Evernote Can't Sync b/c "Internet Explorer is in Offline Mode"

I can't get my Evernote app on my Windows 7 PC to sync. Sync fails because it says that Internet Explore is in Offline Mode. I don't use IE often and wasn't able to find how to get it in online mode--whatever the heck that is. So I uninstalled IE from my computer since I don't use it. Still not able to sync in Evernote and still get that message about beign uable to sync b/c IE is in offline mode. Evernote without synchronization is worthless, so I'd really appreciate any help any of you Evernote geniuses could give me. Thanks.

I can't get my Evernote app on my Windows 7 PC to sync. Sync fails because it says that Internet Explore is in Offline Mode. I don't use IE often and wasn't able to find how to get it in online mode--whatever the heck that is. So I uninstalled IE from my computer since I don't use it. Still not able to sync in Evernote and still get that message about beign uable to sync b/c IE is in offline mode. Evernote without synchronization is worthless, so I'd really appreciate any help any of you Evernote geniuses could give me. Thanks.

You will probably need to reinstall IE & uncheck offline mode. I'm not at a PC right now but Googling Internet explorer offline mode should lead you to posts showing where the option is. Seems like it might be in the file menu, but I'm not sure.
  • 3 weeks later...

I understand why IE goes into offline mode automatically and it's actually quite smart on Microsoft's part because spyware will use IE in the background regardless of which browser you do or do not use. However, I don't think it is smart at all for Evernote to rely on IE to sync. I don't use it, but I wonder how Kaspersky would identify Evernote in that regard. In my opinion things that depend on a background IE connection is potential spyware.

There is no way for me to make IE start in online mode default, I've inspected the registry and it's already set to start online as default yet Evernote reports otherwise. Certainly Evernote developers are working on a way around this...

I have this same problem, but it just started yesterday. All other applications that use the network are just fine including Outlook, Skype, Chrome, etc. Just Evernote is failing. I've turned on and off the firewall, and no change. I am using Internet Explorer 10 and there is no "Offline Mode" or not checkbox anywhere.  This is looking a lot like another Evernote bug, which is really disappointing because I just had to do a clean install to get to version 3.6.4, and now this...

If anyone has a workaround, or better yet can show me that it's not an Evernote bug, I would be exceedingly grateful.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem, and also have IE 10 (but never use it) so I tried just having internet explorer open and that was enough - it synced. So just having it open seemed to make it work.  The problem so far, hasn't recurred.  

• 3 weeks later...

The necessity for opening Internet Explorer which many Evernote users do not use and unchecking the Work offline option is very tiresome to say the least.

Evernote, please don't involve a third party browser to facilitate possibly the most vital function of the program - syncing. (I don't use Explorer I use Chrome.)

If anyone agrees with me please copy and repost this.

I had the same problem, and also have IE 10 (but never use it) so I tried just having internet explorer open and that was enough - it synced. So just having it open seemed to make it work.  The problem so far, hasn't recurred.  

I thought the same thing but IE seems to want to revert to having work off-line checked. Time for a friendly video please Evernote explaining 1) why you do this and 2) a work around the problem that does not involve continually opening up a browser many users do not use and unchecking the work offline option.

The necessity for opening Internet Explorer which many Evernote users do not use and unchecking the Work offline option is very tiresome to say the least.

Evernote, please don't involve a third party browser to facilitate possibly the most vital function of the program - syncing. (I don't use Explorer I use Chrome.)

If anyone agrees with me please copy and repost this.

I thought the same thing but IE seems to want to revert to having work off-line checked. Time for a friendly video please Evernote explaining 1) why you do this and 2) a work around the problem that does not involve continually opening up a browser many users do not use and unchecking the work offline option.

The search function is your friend. For starters:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/30103-evernote-pcs-reliance-on-internet-explorer-unnecessary-security-risk/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/27219-not-using-internet-explorer-so-how-do-i-sync/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23453-cant-sync/

• 5 months later...

Sorry Burgers, but none of the links you posted answers the questions asked:  1) why you do this and 2) a work around the problem that does not involve continually opening up a browser many users do not use and unchecking the work offline option.

Evernote is the only application on my machine that has this dependency and it is a huge pain in the butt.  I realize that nobody at EN uses windows on a laptop so they don't ever test this functionality or care, but for anyone who is constantly carrying a laptop around going on and off networks, IE will immediately disconnect you when you leave a network and will not reconnect automatically (unlike all other 21st century internet programs).  Even if IE is not running, you have this problem.  So every time you take your laptop and leave a network, EN will start generating sync errors until you find IE, open it up, and set it to online mode manually.  So unlike any other app, just syncing EN requires launching a different program every time you move your computer from place to place (which for many of us is 5-10 times a day).  There is no reason for this except for exceptionally lazy programming.

Sorry Burgers, but none of the links you posted answers the questions asked:  1) why you do this and 2) a work around the problem that does not involve continually opening up a browser many users do not use and unchecking the work offline option.

Evernote is the only application on my machine that has this dependency and it is a huge pain in the butt.  I realize that nobody at EN uses windows on a laptop so they don't ever test this functionality or care, but for anyone who is constantly carrying a laptop around going on and off networks, IE will immediately disconnect you when you leave a network and will not reconnect automatically (unlike all other 21st century internet programs).  Even if IE is not running, you have this problem.  So every time you take your laptop and leave a network, EN will start generating sync errors until you find IE, open it up, and set it to online mode manually.  So unlike any other app, just syncing EN requires launching a different program every time you move your computer from place to place (which for many of us is 5-10 times a day).  There is no reason for this except for exceptionally lazy programming.

It appears the first link is bad...not sure what happened there but I'm guessing the thread I linked to was subsequently merged with another one.  The other two discuss this topic.

I don't know what you mean about "why I do this."  I don't work for Evernote.

• 2 months later...

BnF, my reference to "Why you do this" was to evernote: why does evernote do this?  I'm sorry if the pronoun was unclear.

More importantly, as I mentioned, none of the links you posted address this central concern: why is Evernote so poorly implemented that if I take my laptop home, I am forced to open up a program I never use (IE) and tell it to go online before EN will work again?  

At the very least there should be a prominently displayed warning every time a sync fails that says "You may need to launch internet explorer and set it go work online again" so that people don't have to scour the forums to figure out how to get EN to sync whenever they take their laptop home (a daily occurrence for many).

• Level 5*

Hi - the reference to the IE trick is perhaps misleading;  it's a fact (or at least it was - haven't tested it for a while) that if IE won't connect,  then neither will Evernote because the connection protocols that IE uses happen to be the same ones that Evernote does.  That's not because Evernote is trying to make everyone love IE,  it's because the tech happens to be built into every computer.  Make IE work,  goes the theory then so will Evernote.  That's not 'poor implementation' however much it's an annoyance.

And "why does Evernote do this?" Beats the shell out of me.  There's no doubt a technical explanation,  and if you really want you could use the Support and Feedback link (see below) to ask the tech guys for more details.  Don't think anyone here would know.

Make IE work,  goes the theory then so will Evernote.  That's not 'poor implementation' however much it's an annoyance.

That is a very poor implementation for at least 2 reasons: 1. it relies on the totally unreliable assumption that everyone will have IE working (or able to connect) at all times; and 2. every other program in Windows does not have this deficiency.  So it is literally the worst implementation of how to connect to the internet of any windows application out there.  

Connecting to the internet is a very basic capability of almost every windows program.  Only one windows program consistently fails to connect when the internet is available: Evernote.  That makes it a "poor implementation."

• Level 5*

I'd challenge you on the " Only one windows program consistently fails to connect when the internet is available:" purely on the basis that Evernote connects fine for virtually everyone,  most of the time.  There's some bit of technical voodoo involved that gums up the works for a small number of folks,  some of the time.  And this trick fixes it.  Your view is your view however.  No doubt Evernote will change the setup if the number of support requests they receive suggest it is a problem.

• 2 months later...

Hi all - I know this reply is late, but I have just solved this problem on my wife's PC (XP SP3) from clues I got in this post and also elsewhere. My wife's problem was Evernote failing to Sync, Outlook 2003 was not opening embedded pictures in her email messages as well as Avast! antivirus not wanting the connect to their home server.  So here goes and I hope it helps others.

1. First, Evernote is developed using Microsoft .NET framework and uses the API in IE for syncing, 
  2. In IE, check internet options at IE > Tools > Internet options > Connections > LAN Settings > Proxy Server must be disabled if you don't actually use one. Her's was setup to a false server.  Once I deselected the proxy all was well and working, both Evernote and Outlook.
  3. As said before. IE Work offline must also be off.

Also note however, that this problem started a week ago after working for months without problem. So what changed? The server quoted in the proxy server was used for a previous ISP who have now shut it down therefore no more access via that server.

• 4 months later...

I've had a similar problem when my Evernote client couldn't synchronise to the Evernote Server. Although I don't generally use IE, I had to enable TLS under the Security Settings in the advanced tab of the Internet Options. It then worked immediately.

I contacted support after loosing syncing function, changing my password, uninstalling programs, reinstalling it and then NOT being able to open the program at all using my ID and new password.

This is the only reply that was helpful - after telling the respondent I didn't use IE AT ALL, I was still told, sorry, you'll have to use it to get Evernote to run.  I asked why and have received no reply.  Poor fellow; he probably hasn't got a clue why - just following his helpdesk script I imagine.

I'd like to confirm that the necessary security settings to access Evernote are enabled in Internet Explorer.

Go to Internet Explorer > Settings > Internet Options > Advanced. Check "Use TLS 1.0 / 1.1 / 1.2".

The settings screen may look different depending on your version of IE, but it will be something like this: http://note.io/1ySKJ7e

I checked my Windows update history and saw that my IE 9 was updated 10/16.  10/19 was when I attempted a manual sync and all my trouble started.

I'm up and running again after changing the TLS setting.

• Level 5*

The IE settings page is just a handy way to get at Windows' Internet Settings,  which Evernote very definitely uses to get online.  It doesn't matter whether or not you use IE;  your windows computer uses its settings,  and it can affect other applications that connect online.

My Evernote is not syncing, I keep getting this error about Internet Explorer in offline mode.

And I don`t have Internet Explorer installed.

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

Earlier everything has been working just fine, I haven`t noticed what influenced Evernote behaviour.

What should I do to make Evernote sync again?

My Evernote is not syncing, I keep getting this error about Internet Explorer in offline mode.

Earlier everything has been working just fine, I haven`t noticed what influenced Evernote behaviour.

Did you read posts 18 & 19, directly above yours...???

Did you read posts 18 & 19, directly above yours...???

Yes, it doesn`t help. 

I`ve checked Use TLS 1.0 / 1.1 / 1.2.

• Level 5*

I tried the remedy suggested via IE 11 to no avail

I'm ready to ditch Evernote - bloody fed up with being ignored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well if you can give us some background to what version of Evernote you use and what history you have - has Evernote ever worked for you?  What changed?  We'll try not to ignore you...

• 3 weeks later...

IE won't connect to any Evernote HTTPS site in browser and I couldn't sync, and now can't login to it at all.  So tried to change IE settings as mentioned but no luck. I really needed my new note to sync.  Why pay premium and get less than nothing?  Where is the support or real help?

• Level 5*

IE won't connect to any Evernote HTTPS site in browser and I couldn't sync, and now can't login to it at all.  So tried to change IE settings as mentioned but no luck. I really needed my new note to sync.  Why pay premium and get less than nothing?  Where is the support or real help?

See:  Fix to Poodle SSL 3.0 Issue to resolve your connection problem.

Archived