(Archived) ✔ Trying to save a password protected pdf through scansnap

Cao100

HI all.  I have searched for an answer, but it is either not out there or my searching skills are woefully inadequate.

I recently purchased a Scansnap s1300i to help scan all of my things into Evernote.  So far it works a  charm, but I have run into a snafu and I don't know what I am doing wrong.  There are certain documents that I have been keeping in Evernote that need more security than Evernote currently offers ( holding my breath for two step authentication!)  It seemed to me that since the scansnap interface allows for me to password protect a PDF that might be a good way to secure some of my more sensitive data.  However, I can't get it to work.  I have set up a specific profile to scan to Evernote as a pdf.  Within that profile I opted into the password protect option.  However, the note that shows up in Evernote is blank. I have tried dragging the protected pdf in from a file and again, it is blank.  I can open the pdf in adobe and the password protect piece is working correctly.  I am at a loss as to how to make this work within Evernote.

Thoughts or suggestions??

HI all.  I have searched for an answer, but it is either not out there or my searching skills are woefully inadequate.

I recently purchased a Scansnap s1300i to help scan all of my things into Evernote.  So far it works a  charm, but I have run into a snafu and I don't know what I am doing wrong.  There are certain documents that I have been keeping in Evernote that need more security than Evernote currently offers ( holding my breath for two step authentication!)  It seemed to me that since the scansnap interface allows for me to password protect a PDF that might be a good way to secure some of my more sensitive data.  However, I can't get it to work.  I have set up a specific profile to scan to Evernote as a pdf.  Within that profile I opted into the password protect option.  However, the note that shows up in Evernote is blank. I have tried dragging the protected pdf in from a file and again, it is blank.  I can open the pdf in adobe and the password protect piece is working correctly.  I am at a loss as to how to make this work within Evernote.

Thoughts or suggestions??

First, 2fa will not protect your sensitive data if someone actually gets to the EN servers or (more likely) your hard drive, unless you encrypt your Evernote database.  If you want more info on the topic, please search the board on security and/or encryption.

Second, PDFs can be password protected or password encrypted.  They are not the same thing.  I suggest you use password encryption.

Thank you for your reply!  I have done a great deal of searching on security and am aware that what I am trying to accomplish with my scanner is not the most secure of options.  I have found the learning curve on this topic to be fairly steep and a little overwhelming and yet I persevere.  I will continue to check into password encryption and Evernote database encryption.  Until I get that figured out though I am really stumped as to why I can't view my password protected pdfs.  Can anyone clear that piece up for me?

Thank you for your reply!  I have done a great deal of searching on security and am aware that what I am trying to accomplish with my scanner is not the most secure of options.  I have found the learning curve on this topic to be fairly steep and a little overwhelming and yet I persevere.  I will continue to check into password encryption and Evernote database encryption.  Until I get that figured out though I am really stumped as to why I can't view my password protected pdfs.  Can anyone clear that piece up for me?

I agree it can be overwhelming.  But I do think as we move to a paperless/mobile/cloud society & with identity theft so prevalent, it's important.  For several years, I thought my passwords were all safe in a password protected Word file.  :o   It wasn't until I started frequenting a message board with a lot ot tech savvy members that I realized how silly that was. 

FWIW, I don't have an answer to your question.  But from your initial post, I didn't know if you were aware of these other issues.  :)   And I use several scanners, including a Scansnap 1500.  But I just scan the docs, keep an unencrypted copy in my Truecrypt (encrypted) drive.  Then I will encrypt the PDF & put it in EN.

Hi Cao100,

I have the S1300 but cannot try this for you as all the ports on my computer are in use for the next couple of hours and bed time beckons in the UK!

I had no idea you could put a password on a scanned pdf within the settings of the scansnap, but it seems a very good idea. Will definitely check up on it and if you have not found the answer report back.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Cao100,

I have just had a go and really should have realised what was happening.

When the 'saved' pdf goes into Evernote, it is, in the first instance an 'open' document. But because it is, in this case encrypted you cannot see anything! Hence seeing a 'blank' document.

If you right click the document and click 'view as an attachment' you will then see a pdf icon which is your document. Double click on this and it will attempt to open and then ask for your password. 

So basically it is working and what a great feature for the Scansnap and Evernote combination. Will definitely remember that for the future.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris

Archived