Working Offline All The Time

I am a technology consultant with multiple clients.  In any given week I will collect notes from multiple meetings, review work and excel documents that I create or a client provides, take a few pictures of white boards and load PDF's scanned out of hard-copy printed docs that clients give me for review.

Evernote appears to do everything I want in terms of taking meeting notes, attaching artifacts to those notes, keeping everything organized and enabling me to go paperless.

There is one major issue however, the nature of the information I receive from clients is such that I can't maintain it in the cloud.  I routinely get financial statements, payroll ledgers and confidential trade secret information that my confidentiality agreements forbid me from storing on line.

So my questions is this...  If I am a premium subscriber, can I download ALL my notebooks to my local machine, store all content on my local machine's hard drive and maintain all of my notes and such without posting them into my Evernote account?

My "daily driver" is a Mac Air with 128gigs of flash storage. I also carry an iPhone and iPad.

Thanks very much.

Andy.

Yes, Evernote has the concept of Local Notebooks, so you could use those. They are never synced to the cloud. Of course, that means they'd never be synced to your iPhone and iPad either.

Thanks bduncan.  I figured that I could work locally and only sync those notes and artifacts that are not confidential thereby making them available to me on across my inventory of devices.

Which brings up a second question...  If I have one notebook per client can I selectively sync some notes in the notebook but not necessarily all notes?  For example, I may want to keep my meeting notes in the cloud so that I can recall them on my iPhone or iPad but keep financial statements and payroll ledgers local and thereby only accessible on my Mac Air.

Can this be done with Premium?

• Level 5*

The Mac client maintains all of your notes on your local hard drive. All are synced except for notes in any "local" notebooks, as bduncan notes. But that means that they may not be shared with other device, like your iOS devices.

The iOS client for iPhone and iPad allows premium subscribers to designate notebooks as "offline", that is, they are available for use when you are offline. Of course, only those notes that are in the cloud.

Thanks bduncan.  I figured that I could work locally and only sync those notes and artifacts that are not confidential thereby making them available to me on across my inventory of devices.

Which brings up a second question...  If I have one notebook per client can I selectively sync some notes in the notebook but not necessarily all notes?  For example, I may want to keep my meeting notes in the cloud so that I can recall them on my iPhone or iPad but keep financial statements and payroll ledgers local and thereby only accessible on my Mac Air.

Can this be done with Premium?

If I'm understanding the question correctly, no you can't mark specific notes as local vs. synced. It's done on a per-notebook basis. So, I guess what you'd have to do is have a ClientABC and a ClientABC-local notebook or something like that.

• 9 months later...

I think I have the same sentiments as the OP. I like the idea of categorizing notes, but I don't like the idea of cloud computing at all, at least for storage of personal info- just too much opportunity for this data to be hacked or unknowingly shared with whoever.  I've been using sticky on my MacBook Pro, but I had to purchase another laptop, and unfortunately, windows 8 was only thing available, which has the Evernote app. Apple's sticky seems very simplistic, so easy to use, but I like the possibilities w/ Evernote.

So, my question is to ask for clarification. Are the local notebooks part of the free app, or does one have to buy the premium service to utilize the local notebooks?  Also, can a person simply copy the data files containing the notes from one device to another w/o having to go online and "sync"?

• Level 5*

So, my question is to ask for clarification. Are the local notebooks part of the free app, or does one have to buy the premium service to utilize the local notebooks?  Also, can a person simply copy the data files containing the notes from one device to another w/o having to go online and "sync"?

Yes, local notebooks are part of the free application. You may be able to copy the notes database from one device to another (assuming that they're the same client type, e.g. Windows, Mac, etc.), but it just seems like a royal pain to do so even if it works. Using a local-only solution also means that you need to be responsible for your own backups and synchronization between database instances: if you edit a note on one machine, and edit a note on a different machine, then your two databases will be out of sync. Evernote is really built for the online scenario; with an offline use case, you're really swimming against the tide.
  • 3 years later...

This sounds good, as I need, too, to keep material out of the Cloud.

With a Windows 10 system , if I download the Evernote App on my Android Phone, is it possible to keep the phone and the PC synced, but prevent either of them from using the Cloud?  So that they just sync with each other?

If Yes, would this IFTTT App also work with such a set up?

https://ifttt.com/applets/236131p-export-instapaper-highlights-to-evernote?show_survey=true

Thanks!

• Level 5*
On 1/6/2018 at 4:50 AM, Tiger Book said:

With a Windows 10 system , if I download the Evernote App on my Android Phone, is it possible to keep the phone and the PC synced, but prevent either of them from using the Cloud?  So that they just sync with each other?

Nope.  Syncing uses the evernote servers as the hub.  

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-06 at 3:50 AM, Tiger Book said:

As @CalS said, Evernote uses servers in the sync process.  There is no option for device to device syncing

Other services may give you a direct sync option.  I know DevonThink (Apple) does not use servers

Archived