(Archived) Evernote for PortableApps

Actually, I have discovered something and I am not yet too sure that this is working since for the time being I am wokring on the same pc.

I will try to explain.

I have installed the client on a PC, then found out that I could install it on a portable. Indeed, a menu on the client says "install on portable" or something like that. It installed the application successfully on my ipod.

Having removed the client, I am still able to run it from my ipod. The file Database.kdb is saved on my ipod as well.

Now I will check once back home, whether the backup will still be accessible automatically or whether the drive where the backup is located is hardcoded.

I´ll check it further.

Regards.

Actually, I have discovered something and I am not yet too sure that this is working since for the time being I am wokring on the same pc.

I will try to explain.

I have installed the client on a PC, then found out that I could install it on a portable. Indeed, a menu on the client says "install on portable" or something like that. It installed the application successfully on my ipod.

Having removed the client, I am still able to run it from my ipod. The file Database.kdb is saved on my ipod as well.

Now I will check once back home, whether the backup will still be accessible automatically or whether the drive where the backup is located is hardcoded.

I´ll check it further.

Regards.

Yes, you have that option since version 3.0 I believe. However it is not fully portable - it does write to the registry from what I have tested.

The "Install Portable" command within our desktop application should work on any USB drive. This is a bit different than packaging our app up specifically for "PortableApps", which requires that you reorganize your application in certain ways and build a custom package for use in their launcher.

Yeah, I would love a version of Evernote for Portableapps.com. I've thought about trying to install the U3 app suite onto my new USB stick (just for Evernote since its included with the U3 software), even though my stick is not a branded U3 drive.

So, if there was a way to roll evernote for portableapps, this would be great.

Thanks for considering.

You should be able to install the Portable version of our app by running the full client on some Windows machine and then going to:

Tools > Install Evernote Portable...

to install it on your USB drive.

Wow. That's pretty cool. I just posted about how nice EN sync across computers. Having the ability to bring a thumb drive and get the EN desktop experience is another nice surprise.

How does the portable version "clean up itself"? Someone mentioned in this thread that EN writes to registry, that it's not fully portable. Can someone from Evernote explain exactly *what* gets written? Is it small config and/or preference files? Surely user data doesn't get stored on the host machine.

There are two different ways to run us from a USB stick.

If you have a stick that supports U3 (like the SanDisk drives), then you should install our U3 version, which integrates with that environment so that we appear in their menu and auto-update system.

Otherwise, you can do this "Install Portable Version" from our desktop app to put a full, synchronizing, USB-only version onto the stick. I thought that this didn't write to the Windows registry, but I may be mistaken.

This second option is a little less smooth than the first, since you need a full Windows client install on some computer first. The Portable edition on the USB drive also doesn't auto-update, so you need to manually repeat this process later if you want to update it to the newer versions of Evernote.

There are two different ways to run us from a USB stick.

If you have a stick that supports U3 (like the SanDisk drives), then you should install our U3 version, which integrates with that environment so that we appear in their menu and auto-update system.

No thanks. The first thing I do with a thumb drive is yank all the U3 stuff off.

Otherwise, you can do this "Install Portable Version" from our desktop app to put a full, synchronizing, USB-only version onto the stick. I thought that this didn't write to the Windows registry, but I may be mistaken.

I don't really care if it writes to the Windows registry, provided it does not leave any personally identifiable information or store any actual data. I want to be able to go to a cafe with a thumb drive and use the full blown version of Evernote if I want to. When I remove my thumb drive, I don't want any evidence that I was on that computer (though evidence that someone was using Evernote is OK).

This second option is a little less smooth than the first, since you need a full Windows client install on some computer first.

You mean just to create the portable version, right?

Does the creation of the portable version initially install all my data on the portable EN? I assume it would be as if syncing to another computer, just all on a USB drive.

The Portable edition on the USB drive also doesn't auto-update, so you need to manually repeat this process later if you want to update it to the newer versions of Evernote.

That's fine. But what about syncing? If I'm running off a USB drive, EN will still sync over an Internet connection, right?

And what happens in this scenario:

I use Portable Evernote (PEN) on a USB drive on a computer that is NOT connected to the Internet. Later, I update some notes in Evernote on another computer that *IS* on the Internet. Now USB and EN are out of sync. What is the next step? Is there a simple way to update PEN using my main computer? That is, sync the USB version with the data being used with the Windows version? It would be nice to be able to do a "local" update to the USB drive by syncing with desktop data.

Or would I close the desktop version, run from USB and sync over the Internet? Any issues running the portable version from a machine that has Desktop version installed?

I don't really care if it writes to the Windows registry, provided it does not leave any personally identifiable information or store any actual data. I want to be able to go to a cafe with a thumb drive and use the full blown version of Evernote if I want to. When I remove my thumb drive, I don't want any evidence that I was on that computer (though evidence that someone was using Evernote is OK).

No, all of your data is stored on the drive itself. It's a little tricky to run from the drive on a computer that also has a full version of Evernote running, however. You need to fully quit one via right-click on the icon in the system tray to make it go away so you can run the other.

Does the creation of the portable version initially install all my data on the portable EN? I assume it would be as if syncing to another computer, just all on a USB drive.

The initial install on your USB drive just puts the software on there. You still need to run it to sync to the service once.

Synchronization works as if you just had a second computer with a second copy of our software, synchronizing to the same account. If you make a change on the notes on the disk, you need to sync to get those up to the service and get service updates down to the USB drive. Same thing from your other desktop clients. All synchronization goes through the master service that coordinates the data integrity for the various clients.

Installed to USB stick and everything works fine. Didn't have to sacrifice using the U3 ***** to get evernote on my USB drive.

One point: one the iphone version there needs to be a way to browse particular folders. I want to see a list of folders and be able to select the folder and see all the notes in that folder.

Is that possible?

thanks.

There's no notebook browsing on the iPhone to try to keep the UI simple on the limited-sized screen, but you can limit your search to the notes in a particular notebook by adding this to the front of your search:

notebook:"My Cooking NB"

Archived