(Archived) Won't let me log in. My data now inaccessible.

lmg52

Idea

I have been using Evernote for most of my notetaking for a couple of years now, and have never had this issue.  All of my notes are stored locally.  

A few minutes ago, I tried to quit after using Evernote all morning and an error message appeared that my password was incorrect.  I force-quit and when I tried to restart, it asked for my login and password.  I re-entered these (from my password storage program) and Evernote rejected them.  I restarted the machine and repeated, same results from Evernote.  When I clicked on "lost password", Evernote responded that it would email me a new password; I've received nothing from Evernote.  

This is really unbelievable.  I have hundreds of hours of work on my Mac which I can't access now.  I just want to know whether there is a way to take the Evernote data files on my hard disk and convert them to a format that another application can display.  

I even had to register for a new account in order to just post this query.  Just unbelievable.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

One thing: did you reset your password after Evernote was hacked (about a month or so ago)? Have you changed your email since when you registered for Evernote?

You most likely need to open a support request. See the link in my signature.

I have been using Evernote for most of my notetaking for a couple of years now, and have never had this issue.  All of my notes are stored locally.  

A few minutes ago, I tried to quit after using Evernote all morning and an error message appeared that my password was incorrect.  I force-quit and when I tried to restart, it asked for my login and password.  I re-entered these (from my password storage program) and Evernote rejected them.  I restarted the machine and repeated, same results from Evernote.  When I clicked on "lost password", Evernote responded that it would email me a new password; I've received nothing from Evernote.  

This is really unbelievable.  I have hundreds of hours of work on my Mac which I can't access now.  I just want to know whether there is a way to take the Evernote data files on my hard disk and convert them to a format that another application can display.  

I even had to register for a new account in order to just post this query.  Just unbelievable.

It sounds like either the password request info went to your spam/junk folder (did you check?) or is going to a different (older?) email address. 

If you want to move from Evernote, you will need to gain access to your account by providing correct login credentials.  Then you can export all your notes to html. 

Thanks for the responses.  BurgersNFries is right: the password reset email was sent to an account I cannot access from work (i.e., it's blocked).  I reset the password and was able to access my notes.

I'm curious about Jeff's comment that "Evernote was hacked (about a month or so ago)".  This is the first time I've reset my password since I've installed Evernote, and I've been using it almost every day during the last month without any problems.  (I have notes dating back to 2009, so apparently have been using it at least 4 years.)   Due to security policies at my workplace, I've set all of my work notebooks so that they don't replicate to Evernote's servers.  I can understand that logging in is necessary for accessing files in the cloud, but I don't understand why logging in is required to access local files.  I guess that given Evernote's business model, it's important to encourage sync'ing, but doesn't it go against the principle of backing up and maintaining duplicate files if access to the files on my hard disk is dependent on the integrity of a password database on an Evernote server?

Thanks for the responses.  BurgersNFries is right: the password reset email was sent to an account I cannot access from work (i.e., it's blocked).  I reset the password and was able to access my notes.

I'm curious about Jeff's comment that "Evernote was hacked (about a month or so ago)".  This is the first time I've reset my password since I've installed Evernote, and I've been using it almost every day during the last month without any problems.  (I have notes dating back to 2009, so apparently have been using it at least 4 years.)   Due to security policies at my workplace, I've set all of my work notebooks so that they don't replicate to Evernote's servers.  I can understand that logging in is necessary for accessing files in the cloud, but I don't understand why logging in is required to access local files.  I guess that given Evernote's business model, it's important to encourage sync'ing, but doesn't it go against the principle of backing up and maintaining duplicate files if access to the files on my hard disk is dependent on the integrity of a password database on an Evernote server?

I don't know that EN was truly hacked.  I don't know that it wasn't.  AFAIK, they've not published info on this.  What I do know is there was a hack attempt.  So being proactive, they forced all users to change passwords.  (By all reports, everything they did was the "right thing".)  Since you do not put notes in the cloud, you may have your sync settings set to manual/not at all.  It may well be that your cycle to sync only manifested itself recently.  Although you only use local/non-synced notebooks, EN is a cloud app.  That can be used as a local app (as you know).  I've been using EN (the cloud service) since it's beta days back in April 2008.  And they do require at least one cloud/sync'd notebook (initially I just had a couple of bogus notes in it).  So I guess that's why they require that you have a cloud account before you are able to use it...even if you only use it for local/non-sync'd notebooks.  Other reasons are that by having a cloud account, you can email stuff to Evernote, auto forward emails, do IFTTT stuff, web clippings, etc.  All/most of those things require integration to the cloud.  But if you choose to not utilize the cloud, you can certainly work it. 

Archived