(Archived) Is it possible to have a "duplicate account"?

I kind of want a duplicate account meaning, when I create a note in my main account, it creates a note in this duplicate account too.

May be silly, but the reasons I want this is two-fold. 1) I want to see the times I create notes. So I can get an understanding of myself, for when I'm most creative or note-ful. Create an excel spreadsheet of activity trends and such. 2) I want to preserve my original notes / ideas. Unmodified.

If this is possible, is there an alternative / similar method?

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.

Let's see;  this should be possible in a variety of ways.

1. Open a second account and export from one, import to the other to duplicate notes.
  2. You could also 'share' one notebook with another account to duplicate notes - one of them might have to be premium.
  3. Get a Premium account and all notes have their history back to the date of creation.  You will see the created date and could step back to the original content.

However: IMHO creating any sort of meaningful analysis out of the data is going to be so labour intensive,  you probably won't have time to be creative...

Good luck! :)

• Level 5*

I kind of want a duplicate account meaning, when I create a note in my main account, it creates a note in this duplicate account too.

May be silly, but the reasons I want this is two-fold. 1) I want to see the times I create notes. So I can get an understanding of myself, for when I'm most creative or note-ful. Create an excel spreadsheet of activity trends and such. 2) I want to preserve my original notes / ideas. Unmodified.

If this is possible, is there an alternative / similar method?

Hi. Welcome to the forums! 

(1) If you want to see the times you create notes, then take a look at the metadata for your notes. Each note has: created date/time, updated date/time, location, size, and author. Premium users have access to note histories, which record the content of the note every eight hours or so. I think if you become Premium, you can achieve most everything that you are looking to do.

(2) If you want to see a nice visual display of your notes according to creation date, check out the free third-party integration Bubble Browser (http://trunk.evernote.com/app/bubble-browser/mac). I wouldn't be surprised if one of our third-party developers in the past, or in the present devcup has some way to put this data into a table (see the devcup entries at https://www.hackerleague.org/hackathons/evernote-devcup-2013), and there are way too many apps in the Trunk for me to keep track of (http://trunk.evernote.com/). I also think the Bubble Browser folks might be interested in your ideas for extracting the data into a tabular form, so you could also try contacting them (or any of the other third-party app developers).

(2) I think the note histories mentioned above (Premium feature) ought to keep everything preserved for you (snapshots every eight hours), but if you don't want Premium, you can export all of your notes as .html files every evening and keep your own record that way. Alternatively, you could use Time Machine on the Mac, but it is not very easy to access these notes (you have to import the entire database from whatever day you choose to conveniently browse them).

(3) Sharing notes is one way to have two copies, but because they are synced together, this wouldn't do anything much for you I am afraid. Just to clarify, Free users can share and join notebooks just like Premium users. Only Premium users can allow others to modify notebooks, though.

I agree with Gaz that trying to keep statistics on all your notes on your own is a bit too time-consuming to contemplate, but the data exists, so if a third-party app doesn't exist, someone might be willing to make it. I've actually asked for exactly these kinds of analytic tools in the main app, but I haven't convinced the Evernote in-house developers to do it yet. You are not alone in wanting to track your notes this way :)

Archived