Evernote Simplify Formatting Deletes Encrypted Portion of Note

Narthur

Idea

I just discovered a rather disturbing Evernote bug. In Evernote 5.0.7 running on Mac OS X 10.8.3, simplifying the formatting of a note (select all, then simplify formatting) deletes any encrypted portions. Sadly, I found this out through losing a rather lengthy piece of a note I had encrypted.

Incidentally, is there any chance Evernote has note versioning hidden somewhere? I'd really like to be able to recover the lost portion of my note.

Thanks!

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  Check the web version of the note - if you haven't synced yet,  the old text will still be there.  If you have synced and the content is 'gone',  check in the trash folder just in case (I don't know what Evernote does with the content in that scenario,  but you might get lucky..)

If all the above fails you will need to become a Premium member for a brief period to get access to your history,  which will include a roll-back option.

I do recommend you check the forums for backup instructions too - it's just as well to have your own regularly backed up local copy of your historic notes in case of occasional hiccups like this!

Hi Narthur,

I was able to reproduce your situation, but I also simply went to the Edit > Undo button to un-simplify the formatting and the encrypted portion of text reappeared without an issue. Have you tried that? Even after you sync (after simplifying formatting), you can still Undo the changes and retrieve the encrypted text again.

However, this would only be contained in your current Evernote session -- that is, if you sync (after simplifying formatting), log out of Evernote and re-login at a later time you won't be able to retrieve it.

At the same time, we do support note history for Premium users and like gazumped says, it is always a good idea to regularly backup your notes.

Nevertheless, this is definitely a bug and will be noted. Thanks. 

• Level 5*

Thank you so much for the help! It seems that the information is indeed gone for good, but thankfully it wasn't anything I couldn't live without.

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Sorry for the loss,  but no problem for the replies!!  B)

Thank you so much for the help! It seems that the information is indeed gone for good, but thankfully it wasn't anything I couldn't live without.

Thanks again for the quick replies!

@Narthur -- I know this was awhile back, but wondering if you tried @gaxumped's suggestion of becoming a premium member in order to get access to history (with the option of cancelling after you got your history). Just curious if history is stored for users who are non-premium and then accessible after becoming premium, or if history starts the day one becomes premium.

• Level 5*

AFAIK history is stored for all users,  but Premium users are the only ones able to access that data.  So yes,  it's feasible that you could upgrade for one month,  restore some history,  then downgrade again.  I can't guarantee that will get back 'lost' content,  because the history process is a snapshot "several time per day" so quick fire changes to content might not all be captured.  If the data is valuable it's worth a shot however for the few dollars involved.

Archived