I would like the tags, could be incorporated in the body of the note.

• Level 5*

Currently this is not possible, although a normal text search also includes searching the tags as well. In other words, searching for "dog" would find all notes that contain the text "dog", as well as the tag "dog" (and also have the word "dog" in the title).

Aside from that, what purpose would incorporating the tags as part of the body of the note serve? How would you use it other than the way that you'd use it now?

• Level 5*

You should know that Evernote staff do read all of these posts, so these will be taken as feature requests, even it Evernote folks don't respond directly here.

• Level 5*

The facility you're looking for exists already - kind've.

Evernote doesn't recognise non-alpha characters in the search grammar,  so "#" doesn't actually exist- but you can work around using _underline instead - or unusual number codes like 989this..

• Level 5*

You can type tags in the note,  but they'll be just words like the rest of the text.  If you want findable special characters use _Underlines or 999numbers,  otherwise if you think your text doesn't already contain the necessary keywords,  then just add some more.

winter dna arachnid contretemps

• Level 5*

What was asked for, I believe was to be able to type, say "#MyTag", in the body of a note, and then have "MyTag" be a tag of that note, i.e., it would be found using a tag search, e.g., "tag:MyTag".

gazumped, you forgot parsnips. Or #parsnips.

What was asked for, I believe was to be able to type, say "#MyTag", in the body of a note, and then have "MyTag" be a tag of that note, i.e., it would be found using a tag search, e.g., "tag:MyTag".

That is. Like in Twitter.

• Level 5*

Sorry if I wasn't clear,  but my point was that (as Jefito said) #parsnips won't be found in a search.  Evernote doesn't 'see' the # as a character,  it's just non-significant punctuation.  It does recognise an underline '_' at the beginning of a word (another search issue) so you could find all '_underline' without also tagging the word without the leading character.  Same deal for unique number codes - just make sure you don't inadvertently use an area code that appears in dozens of notes.

Not saying that's better or worse than hashtags,  just the way things work.  I've got my regular hashtags set up as real Evernote tags,  because I can get a list by hitting '#' in the add tag field,  and that works just fine because Evernote finds the word in the tag,  not the body of the note.

(Now I think I gave myself a headache trying to explain that legibly...)

Sorry if I wasn't clear,  but my point was that (as Jefito said) #parsnips won't be found in a search.  Evernote doesn't 'see' the # as a character,  it's just non-significant punctuation.  It does recognise an underline '_' at the beginning of a word (another search issue) so you could find all '_underline' without also tagging the word without the leading character.  Same deal for unique number codes - just make sure you don't inadvertently use an area code that appears in dozens of notes.

Not saying that's better or worse than hashtags,  just the way things work.  I've got my regular hashtags set up as real Evernote tags,  because I can get a list by hitting '#' in the add tag field,  and that works just fine because Evernote finds the word in the tag,  not the body of the note.

(Now I think I gave myself a headache trying to explain that legibly...)

I really don't mind is we use a '_' or  '#'.

Just writting fast and tagging your note at the same time. Without the mouse, or scrolling to top of the note.

Its interesant your explanation (how to), I'll try.

• Level 5*

Actually, at least in the Windows client, a search with #parsnips quoted (e.g. "#parsnips") will find the literal text #parsnips. Seems to also work in the Android client as well. This may not work on other clients, and it's probably a little awkward in practice.

Other than that, gazumped is dead-on.

• Level 5*

Actually, at least in the Windows client, a search with #parsnips quoted (e.g. "#parsnips") will find the literal text #parsnips. Seems to also work in the Android client as well. This may not work on other clients, and it's probably a little awkward in practice.

Other than that, gazumped is dead-on.

Never thought to try that with quotes ;)

• Level 5*

It's almost reflexive with me if something doesn't work without, probably due to overexposure to console/command-line environments. I recognize that it's probably not as familiar an approach to everyone else...

• 3 months later...

I'm coming a bit late to this conversation but I have been searching the forums for a way to find specific parts of notes. It occurred to me to search Evernote for any action items in my meeting notes, which I usually mark with asterisks, but then I discovered that Evernote can't search asterisks, dollar signs, etc. even if you put them in quotes with the associated text. (Searching for $20 will bring up everything with the string 20 in it, even if you search for "$20".) I just tried a new note with "#todo" as a test, based on the discussion above, but Evernote doesn't seem to see any difference between search "#todo" and search "todo", with or without quotes. I'm running Windows but not the latest version - I am still on 4.6.3.8096 (288604). So maybe that's why it's not working for me?

• Level 5*

The rest of the world is up to 4.6.7,  but I don't believe that Search has changed much and certainly not in that respect over the past few revisions.  It's usually worth upgrading when you can to catch the latest bug fixes,  and feature tweaks,  and to avoid falling too far behind the curve;  but it probably won't help with this issue. My watchword is always "whatever works" - if you can live with a number or letter code to mark your items,  you could try that;  or perhaps checkboxes so you can indicate when something is completed...

• 2 months later...

Being able to add tags to the body of a note would be perfect! I am currently a medical student and have been using Evernote to collect all the information of what I have learned throughout the day and ways to link it back to what I've already learned. I would really enjoy having this ability as it really helps in lieu of having templates. For instance, this is how I am using Evernote so far and how I would like to expand upon for better organization of thoughts 

I have a shortcut to my Notebooks "SOAP notes" Stack (SOAP stands for Subject, Objective, Assessment and Plan- this is the standard method that doctors use to compile a patients visit, history and physical exam, course of treatment, etc)

Under SOAP notes stack I have listed certain areas of interest such as "History" Notebook 

Under History I can ask questions pertaining to certain organ systems that someone is having an issue. As of now I am building a sort of "Table of contents" of notes under that area but this is cumbersome and redundant. I would like to be able to do something like this if I had someone complaining of diarrhea 

Shortcut menu:

"SOAP" notebook stack opens

"History" notebook which opens 

My table of Contents note would have this listed underneath:

Review of Systems: 

Gastrointestinal: "this would include a long list of symptoms that I would have "tags" listed that would take me automatically to my tags under that word"

Click on "Diarrhea" tag 

This takes me to my note that would list things that I know are common causes and questions to ask about. 

-Have they been on antibiotics recently? If so, work-up for C.Diff 

-over 50? Considered Cancer unless otherwise ruled out- Work up with Colonoscopy

Of course their are many ways of doing this and I am exploring all my options but I would prefer to have the ability to add designated "tags" or better yet "tag stacks" so that I could have short words (tags) that can lead me somewhere else instead of using the (Link to note) that just shows the name of the note that might be super long depending on what I wrote for example  ( DDX for diarrhea ) 

This is just one of the ways that I am using Evernote to better organize myself in the hospital and would be more than happy to share. 

• 5 months later...

Sorry for my archaeological research but has anything changed in terms of adding tags to the body of the note?

Alternatively - is there a keyboard shortcut that would move me from the body to the tax line of the note? There is ctrl+alt+t (Windows client) which adds a tag but this shortcut is counterproductive. After pressing you get a popup windows where you can add a tag but it requires either some scrolling action or mouse clicking into proper field.... I would like a shortcut that would move me to the tag line where I could add a tag instantly without being forced to grab the mouse.

Sorry for my archaeological research but has anything changed in terms of adding tags to the body of the note?

Alternatively - is there a keyboard shortcut that would move me from the body to the tax line of the note? There is ctrl+alt+t (Windows client) which adds a tag but this shortcut is counterproductive. After pressing you get a popup windows where you can add a tag but it requires either some scrolling action or mouse clicking into proper field.... I would like a shortcut that would move me to the tag line where I could add a tag instantly without being forced to grab the mouse.

No change. What you see is what you get! 

However, with content searching and the suggestion of a special code or underscore prefix for in-text tagging, the workarounds aren't too painful. Not a perfect solution but it does give some extra milage. 

• Level 5*

Thanks, F3 was what I was looking for. CTRL+ALT+T is kinda useless. Too many click required.

Ctrl+Alt+T allows you to create, add and delete multiple tags on multiple notes. Hardly useless, though maybe not what you're looking for in this use case.

Archived