Why do shapes have a minimum size?

nwinkler

Idea

I'm wondering why shapes automatically increase their size to a minimum after drawing them. It's really awkward, the previous version (1.x) of Skitch didn't do this.

Let's say I've taken a screenshot of a web page that I want to annotate, I want to draw a red rectangle around radio button option that I want to highlight. So I select the red color, change the pen size to the smallest setting and then select the rectangle shape drawing tool. I draw the rectangle so that it's just high enough to cover the one line of text that I want to mark. Once I let go of the the mouse, the rectangle's height increases to a minimum size, now covering more like two lines of text. That's really annoying, there doesn't seem to be a way to change it back to small size that I wanted to have originally.

The same happens also with the circle tool. Try to draw a really tiny circle, and you will see that it automatically increases to a minimum size. Trying to resize it will not let you go beyond a certain threshold.

Could you please bring back the option to let me draw tiny shapes?

I've attached an image that shows the minimum size for each shape - I can't find a way to either draw or resize them in a smaller way.

post-131703-0-67600900-1366296396_thumb.

6 replies to this idea

@rwinkler - This was a design decision made to keep iOS and Mac clients in line. There are usability issues if there are no min sizes on iOS (basically has to be as big as your fing tip, else they become unusable). We're revisiting this decision and may separate touch devices from desktops and allow for no minimal sizes. 

No promises on when we'll get this tin, but it is on our list of things to investigate. 

Why do all the versions of skitch have to be exactly the same? It seems like you're only making it worse.

My main complaint is the number of clicks it takes to do anything in the new version: why do you have to change menus all the time, or confirm the screenshot? Is that something to do with making sure it works on Windows 3.11?

I 2nd the request for minimal sizes. I quite often highlight text by putting it in a box and with the minimal size as big as it is the box encroaches on the text above or below the line being boxed.

Given that desktops are likely to always have big screens and iOS devices are likely to remain small it seems that desktop users are being deprived. There is a reason some of us prefer big screens, eyesight issues being just one.

I 2nd the request for minimal sizes. I quite often highlight text by putting it in a box and with the minimal size as big as it is the box encroaches on the text above or below the line being boxed.

That's exactly the issue I'm having - I frequently use the box to mark a line of text in a screenshot, and the forced minimum size expands into the second line of text in most cases - really annoying.

I hope this gets resolved soon - it worked so much better in the old version of Skitch. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the new functionality, but a couple of the features have really degraded and become less intuitive, which is a pity for a product that had a great future like Skitch.

I too would like this resolved as soon as possible. I use Skitch to annotate and elucidate on screenshots.

Due to this min. dimensions issue, rectangles often encroach on and obscure other aspects.

If I can't draw the box to the exact size I need, it defeats the whole purpose of using Skitch as a markup tool.

Yet another stupid decision by Evernote's incompetent designers. I'll just go back to Skitch 1 then — good thing I kept a copy (somehow I knew Evernote would mess it up after the acquisition).

It's face-smackingly insane that anyone would even have to ask for a "feature" in a drawing app that lets you draw whatever damn size boxes you want.

Archived