• Level 5*

Is it the notebook that you have selected when you left Evernote? I find that Evernote retains my least search criteria when I exit and come back.

There may be a registry setting that governs this behavior, but I don't know of any.

Jeff, any idea if /NoLastState deletes the last state or just ignores it?

jmontana,

Try closing Evernote and running it with the parameter /NoLastState

You can do this by:

Win + R

paste this into the box and press Enter: evernote /NoLastState

When Evernote opens it should not have selected anything. Try closing it again and opening it normally, does it still focus on one notebook?

• Level 5*

Actually running Evernote with the /NoLastState did nothing different from running it normally, as far as I can tell. The last search filter in effect was still there on return.

Fascinating. This seems to have to do with a batch file that I'm using. I keep the Evernote db on a TrueCrypt volume.

When I run the batch file, it checks to see if the TC volume is mounted. If it is not, it mounts it, then launches Evernote:

start "Launch Evernote" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe"

If it is already mounted, it kills Evernote, then unmounts:

C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /F /im Evernote.exe

Is it possible that taskkill is not allowing Evernote to clean up properly? Even so, it's really really weird that it always defaults to that specific notebook. I've even made sure to exit Evernote cleanly (by choosing "Exit" instead of running this script) and when I open Evernote via start, it shows that notebook!

If I do all of this outside of the script, opening, quitting, etc. it seems to do what Jeff saw, remembering the last state.

• 4 months later...

Jeff, any idea if /NoLastState deletes the last state or just ignores it?

jmontana,

Try closing Evernote and running it with the parameter /NoLastState

You can do this by:

Win + R

paste this into the box and press Enter: evernote /NoLastState

When Evernote opens it should not have selected anything. Try closing it again and opening it normally, does it still focus on one notebook?

Scott, your solution worked perfectly for me. My Evernote kept opening with my Coupons notebook selected which was not useful at all when I really wanted to do a universal "All Notes" search. Now it opens with no notebooks selected, but upon entering a term in the search box, it automatically searches "All notes". Bravo! Thanks! I'll be following your posts from now on.

Archived