Hit Enter = Font Change?

brian_powell

• Level 5

Hi and welcome to the forums !

It helps if you tell us what platfom you are on. I cannot reproduce this neither on WIN nor MAC.

What exactly are you doing/is happening when you see this behavior?

I am on Windows 7 using Evernote 4.6.3.8096.

The video pretty much shows it all.  I have copied and pasted some information from another site.  When I go to the end of a paragraph and hit enter it changes the font size of the preceding paragraph.

• Level 5*

That would be coding embedded from the first clip.  Try right-clicking in the body of the note and choose Simplify Formatting (or hit Ctrl+space) to dump some of the layout code.  Then type.  If that doesn't work try typing your comment somewhere else in the note and then paste it into the text at the correct point.

• Level 5*

It happens to me on occasion using the Mac. I think it has something to do with the fonts / sizes getting inherited and messed up in the process. My solution is to go a step further than Gaz and use "make plain text" (I am not sure if this is on Windows yet). Then, you have no layout issues.

• Level 5*

It happens to me on occasion using the Mac. I think it has something to do with the fonts / sizes getting inherited and messed up in the process. My solution is to go a step further than Gaz and use "make plain text" (I am not sure if this is on Windows yet). Then, you have no layout issues.

Unless you want to use tabs for formatting. :)

• Level 5*

Unless you want to use tabs for formatting. :)
Tabs work fine. They survive "make plain text." However, they do not translate properly to markdown outside of Evernote (in my experience), so it is a quandary [EDIT: I should have said that I work mainly on iOS, and Tabs do not work correctly there -- they work fine on the Mac when copy/pasting from a note (use FormatMatch) into a text editor for use with markdown]. I love the Mac indent, but it does not survive "make plain text" (unless added afterwards).
  • Level 5*

My understanding and experience in the Windows client has been that tabs don't work well for formatting in Evernote; they get turned into some number of space characters, and don't survive thereafter. If you do Paste as Text on tab-formatted text, like a code snippet, the tabs just disappear, and you lose the formatting altogether. Maybe it's different in the Mac client?

• Level 5*

My understanding and experience in the Windows client has been that tabs don't work well for formatting in Evernote; they get turned into some number of space characters, and don't survive thereafter. If you do Paste as Text on tab-formatted text, like a code snippet, the tabs just disappear, and you lose the formatting altogether. Maybe it's different in the Mac client?

Maybe... My experience is not especially good with formatting, and it is a headache if I think too much about it! Basically, though, if I turn on FormatMatch when copy/pasting in/out of Evernote on the Mac, then it all works fine. Of course, exporting as HTML and turning a note into .txt works as well.

For example, the following text works OK. The first one is made with a tab. The second one is made with four spaces. In markdown, they both work fine, creating an indented list as they should. I don't know if this would work the same on Windows. Unfortunately, I can say that iOS doesn't work as expected, and for that environment I have to use four spaces instead of a Tab. It is frustrating.

# This is a test.
- this is a test 01
     - so is this 02

# This is a test.
- this is a test 01
    - so is this 02
  • Level 5*

It doesn't work the same way in Windows. It's not a huge deal for me, since I don't use Evernote to store code snippets generally, but I know that some folks would really like to, but cannot in any convenient fashion.

• Level 5*

It doesn't work the same way in Windows. It's not a huge deal for me, since I don't use Evernote to store code snippets generally, but I know that some folks would really like to, but cannot in any convenient fashion.

Ugh. That is too bad. I usually just view my notes on Android, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a difference there as well. I already have some trouble going from Mac to iPad (I keep forgetting not to use the tab key). I'd hate to be going from Windows, to Mac, to the iPad / Android! Then again, maybe once Windows gets "make plain text" (do they have it yet?) things will change.

• Level 5*

Windows client has "Simplify Formatting" and "Remove Formatting" -- I'm not sure if these are the same operations (similar terminology for similar functionality would usually be considered to be A Good Thing).

• Level 5*

Windows client has "Simplify Formatting" and "Remove Formatting" -- I'm not sure if these are the same operations (similar terminology for similar functionality would usually be considered to be A Good Thing).

No. I don't think so. In the last podcast they said that plain text would be coming to all of the clients. For the moment, it is only on Mac and iOS (as far as I know). It does exactly what it says by not just simplifying formatting, but removing all of it (how sill this differ from "remove formatting"?). Of course, it isn't "real" plain text, but it is close enough for my use case. Maybe, the next big Windows makeover (any day now?) will bring it to the Windows folks. 

• Level 5*

I'd need to go back and examine the ENEX files generated by these operations to figure it out for sure.

If plain text is coming, it's the kind of targeted fix I wouldn't mind having in the current Windows client; not sure how I feel about big revamps of the current UI. Of course, it will need to have reminders and highlighting as well, right?

• Level 5*

I'd need to go back and examine the ENEX files generated by these operations to figure it out for sure.

If plain text is coming, it's the kind of targeted fix I wouldn't mind having in the current Windows client; not sure how I feel about big revamps of the current UI. Of course, it will need to have reminders and highlighting as well, right?

And Shortcuts. And nabs in the sidebar. Don't forget about gray. Lots of gray! And, I think you guys are still without an Atlas or Premium section. Recent notes and related notes too. I suppose there is probably a lot more. A big update is surely on the way :)

• Level 5*

Shortcuts, yep, that'd be good, since we have them in Android now.

We have a Premium section in the sidebar, not sure if it's what you're referring to. I have mine turned off, as it doesn't seem to be offering me anything but information that I already know.

At this stage, I could generally do with less gray, not more. :)

• Level 5*

Shortcuts, yep, that'd be good, since we have them in Android now.

We have a Premium section in the sidebar, not sure if it's what you're referring to. I have mine turned off, as it doesn't seem to be offering me anything but information that I already know.

At this stage, I could generally do with less gray, not more. :)

You'll learn to embrace the cold, gray landscape that is your elephant soul. Elephants aren't known for their bright colors, and neither will your Evernote account! I jest, but I am actually OK with gray. It is the gray on gray that irks me. The Shortcuts are really nice, as are the related notes, and the recent notes. All good stuff. I'll be interested to see how plain text plays out on Windows. 

• 6 months later...

Archived