Note count is different on different clients

I'm using Evernote on my iPad, iPhone and Mac. On the iPad and Mac, and also on the web client, I have a notebook showing that it contains 3 notes. The iPhone client shows that the same notebook only contains 1 note. When I open the notebook on the iPhone, I can see all 3 notes, even though it says it only contains 1. All clients are successfully synced. There are no pending syncs. Does anyone know how to get the iPhone to show the correct note count?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Level 5*

Is this still a known problem? I have a notebook (my default notebook) that shows 10 notes in the counter in the left panel on the web, but on the other clients (Win 7, iPhone, WinPhone 8.0, Android (Kindle Fire 1st edition)), and when I click on the notebook on the web, it shows correctly as 2 notes. On a couple of the clients I found notes that I could not see on the desktop version, but after searching on the desktop version I had them elsewhere. Now mostly clean, apart from the 8 ghost notes on the web version. Also, in my Activity Log I have a line that says "0% Retrieving missing search text for 7 resources". Related? Totally different problem? Time for support? It is a long weekend, so I am expecting an answer quicker here ...

Is this still a known problem? I have a notebook (my default notebook) that shows 10 notes in the counter in the left panel on the web, but on the other clients (Win 7, iPhone, WinPhone 8.0, Android (Kindle Fire 1st edition)), and when I click on the notebook on the web, it shows correctly as 2 notes. On a couple of the clients I found notes that I could not see on the desktop version, but after searching on the desktop version I had them elsewhere. Now mostly clean, apart from the 8 ghost notes on the web version. Also, in my Activity Log I have a line that says "0% Retrieving missing search text for 7 resources". Related? Totally different problem? Time for support? It is a long weekend, so I am expecting an answer quicker here ...

Last I knew (a couple of months ago), note counts differed between clients if you have notebooks shared to you. Impossible to get matching note counts unless you unjoined all shared notebooks.

• Level 5*

No notebooks shared to me.  A month ago my note counts were off by a couple in my primary notebook.  Interesting thing was that on the web the note count by the stack was different than the note count in the bottom right x of y notes, which makes no sense all things being equal.  So I actually had 2 different counts on the web.  I have had the same issue off and on as long as I have been using EN.  Once I used temporary tags to identify the notes, modify them, and then they synced, PITA.

Today everything matches.  Full disclosure, I did do a rebuild a couple of weeks ago.  FWIW.   

• 1 year later...

I have 2 different versions running on Windows and they have the same note count (3291), but on iOS and Web I have a different one (3220). I rarely use one of those windows clients, it's notebook I use every 6 months or so, so I did not open any shared notes on it and still it has the very same note count I see in the one I use every day, but on iOS the note count is very different, so what's happening here? Are my notes safe? This is something Evernote could never really fix, or make right. In the past I opened many tickets to complain about my note count and lost notes. At least 5 or 6 years having the same problems.

• Level 5*

I assume if you have any local notebooks your aren't including those notes counts.

Depending upon how many notebooks you have there is a way to find and fix the issue.  

1. On the PC, pick a notebook with a difference that has the fewest notes and add a dummy tag to those notes, Dummy lets say.  Then sync.
  2. Depending upon which count is higher
    1. If the web count is higher than the PC count do a -tag:Dummy search on the web and you should see the notes on the web not on the PC.  You may want to check to see if any of the notes are on the PC just in a different notebook.  Add the Dummy tag to the "extra" notes on the web, sync again on the PC and the counts should match.
    2. If the PC count is higher than the web count, check if adding the tag forced the sync of any notes and changed the count on the web.  If the tag counts aren't the same yet, delete the Dummy tag on the web and sync.  Do a tag:Dummy search on the PC and you should see the notes on the PC not on the Web.  Again, check the web to be sure the notes aren't in a different notebook.  Edit the "extra" notes in some way (add xxx's to the title) and sync.  The totals should now match.
  3. Repeat for other notebooks.  I recommend starting with a small notebook since it can take a while to sync if you add a tag to 1000's of notes.
  4. Delete the Dummy tag at the end.

Since you've had the issue for a while, hopefully whatever issue with EN caused the problem is gone and your notebooks will stay in sync.

Archived