Nice to see Skitch back on the path to awesomeness!

Extropy

Idea

The latest update with PDF annotation is brilliant.

I had fallen out of love with Skitch for a while because of some bumps in the road with recent updates, but this last update has brought me back. The implementation of PDF annotations makes it very simple to skip through a document, throwing red X's, check marks, question marks, etc. where needed. I only have to stop and mess with the GUI for more complicated comments, most of which I can do on the second pass. Very intuitive and natural to use.

Well done!

6 replies to this idea

@Extropy - Thanks for the kind words. As you continue to use the PDF function please feel free to share your feedback with us. This is our first step into that arena and we want to continue to improve over time. 

There seems to be a serious problem with Skitch on iOS and the PDF functionality: If you open a PDF from Evernote in Skitch, annotate something, save it and switch back to Evernote, there will be two new documents in the Skitch notebook. If you switch back to Skitch, these two documents are shown additional to the already created one, so you have three files in the Skitch notebook. Another switch to Evernote again creates new copies and so on. You have to delete all copies in Evernote to stop this loop madness.

But even if the new PDF functionality would work (I am just speaking of iOS, I don't use it on any other systems), the whole workflow is very cumbersome. An annotated PDF should stay at its position (Evernote notebook) and not be copied to a special notebook (Skitch). I don't mind switching apps for annotating, but this should be seamlessly without working with different copies and notebooks. It still seems to be a long way to a real integration of Skitch (and Penultimate) in the Evernote experience.

@gewappnet

There seems to be a serious problem with Skitch on iOS and the PDF functionality: If you open a PDF from Evernote in Skitch, annotate something, save it and switch back to Evernote, there will be two new documents in the Skitch notebook. If you switch back to Skitch, these two documents are shown additional to the already created one, so you have three files in the Skitch notebook. Another switch to Evernote again creates new copies and so on. You have to delete all copies in Evernote to stop this loop madness.

This sounds like you're running into a sync bug. Can you send me your activity log to me in a private message? This may help us diagnose the problem. See the image below for directions:

Photo%20Skitch%20Document.png

An annotated PDF should stay at its position (Evernote notebook) and not be copied to a special notebook (Skitch). I don't mind switching apps for annotating, but this should be seamlessly without working with different copies and notebooks.

This is by design because we do not wish to alter your existing PDF. Skitch creates a separate PDF because in our testing and research we found most users did not want us to be destructive to the original PDF. That said we are actively looking into tighter integration between Evernote and Skitch in order to create a more seamless annotation experience. 

As I said, I use this in iOS only (iPad). And I really think this behavior is related to the buggy iOS versions of Evernote and Skitch. Did you reproduce what I described EXACTLY on an iPad? I am pretty sure this always happens for everyone with this configuration and the current app versions.

@gewappnet

This sounds like you're running into a sync bug. Can you send me your activity log to me in a private message? This may help us diagnose the problem. See the image below for directions:

@gewappnet - Apologies about the wrong screenshot, I grabbed the wrong link. The image has been updated to indicate where to find the activity log on iOS.

Yes, both I and QA tested the exact same flow as you described, and have not seen seen this issue. Your activity log may help us track down the problem you're seeing.

I just tested both iPhone and iPad and in both cases I opened up a PDF from Evernote into Skitch and annotated and saved the annotated Skitch PDF. In both cases I have 2 PDFs in my account: The original PDF as an Evernote Note; and the Annotated Skitch PDF Note. This is exactly how the app is designed to work.

@gewappnet - Apologies about the wrong screenshot, I grabbed the wrong link. The image has been updated to indicate where to find the activity log on iOS.

I sent you a private message with activity log and a link to a demo file. The bug seems to be related to the kind of PDF file (size? complexity?).

Archived