(Archived) Evernote for iPad still very bad

mogf01

Hi, I'm checking Evernote regularly to see if it still is useless for me or not. Unfortunately, there seem to be no indication that Evernote will fix the serious usability problems introduced with version 5. The same problems that I posted about in december last year still exists:

The iPad version has a terribly bad UI -- it looks like they just enlarged the iPhone UI which is ok for that form factor but is really not ok for the much larger display on the iPad. There is no "sidebar" like on the OSX, Windows and even the Web View, even though the iPad clearly has room for such a UI element. This makes it very difficult to get any sort of overview of my notes, and the simple fact that it looks very different from the other Evernote clients feels very wrong. I do realize, of course, that UI's a much a matter of taste, and I have really tried to get used to the new UI for the iPad, but the lack of overview of notes/tags has made it rather useless for me on the iPad. Also, an added UI problem with the iOS version is that it cannot show hierarchical tags. Instead, all tags are displayed as being on the same level. Another strange behavior with the iOS version is that the search fields for the tags and notebooks views provides a search for tags and notebooks... while that seems like a logical choice initially, it is really silly from a user experience point of view. It is way more needed to search in notes, which is what the search field is used for in all views in the OSX version. Yet another example of that the iPad version is very different from the desktop version, for some unknown (and bad) reason.

Evernote used to be such a good product, but version 5 is sadly not for me.

Hi,

Have you updated to Version 5.2.3? I think a few of your problems have been addressed such as a 'sidebar' as you describe it. Once you are looking at Notes, select list view by clicking on the icon at the top of the page, then once you select any Note you have a 'sidebar'.

Of course I am sure you aware that the idea of having all OS's the same is not on the cards as each is developed by separate teams.

Best regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sorry C6REW but I agree 100% with mogf01.

I’m really new into Evernote and I’m using the web,
windows, iPad and iPhone UI’s (updated to Version 5.2.3) and it’s a nightmare
switching from one layout to another.

I agree iPhone might be different due the available
space in the screen… but not in the iPad app. It should be as in the windows /
web UI’s:

“...once you select any Note you have a 'sidebar'.”

That’s not acceptable! The sidebar is a must in
theiPad app as it is in the win / web ones. Maybe with a collapsible option…

“Of course I am sure you aware that the idea of having
all OS's the same is not on the cards as each is developed by separate teams.”

Please, that’s not an acceptable explanation! Your
internal (des)organization is affecting your users! I cannot believe each team
is following its own path as I’m sure all the teams go in the same direction
when it comes to functionalities. I can handle a design I don’t like, but we (users)
need a consistent interaction throughout all the platforms.

Please, reconsider it and “put it in the cards”.

Hi seshdyu and welcome to the forums,

First let me point out I am not an Evernote employee, just someone who is able to offer advice when and where I can. That is true of all the Evangelists.

Of course you have the right to make statements about any aspect of Evernote and your opinions are welcome.

All I am doing is pointing out what the facts are with regards to the way Evernote and the development teams work. It's not right or wrong, it just is and for the foreseeable future I cannot imagine it changing.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

I’m sorry C6REW but I agree 100% with mogf01.

I’m really new into Evernote and I’m using the web,

windows, iPad and iPhone UI’s (updated to Version 5.2.3) and it’s a nightmare

switching from one layout to another.

I agree iPhone might be different due the available

space in the screen… but not in the iPad app. It should be as in the windows /

web UI’s:

“...once you select any Note you have a 'sidebar'.”

That’s not acceptable! The sidebar is a must in

theiPad app as it is in the win / web ones. Maybe with a collapsible option…

“Of course I am sure you aware that the idea of having

all OS's the same is not on the cards as each is developed by separate teams.”

Please, that’s not an acceptable explanation! Your

internal (des)organization is affecting your users! I cannot believe each team

is following its own path as I’m sure all the teams go in the same direction

when it comes to functionalities. I can handle a design I don’t like, but we (users)

need a consistent interaction throughout all the platforms.

Please, reconsider it and “put it in the cards”.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

(1) Sidebar

- Tap on the Snippet View option, and then tap on a note to bring up a two-pane view (Snippet + note content). Because the iPad requires a different mode of interaction (touch), I imagine the iOS team chose to make the third pane that is the sidebar in OSX into these sliding sections (All Notes, Notebooks, Tabs, and Places). Remember, the iPad Mini is also out there, so there really isn't a whole lot of space available. It's a design choice that is supposed to make the most of the platform, rather than force a deprecated desktop experience on a tablet user. By the way, iOS is the only UI that allows a customizable Snippet View. This is pretty cool, and I wish it was on OSX.

(2) Search for Tags / Notebooks (mentioned by the OP)

- This is the same as OSX. In OSX you also have a search for tags in the Tag View. Personally, I would prefer to see the main search field permanently at the top of every page in iOS (as it is with OSX). It can be a little confusing to have the function of the search field change, but I don't think it is too difficult to figure out. Just use All Notes for regular keyword searches.

(3) Hierarchical Tags

- Yes, this would be nice. It will probably come someday, but we do not have it yet. There are other features like this that have yet to be added.

I think this version of the iPad app is significantly better than the previous one, and I think it is even better in some ways than OSX. That is quite an accomplishment!

For better or for worse, the apps on each platform are designed by different teams in order to make the most of the capabilities of each platform. The core elements are made as similar as possible, but there is a little more work to be done in making the transition from one operating system to another as seamless as possible. For example, the terminology on Android and iOS is different for the same behaviors. This is confusing, in my opinion. Otherwise, I am glad that the teams make the experience as good as possible for each platform, but I can certainly see why you would want more consistency in the UI. Perhaps this is something they can improve, while also designing for their respective platforms.

• 2 weeks later...

To C6REW:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you were in the development team of Evernote. It's my fault. My apologizes... and my gratitude for the information you (and all of the Evangelists) provide in the forum.

To GrumpyMonkey:

Thank you also for the information. I'll try to work a little more with the different UIs...

In any case I'd like to point out that I haven't changed my mind about different UIs, teams, developments... (just in case someone from the Evernote development is reading theis post).

Thanks again to all of you.

• 4 months later...

I really wish Evernote for iPad would fi these things:

1. allow us to take pictures and record at the same time.

2.allow us to draw on the Evernote with our typed notes, etc.

3. fix that when you have a recording on a bulletpoint and accidentally press the option on the bottom for bullet point it DELETES ALL OF THE RECORDINGS!!!! ugh made me so mad.. and no matter how many times i pressed the undo, my recordings wouldn't come back!!!!!!!

4. allow us to highlight our notes.

• Level 5*

I really wish Evernote for iPad would fi these things:

1. allow us to take pictures and record at the same time.

2.allow us to draw on the Evernote with our typed notes, etc.

3. fix that when you have a recording on a bulletpoint and accidentally press the option on the bottom for bullet point it DELETES ALL OF THE RECORDINGS!!!! ugh made me so mad.. and no matter how many times i pressed the undo, my recordings wouldn't come back!!!!!!!

4. allow us to highlight our notes.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

4. You can highlight. Try the exclamation mark.

Archived