(Archived) how to share a single note to specific people

Hey,

When I want to share a lot of notes with others, I can simply creat a notebook and start to sharing.

But sometimes I just have one note that have to share with some people, I have to either creat a notebook for this single note or share it to public.

And somethimes I want to save a note in one of my own notebook and keep the other notes in this notebook in privite.

Would you guys face any above situations ever?

So... any better suggestions for that?

Thanks a lot! :lol:

• Level 5*

You don't say which client you're using,  and the features are a little different depending which it is;  but you can email a note directly to someone,  you can share it with them specifically,  or the world at large.  In each case you don't have to move it to a special notebook,  just share the note.

You can also share a notebook with an individual or a group,  so that someone can see all the notes in there.

You don't have to use a separate notebook unless you're sharing all the notes in it - but you probably want to keep a note of all your shared pages just in case..  so you could tag everything with 'shared',  or put them into another notebook for shared items - unless as mentioned you already have it in a notebook for sharing a number of notes to that individual or group.

In no case however can you keep two copies of a note - unless you're happy that the two copies are completely separate and updating one will not automatically update the other unless you use copy/ paste to do so.

You don't have to use a separate notebook unless you're sharing all the notes in it - but you probably want to keep a note of all your shared pages just in case..  so you could tag everything with 'shared',

Searching on sharedate:* gives you all the notes you've shared.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't say which client you're using,  and the features are a little different depending which it is;  but you can email a note directly to someone,  you can share it with them specifically,  or the world at large.  In each case you don't have to move it to a special notebook,  just share the note.

You can also share a notebook with an individual or a group,  so that someone can see all the notes in there.

You don't have to use a separate notebook unless you're sharing all the notes in it - but you probably want to keep a note of all your shared pages just in case..  so you could tag everything with 'shared',  or put them into another notebook for shared items - unless as mentioned you already have it in a notebook for sharing a number of notes to that individual or group.

In no case however can you keep two copies of a note - unless you're happy that the two copies are completely separate and updating one will not automatically update the other unless you use copy/ paste to do so.

Thanks, gazumped

I mean when I want to share one single note to someone and keep it updated, I have to share it to the world, I haven't saw any "share to someone" option for one note(I don't mean just send this note to someone), not a notebook, I'm sure I can do that to a notebook, but why cannot a note be shared to someone, not the world?

I am not sure if you can understand, I don't mean just send the note by email, but to creat a note and keep it updated, just like a web page, but people who is being shared can also add it to their evernote just like a shared notebook but only have this one note.

• Level 5*

Thanks, gazumped

I mean when I want to share one single note to someone and keep it updated, I have to share it to the world, I haven't saw any "share to someone" option for one note(I don't mean just send this note to someone), not a notebook, I'm sure I can do that to a notebook, but why cannot a note be shared to someone, not the world?

I am not sure if you can understand, I don't mean just send the note by email, but to creat a note and keep it updated, just like a web page, but people who is being shared can also add it to their evernote just like a shared notebook but only have this one note.

OK I got the request,  but Evernote simply doesn't do what you want.  I was explaining what's possible.  I don't see any way for Evernote to allow users to keep unattached notes that have been shared from elsewhere when users can't keep their own notes anywhere except in a notebook.

Thanks, gazumped

OK I got the request,  but Evernote simply doesn't do what you want.  I was explaining what's possible.  I don't see any way for Evernote to allow users to keep unattached notes that have been shared from elsewhere when users can't keep their own notes anywhere except in a notebook.

Thanks, I find it useful sometimes. Now I can only open a shared notebook for just this one note. I don't know what is the difference between share a notebook and share a note to someone, there may be a tech. problem here? But it is much better if Evernote can do both.

I was just searching for the same capability. Based on the topic (for example planning a graduation), a single note might be shared with a few Evernote users, but it does not warrant setting up a unique notebook.  Document (or note level) shares is something Google docs does well, and Evernote leaves unaddressed. I would imagine a solution where a note could inherent the notebooks share, and then supplemental shares for a note could be added on.  

• Level 5*

Well,  as we always say;  the developers read these pages for ideas,  so maybe note level specific shares will come along someday.  You can quite easily share a note - just circulate the URL to the folks you want to contact.  After a decent interval,  delete the note or (maybe*) move it into a different notebook.  The URL disappears or changes and the shares stop. 

There's a security risk - any of your shares can circulate the URL to all of their friends too,  and anyone can have access.  The extra level of protection that only the chosen few can see the note(s) involves sharing a notebook.  Which may contain one note.  It just has better controls.

* By which I mean "I think I know this - but use at your own risk (and test it yourself first!)."

• 6 months later...

I agree. The ability to share (and continue to collaborate on) a specific note within a user's notebook is a key feature that Evernote is overlooking and should provide, even if only for Premium subscribers. @BobWenzlau has a valid point that GoogleDocs allows a similar function (without a subscription) as a standard feature. I hope the developers see this and consider adding this feature soon.

• Level 5*

"Evernote is overlooking and should provide" ?  I believe it's their product and their development schedule so what Evernote want to provide we'll duly find out about in the next releases..  and GoogleDocs is an unrelated service that offers completely different features.  Have a look at Evernote's App Store and LiveMinutes...

Archived