(Archived) Image returning 403 Forbidden

ekrubnivek

I took a few screenshots using Skitch and embedded them into a presentation. However whenever I or others go to load the presentation, I'm getting back 403 Forbidden from Evernote when trying to load the photo.

Why? I assume if I upload a photo and can access it through the web interface, I can embed it similarly into projects of mine. is there a way I can mark my images as public in evernote?

@ekrubnivek 

When you say "embed" do you mean:

a) You dragged and dropped the image from Skitch Desktop (using the Drag Me) tab into your presentation app (PowerPoint?)?

or

b ) You copied the URL of the Single Note View from your browser and added that to your presentation?

If (a) you should have no issues viewing the image as they are directly copied into the doc and have no tie to Evernote or Skitch. You should not see any errors with this method.

If (b ) then the reason you are seeing this error is you are trying to view a Personal Evernote Note inside of another doc that has not been shared. Evernote's service is blocking access because it doesn't know who is trying to access it when coming from the presentation app. You have two options to do this:

1 - From within Skitch after you have you image annotated, or re-opened from Evernote, you can do this:

13%2010:13%20AM.png

or

2) From Evernote you can do this: 

13%2010:14%20AM.png

Either method will give you the ability to share the URL with anyone and if your app supports rendering of a web page, it may render the Evernote page (the exact output is dependent upon your app). 

If you are looking to share just the image (and not the Note) then at this time there is no way to do that from Skitch for Windows Desktop or Evernote for Windows Desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

@ekrubnivek 

When you say "embed" do you mean:

a) You dragged and dropped the image from Skitch Desktop (using the Drag Me) tab into your presentation app (PowerPoint?)?

or

b ) You copied the URL of the Single Note View from your browser and added that to your presentation?

I mean I copied the URL of the image directly into my presentation (a webpage). In other circles this is known as "hotlinking". This is something I've done often with Skitch, without any problems. It's one of the most valuable parts of the app for me - one click and I get an image URL I can embed anywhere.

If (a) you should have no issues viewing the image as they are directly copied into the doc and have no tie to Evernote or Skitch. You should not see any errors with this method.

Agreed, but then I have to find some place to host my own images, which is not nearly as simple as using Skitch.

If (b ) then the reason you are seeing this error is you are trying to view a Personal Evernote Note inside of another doc that has not been shared. Evernote's service is blocking access because it doesn't know who is trying to access it when coming from the presentation app. You have two options to do this:

1 - From within Skitch after you have you image annotated, or re-opened from Evernote, you can do this:

13%2010:13%20AM.png

or

2) From Evernote you can do this: 

13%2010:14%20AM.png

Either method will give you the ability to share the URL with anyone and if your app supports rendering of a web page, it may render the Evernote page (the exact output is dependent upon your app). 

I am talking about the image URL directly. Evernote is trying to do some shady thing to allow people to view images if they're viewing them in the context of an Evernote note, but not if they're viewing the raw image. 

As far as I can tell, anyone can view the raw image link (the one ending in skitch.png) for a week or so, after which time Evernote starts returning 403 Forbidden when you try to access it while not within an Evernote page. This seems like a bad thing to do on the Internet - either authenticate the user with cookies or return the image with every request, don't try to guess based on the Referer and some other ***** in the headers.

Viewing it in the context of the webpage is useless at this time. 

• 2 weeks later...

@ekrubnivek

Apologies for not responding sooner, I check the forums as often as a I can, but there are times when I am delayed and or miss a post. The best solution for logging your concern is to use our Customer Service support services which can be found here: http://evernote.com/contact/support/#/product/evernote

That said I'm not sure what is causing your issue. Evernote does not do anything to your links once you set them to public sharing. If you have created a Skitch Note and then selected to copy the public link and shared that, then any browser on a network where you are permitted to browser Evernote.com URLs should display your note without issue.

If you are on a corporate network, you may be behind content filters as well as proxies which limit the kinds of sites you can access. Likewise if you have connectivity or browser issues those too may be causing problems loading the URLs. 

Skitch for Windows Desktop does not currently have the ability to deep link to an image hosted on Evernote. Only our Mac client can currently do that. It is a feature we've got planned for the Windows Desktop version, but it is in the works. The two images above from my post are examples of that. 

If you have access to a Mac then the Skitch version there can give you a valid direct link to an image. On the Windows version you are currently restricted to the Note version.

Archived