New camera won't focus

Using Android version 5.0.2 on an HTC One X.

Tried to take a photo of some text on a sheet of paper using the updated evernote camera. It wouldn't focus at all on the text which remained blurred in the image. Switching to the stock camera app in the one x, the same image focused fine. Is there some manual way of focusing?

The old version was fine in this regard :(

Thanks

The camera does focus - it just does it right before taking the photo. This is kind of like the old digital cameras that would focus when you pushed the button down half-way. It is slightly annoying because you think the photo is going to be blurry, but it usually works just fine.

I have the same problem as Pat F - the camera doesn't focus properly on text when I take a pic of a page of text and therefore it's blurred. This only happens in Evernote - the standard camera app takes a photo in focus just fine.

Is there something the Evernote camera app is doing differently? It's pretty useless in this regard at the moment.

• Level 5*

Hi all - welcome to the forums.

Have a look under Settings and Note Creation in your Android Evernote settings - there's a tickbox for 'Activate Multishot Camera'.  If unticked (it says) it defaults to the device camera.  Give that a shot*.

(* Vague pun intended..  :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, gazumped. That worked for me too.

But I think an embedded camera, if it can properly focus, is a good idea. It always takes time for the device camera app to load and when I saw the embedded camera in the new Evernote app, I instantaneously liked it. Before I realized that the embedded camera can't focus, that is..

Have a look under Settings and Note Creation in your Android Evernote settings - there's a tickbox for 'Activate Multishot Camera'.  If unticked (it says) it defaults to the device camera.  Give that a shot*.

Thanks Gazumped! That worked.

Any idea if there is such a setting for the Evernote Food application? I have the same issue there, but I'm unable to find a similar setting.

Thanks,

Matt

But I think an embedded camera, if it can properly focus, is a good idea. It always takes time for the device camera app to load and when I saw the embedded camera in the new Evernote app, I instantaneously liked it. Before I realized that the embedded camera can't focus, that is..

I have to agree.  I've been using Evernote for few years now, have all my work notes in there.  The new camera is great, but without manual auto-focus, users will be disappointed and could even quit.

My temporary fix was to find version 4 and install it.

• Level 5*

I have to agree.  I've been using Evernote for few years now, have all my work notes in there.  The new camera is great, but without manual auto-focus, users will be disappointed and could even quit.

My temporary fix was to find version 4 and install it.

OK that workaround also flies.. 

I wasn't condoning the fact that the camera didn't work as expected,  just pointing out that there was an easy temporary fix.

Evernote is, no doubt,  sorting this out for another release..

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, 

I thought my autofocus wasn't working too, but I found that by tapping the screen before taking the picture the autofocus kicks in, focus's, and then the picture came out perfect. 

Dennis 

Neither of these updates work in the new Android update for my Samsung Note 8 tablet. 

This has become a "known" problem with this new release, see here:https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82144-evernote-for-android-v7-release/?p=350988

Archived