SUGGESTION: Should not clear search criteria when changing notebooks

aaronster

When I type into the search field, sometimes I do so before selecting the proper notebook. This means no results are returned. So then I click the correct notebook but, to my dismay, my search criteria is gone and I have to type it again. 

Please fix - please keep my search criteria in the box!

Regards,

Aaron

post-71286-0-27634700-1366378229_thumb.j

• Level 5*

The way to change notebooks while keeping the same search expression in the Windows client is to first expose the search explanation panel (a useful bit of information generally): View / Show Search Explanation, or Ctrl + F10. That panel opens up underneath the search control, and contains a notebook dropdown. If you use that notebook selector, then the current search expression (except for any notebook: term) will be retained.

As far as I understand it, the left panel selection mechanism is meant to be a quick way to get a new search. Selecting a notebook will give a new empty search on that notebook; subsequent selections in the tag tree and/or Attribute tree will add one of those terms to the notebook term (you can multi-select in the tag tree and attribute tree).

I also think the search function is screwed up. Given the following scenario:

I search for a tag that shows me a bunch of notes scattered among many notebooks.

Then if  I want to narrow down all notes shown to those containing a particular word, I clic on the search bar and as soon as I do so all previous criteria are lost.

I thinks this was working OK before, but now is gone.

I think evernote is such a great product but then it has this problems dealing with searchs, which should be fixed ASAP. It is nonsense to use a service like this that does not have a powerful search engine.

• Level 5*

I search for a tag that shows me a bunch of notes scattered among many notebooks.

Then if  I want to narrow down all notes shown to those containing a particular word, I clic on the search bar and as soon as I do so all previous criteria are lost.

Can't replicate this in the current prerelease (4.6.5.8275). Which release are you using?

I am on version 4.6.5.8275 (267883) Prerelease, which was provided to me from support when trying to fix this problem.

Are you sure you tested exactly as I did?

I just installed Evernote on a second computer, a laptop with Windows XP and set up my account and still the same problem. Version 4.6.4.8136 (268644) Public.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Are you sure you tested exactly as I did?

What is the "search bar"? Are you referring to the search control where you can enter search terms, directly above the note list? IF so, then yes, I did test this exactly -- in fact, I use this scenario a lot, and would have noticed if it wasn't working.
  • Level 5*

OK, there's the difference -- thanks for clarifying this. I was using the tag tree in the left panel to select a tag filter (rather than the tag list in the Favorites bar), and then I could type freely in the search control. I don't know why your case would be handled differently; it might be a design decision, but it feels like a bug. I would open a support request -- see the link in my signature.

Good to know.

I can not use the tag tree in the left because I handle so many tags and so many notes... it is not very friendly.

I have a Mac at home and the Mac version is so much better. It will only show me the tags that are present in the notes sub-set instead of all of them.

I did open a support request but I got no response. I'll  try again. Thank you.

• Level 5*

I can not use the tag tree in the left because I handle so many tags and so many notes... it is not very friendly.

I have a Mac at home and the Mac version is so much better. It will only show me the tags that are present in the notes sub-set instead of all of them.

On the Windows client, right-click on top level entry in the tag tree, and select "Hide unassigned tags". This should narrow things down when you've selected a notebook previously.

I did open a support request but I got no response. I'll  try again. Thank you.

You should receive an email from them within 24 hours, I think, at the email address that you used when you signed up; if you don't, then check your spam folder.
  • Level 5*

@dlu:

Make sure that there a Tags control on the Favorites bar.

Clear your search filter via F6.

Select a tag from the Tags control on the Favorites bar. Notice that the note list filters on that tag.

Now click in the search control. Notice that the tag that you just selected is removed from the search filter.

They just let me know from evernote support that this behavior is by design. I do not like this, not at all.

I already have more than 2,000 notes scattered along 20 or so notebooks and more than 50 tags. If my notes are supposed to be growing in number as time passes they need implement a fast and efficient way to look for notes.

• Level 5*

I don't think that this is good design at all, unless they were going for user surprise as a criterion. Setting a tag is a simple action that affects the search criteria. If I then want to modify that search criteria afterwards, then it shouldn't matter whether I set it via clicking on a tag in the Favorites tag list, a tag in the tag list in the left panel, by typing it in manually or having activated it via a saved search: it should act the same thereafter, and the fact that it doesn't means that somehow they need to save state about how the search criteria were set, which seems pointless and brittle. It's fine if you want to modify behavior of direct manipulation of controls (Favorites tag list, left panel tag tree), but having prior choice modify subsequent behavior of a different control (particularly without any indication of special state, which would still be a weak choice) is spooky action at a distance.

Archived